Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Newbie needs advice - working in US, living in CA

Newbie needs advice - working in US, living in CA

Old Feb 11th 2016, 7:44 am
Just Joined

JacWebster is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Newbie needs advice - working in US, living in CA

Hi everyone

My husband has been offered a job for the US arm of his company, based in North West America but their main client is in Vancouver. We had just started putting in motion the process to move to Vancouver anyway later this year but can we live in Canada and work for a US company? How easy is it to cross the boarder for work purposes?
I'd like to be on the front foot and be ready with information so anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and look forward to getting more helpful advice as time goes on.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 7:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie needs advice - working in US, living in CA

Hi, and welcome to BE.

To work in the US (properly work, rather than just attending an occasional meeting for example) he'll need a visa that allows him to do so - I'll move this to the US immigration section where the kind folks there will be able to help you. You might want to give a little bit more information about the job that he'll be doing, so that they can advise you better.

If he's going to be working in the US on a regular basis, and for any length of time, do make sure you also look into what he needs to do to maintain his Canadian PR and doesn't jeopardise that.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 11th 2016 at 7:57 am.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 11:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Dad worked for Fords all his working career without any issues.

Quite a few other people did as well.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JacWebster
... can we live in Canada and work for a US company?
Yes... many people live in Canada and work for a US company. However, if he's going to be doing any actual work in the US, he'll need a US visa that allows him to work in the US. If he's going to remain in Canada and work in Vancouver (even if it's for a US company), then he needs permission from Canada to live/work there. Can you be more specific about his intent?

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Feb 11th 2016 at 2:02 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

JacWebster is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help. I did forget to mention that we are immigrating from the UK!

I can't give more advice as we don't have it. As I said, was trying to see if it was possible first, which it is - which is great news.

His company is based in Seattle and they seem to have no clue either how to progress but if we can say we want to live in Canada then this gives us a start.

I really appreciate your advice......all of you.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A matter for their Immigration Lawyer.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JacWebster
His company is based in Seattle and they seem to have no clue either how to progress but if we can say we want to live in Canada then this gives us a start.
As a UKC, it may ultimately be easier to get permission to work in Canada while living/working in the US, than it is to work in the US while living/working in Canada. Blaine, WA is right on the US/CDN border and is only an hour from Vancouver!

... they seem to have no clue either how to progress...
Oh dear - this does not bode well. The company needs to have an immigration attorney working for them!

Ian