New York Bar Exam

Old Apr 20th 2016, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York Bar Exam

Originally Posted by Mjdee86
I imagine if you are in hospital and overstay - that you could apply for a B1/B2 at the Embassy on the basis that you overstayed for a legitimate reason (even if you're ineligible for VWP)?
With respect, you seem to think that US immigration is reasonable and/or logical. It isn't. While you are always free to apply for a B-1/2 visa, you'd be unlikely to get it. Why? Because you would have already demonstrated a complete disregard for US immigration rules and regulations by overstaying on the VWP. It wouldn't matter one whit that you were in hospital and overstayed. That is not their concern.

Ian
Old Apr 20th 2016, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So if you are punched in the face for no reason by an Immigration Official in the airport on the way home, and you're in hospital when the 91st day strikes, you're not able to use that as a justified excuse for overstaying?
You can use it as an excuse, but it's not going to make any difference! The onus is always on the traveler to leave when expected.

Ian
Old Apr 20th 2016, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

What Ian said.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 4:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With respect, you seem to think that US immigration is reasonable and/or logical. ....
With respect, I think you should have said "fair", not "logical". ..... The problems people often have with USCIS is with their totally "logical" adherence to the US immigration laws and regulations despite those rules leading to "unfair" consequences.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 20th 2016 at 5:01 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 5:03 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

As I am sure you guys hear on these forums a lot, I get various "advice" thrown at me by non-qualified friends and co-workers, saying things like "just lie" or "just buy an extendable ticket - you'll get a three month stamp in your passport anyway" or "plan a 95 day trip and get a B2 from the Embassy - that way, you'll know you're getting in".
Well, thank goodness you didn't follow any of their advice

Good luck with the bar exam and your future plans!
Old Apr 21st 2016, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Well, thank goodness you didn't follow any of their advice

Good luck with the bar exam and your future plans!
May confirm a few views on Lawyers.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Mjdee86 has a reputation beyond reputeMjdee86 has a reputation beyond reputeMjdee86 has a reputation beyond reputeMjdee86 has a reputation beyond reputeMjdee86 has a reputation beyond reputeMjdee86 has a reputation beyond reputeMjdee86 has a reputation beyond reputeMjdee86 has a reputation beyond reputeMjdee86 has a reputation beyond reputeMjdee86 has a reputation beyond reputeMjdee86 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
May confirm a few views on Lawyers.
Just for my own education, what is the issue with buying a return flight ticket (for one weeks time) and then extending it once you're in the country?

Do they document your printed return date when you go through the POE?

I understand that it is a lie by omission. But that first week the purpose of your visit could be "vacation in NYC" - you wouldn't be lying (although you'd be omitting your intention to extend).

Obviously if you're caught then that would make you permanently ineligible. But I'm struggling to see how you could get caught with that story?

Before some of you jump up and down at me for simply ASKING this question - I reiterate - this is for my own education. I do not intend to do it.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

I'm struggling to see how you could get caught with that story?
You'd likely be fine... right up until the officer specifically asks either how long you intend to stay in the US, or when you plan to leave the US. At that point, it's no longer a lie by omission - you either admit the plan (at which point he catches you in the lie), or you deliberately lie to gain an immigration benefit. Either way, it's not likely to work out well for you!

Now, will that happen? Who knows? I wouldn't risk it, but perhaps you have a greater risk tolerance than I do.

Before some of you jump up and down at me for simply ASKING this question - I reiterate - this is for my own education. I do not intend to do it.
I don't plan on murdering my wife... but if I were to start asking questions about the risks involved - for my own education, of course - it might still raise a few eyebrows!

Ian
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 5:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, a bar exam question
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 12:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Ahhh, a bar exam question
I changed my flight