New US Citizenship and travel

Old Apr 17th 2021, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Bearcub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New US Citizenship and travel

Hello

My husband is a british expat with US Citizenship since November. He still has his UK passport. However, we booked international travel to Mexico for next week only to realise he may need a US passport, is that right? Is it basically impossible to get back into the US without US passport? He seemed to think he could get back in with his citizenship certificate in replace of his green card which is when I realized he needs a US passport. Can anyone confirm or provide any suggestions?
Old Apr 17th 2021, 8:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New US Citizenship and travel

Originally Posted by Bearcub
Hello

My husband is a british expat with US Citizenship since November. He still has his UK passport. However, we booked international travel to Mexico for next week only to realise he may need a US passport, is that right? Is it basically impossible to get back into the US without US passport? He seemed to think he could get back in with his citizenship certificate in replace of his green card which is when I realized he needs a US passport. Can anyone confirm or provide any suggestions?
It is a legal requirement that all USCs enter and leave the US using a US PP. Saying that a US citizen cannot be denied entry to the US. The problem would be trying to board a plane back to the US without a US PP.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 17th 2021 at 8:39 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2021, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hi thank you for your response. It all makes sense when I think about it, you're coming back into USA so they want a US passport. But there is not a way to use UK passport for this entry as a citizen? Visa waiver? I'm just desperately looking at options but am well aware we are 99.999999% having to cancel this.
Old Apr 17th 2021, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

If you get to the border they will have to let him in but if you're flying the airline won't allow him to board without a US passport so that'll be a non starter. US citizens can't apply for an ESTA.

Last edited by Olly_; Apr 17th 2021 at 9:55 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2021, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Got it, thank you everyone for clarification. I've canceled my entire trip and am shipping him back to the UK, jk.
Old Apr 17th 2021, 9:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bearcub
Got it, thank you everyone for clarification. I've canceled my entire trip and am shipping him back to the UK, jk.
He is now a USC...he cannot use the VWP/ESTA.

Airlines are not allowed to take passengers without authorization to enter the US. That’s the problem your husband will have.

I am not sure how long it takes to get a new US PP expedited. Only took a few days for us but that was some time ago.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 17th 2021 at 10:04 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2021, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

If he will be in Mexico he can always cross back into the US by land, if that's compatible with his travel plans.
Old Apr 18th 2021, 1:54 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

As others correctly mention it is required USC use a US passport. I was at EWR a few years ago and witnessed a non USC presenting his foreign passport and folded up certificate of naturalization to CBP. I was through and gone to fast to see the final outcome, but based on what I overheard “you have been told before to get a US passport” I assumed that this was not the first time he was entering without a US passport. He has obviously been allowed to board his flight. Based on his attire and the other flights that arrived at the same time as my LHR I assumed he was coming from Israel, which I don’t believe has the visa waiver.