Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

New SSN and AOS processing time :Chicago

New SSN and AOS processing time :Chicago

Old Apr 11th 2002, 4:10 pm
Joe

Default New SSN and AOS processing time :Chicago

Hello all, I applied for AOS in August 2001 based on my marriage to a US citizen. Got
my EAD in late February '02. I applied for a SSN the same day and was told it would
take 45-60 days...does anyone have any experience on this? Will I have to wait out
aonther month for this? Another question....any updates on the processing time for
AOS in Chicago? From filing to interview? Any help would be appreciated... This forum
rocks...I have always thought that a particularly useless expression but it really is
apt for this site...its been exteremely helpful to me on a number of occasions..thank
you, everyone who posts.

joe

Old Apr 11th 2002, 10:10 pm
Michael D. Youn

Default Re: New SSN and AOS processing time :Chicago

Joe wrote:

> Hello all, I applied for AOS in August 2001 based on my marriage to a US citizen.
    > Got my EAD in late February '02. I applied for a SSN the same day and was told it
    > would take 45-60 days...does anyone have any experience on this? Will I have to
    > wait out aonther month for this? Another question....any updates on the processing
    > time for AOS in Chicago? From filing to interview? Any help would be appreciated...
    > This forum rocks...I have always thought that a particularly useless expression but
    > it really is apt for this site...its been exteremely helpful to me on a number of
    > occasions..thank you, everyone who posts.
    >
    > joe

Hi All!

I have some experience with Social Security. A fine group of people, some of the most
intelligent people in the government work there. LOL

What specific office did you go to in Chicago and do you remember the name of the
service rep that waited on you? You here on a K-1 and did you apply after 90 days
after arriving? If you did even though you had the EAD as work authorization, your
visa status was out of date, so they are probably checking your status.

Take care,

Mike

Old Apr 12th 2002, 6:10 am
Joe

Mike, I applied to the office on Jackson....i think it was an asian woman who took my
application.. i was not out of status or anything..came in on a B1, extended it and
applied for AOS when my wife became a US citizen. Thanks for your input. Joe

Old Apr 12th 2002, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Inaleda is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Joe,

I applied at the same office last August and got my SSN in about ten days.
Did they give you a receipt when you applied?
When I applied they gave me a receipt , told me it wold take around ten days and I think that there was a phone number that I could call and ask if the letter with the SS card wouln`t come on time.
I also think that from this number you can get you SSN even before you receive the letter with the actual SS card, because I remember calling this number and getting mu SSN on the phone.
It is a toll free number , probably you could find it if you search on the web .
I believe that it is quite a fast process unless they haven`t done some changes recently.

About the second part of you question- I also want to know the processing time for Chicago. I hope that there will be people who will come back on this site(OR any other related) and say a word or two about there expirience after having their interviews.

Inaleda
P.S If you don`t get this number le me know, I could look for it.
Old Apr 12th 2002, 11:40 pm
Michael D. Youn

Inaleda wrote:

> Hi Joe,
    >
    > I applied at the same office last August and got my SSN in about ten days. Did they
    > give you a receipt when you applied? When I applied they gave me a receipt , told
    > me it wold take around ten days and I think that there was a phone number that I
    > could call and ask if the letter with the SS card wouln`t come on time. I also
    > think that from this number you can get you SSN even before you receive the letter
    > with the actual SS card, because I remember calling this number and getting mu SSN
    > on the phone. It is a toll free number , probably you could find it if you search
    > on the web . I believe that it is quite a fast process unless they haven`t done
    > some changes recently.

1-800-772-1213

>
    >
    > About the second part of you question- I also want to know the processing time for
    > Chicago. I hope that there will be people who will come back on this site(OR any
    > other related) and say a word or two about there expirience after having their
    > interviews.
    >
    > Inaleda
    > P.S If you don`t get this number le me know, I could look for it.