Moving from the UK to the US

Old Jul 19th 2018, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Reggie Raven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from the UK to the US

Hi,

I'm hoping to move to the states. I am a SEN teacher and wasn't to know where/how to start the process?

I've tried to find exhibitions but they are only Canada, Australia and New Zealand. I can't find any for America.

Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks
Old Jul 19th 2018, 7:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from the UK to the US

You would need an employer willing to hire you in order to start the process. The employer files a petition for a visa (I'm guessing H-1B, but could be something else for a teacher, I'm not sure). If the petition is approved, then you get to apply for the work visa.

I think its an uphill struggle for teachers, because the employer has to show that no USC is available or qualified to fill the position. And has to be willing to pay $$$ for the visa process.

So for you, the first step will be to find an employer willing to hire you and get your visa for you. At this time, that is all you can do.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jul 19th 2018 at 7:34 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 8:54 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reggie Raven
Hi,

I'm hoping to move to the states. I am a SEN teacher and wasn't to know where/how to start the process?

I've tried to find exhibitions but they are only Canada, Australia and New Zealand. I can't find any for America.

Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks
You could have a read of this to see if there is any other way you just might qualify.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA
Old Jul 20th 2018, 12:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

That's because no one in the US will sponsor a teacher for a work visa. It'll cost them thousands of $. You might look at private schools, who have been known to do it in the past, but a public school system is never going to be an option really.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 1:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
That's because no one in the US will sponsor a teacher for a work visa. It'll cost them thousands of $. You might look at private schools, who have been known to do it in the past, but a public school system is never going to be an option really.
My experience of private schools in NJ...they don’t pay well and the teachers usually work on 12 month contracts...which may or may not be renewed each year. Both schools had a few English teachers...probably for the accent.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 2:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What about the poster that was here just last week with a J visa. That poster is a teacher and here on a renewable J visa.

See this thread by IntrepidBrit

UK Benefits and Tax whilst in the USA

Last edited by Rete; Jul 20th 2018 at 2:07 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I had to google that but I know someone who is a SEN teacher, think they use a different term.

She changed schools last year and despite working in a district in Denver which shall we say is not that attractive has had to find a new job this year as her position was only funded for 1 year, good news is she has a job back up here.

Now she is US/Colorado certified/qualified etc and I presume you are not and need sponsorship which is very unlikely in the State sector, so Private would be my suggested focus.

Never heard about exhibitions, if you could explain more I could ask her.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 6:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well I had to google that but I know someone who is a SEN teacher, think they use a different term.

She changed schools last year and despite working in a district in Denver which shall we say is not that attractive has had to find a new job this year as her position was only funded for 1 year, good news is she has a job back up here.

Now she is US/Colorado certified/qualified etc and I presume you are not and need sponsorship which is very unlikely in the State sector, so Private would be my suggested focus.

Never heard about exhibitions, if you could explain more I could ask her.
I think they mean this kind of thing - Down Under Live, the UK's best emigration event for Australia and New Zealand - doubt they would work for the USA as skilled migration is managed so differently.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think they mean this kind of thing - Down Under Live, the UK's best emigration event for Australia and New Zealand - doubt they would work for the USA as skilled migration is managed so differently.
Very different, can not imagine how something like that could operate for the US when so much varies by State.
Old Jul 21st 2018, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yup, those are all Commonwealth countries and operating the points system that our beloved Commander in Chief is so keen to introduce.