New L1A Application

Old Feb 14th 2009, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

MissingGreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New L1A Application

Originally Posted by TheCynick
@Dave:

I recently got my L1 on a blanket petition, and it was pretty straightforward. I forwarded a bunch of stuff to our legal department (CV, job description, history with the company, offer letter etc.) and they sent it to outside counsel for review. A few days later I got the paperwork from legal with a lovely introduction letter addressed to the US Consul here in Dubai. I made an appointment and 2 days later got my passport back with my shiny new L1A in it. On the blanket, if your papers are in order there should be no problems.

@Vimto, we are moving to Atlanta metro in a few weeks. The missus can't wait - it's a bit greener than Dubai
Hi TheCynick I am going for my L1 interview next week in Dubai. Did you have to pay $500 fraud prevention and if so how did you pay it?
Old Feb 14th 2009, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

MissingGreen, I too got my L1 in Dubai 2 1/2 years ago, you pay at the consulate after your interview together with the EmPost fee for pasport delivery. They do accept credit cards for the fraud fee. A word of advise for the consulate in Dubai, get there early as it gets very crowded, take a book with you.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi Vimto,

Thanks for the info Tried calling and emailing consulate but no reply. How long after your interview did you get your visa?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

MissingGreen,
It took 3 days after my interview to get my passport, they give you a tracking number/form/receipt at the consulate, but EmPost being their usual efficient selves don't update their web site so I actually called them after a couple of days to try and locate my passport. They could only tell me it had been collected from the Trade Center, I called later and was told it was with the courier, I put the phone down and cursed them for their inefficiency and at that the EmPost Courier turn up outside the office on his Honda 50cc bike. I checked back on their website a day later and it still was unable to locate my passport tracking number.
I was ever so glad to leave Dubai, 8 years was really enough.
Where are you moving to in the US?
Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vimto
MissingGreen,
It took 3 days after my interview to get my passport, they give you a tracking number/form/receipt at the consulate, but EmPost being their usual efficient selves don't update their web site so I actually called them after a couple of days to try and locate my passport. They could only tell me it had been collected from the Trade Center, I called later and was told it was with the courier, I put the phone down and cursed them for their inefficiency and at that the EmPost Courier turn up outside the office on his Honda 50cc bike. I checked back on their website a day later and it still was unable to locate my passport tracking number.
I was ever so glad to leave Dubai, 8 years was really enough.
Where are you moving to in the US?
Vimto Thanks for reply We will most likely go to Houston. We have only been in UAE 18 months and will also be glad to leave. Will post the results of my visa application
Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have only visited Houston on business so I cannot comment on moving there, there have been some good threads and advice on the Houston area that would be worth searching for.

a few tips based on experience

If you are forced to give up a driving licence as per the attached give up your Dubai Gold Card rather than your UK one, http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ingtotexas.htm

Dont bother trying to close your Dubai bank account unless you have ALL your cheques, they want all unused ones back including any you may have spoilt, after 8 years I was missing a few, instead I just drew down on my account till I had only 30 AED left.

Your old employers office may want a copy of your last Dubai exit stamp after you leave to close out your employment visa so try and remember where it is stamped in your passport.

If you are moving your household goods be prepared for at least a 6 week in transit wait (without secondary scanning) most employers only give you temporary accommodation for 4 weeks. Try and explain and get them to make an exception.

Remember that the US is 110v 60Hz so some/most electrical items may not work here.

Get a rental car with GPS it is invaluable when you first arrive, if not buy one (they are really cheap these days) its very easy to get lost in large cities.

Stock up on British food from Spinneys or Choithrams till you can find somewhere here for HP sauce, Marmite or what ever you crave.

Before you buy a DVD player in the US make sure you can 'hack' it to play region 1 and your current region 2 discs
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Vimto great tips thanks. Did not know about the Bank account closing. I know that I have shredded a number of incorectly written checks so will do as you suggested.

Did you have any problems getting autoinsurance, were you able to carry over a no claims bonus?
My employers have proposed this company http://www.intlauto.com/ who will sell me a NEW car before I arrive in the US including insurance. I would like to take advantage of the current economic situation and buy a used car. What are your thaughts?
Can you reccomend a removals company?

Thanks for your comments
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

No claims bonus doesn't carry over with most US insurance companies, similar to banks they look like they are part of the same group but operate totally separately.
I am insured through a broker who was recommended by a friend, the broker was able to convince the insurance company that I had driven for 30 plus years without an accident (dont ask me how he was able to). I can give you his name in a PM is you want?
Buying a car outside the US is possibly like buying a pig in a poke, today the car dealers here are suffering and will do all they can to sell you a car off the lot these days, we bought an 18 month old Ford Focus with less than 10,000 miles for a little over $10,000 2 years ago and balance of 5 years warranty. I have a 'beater' which is cheap to run.
I suggest you look at the local dealers on line and see what the current going rate for the car of your choice is, use autotrader.com to do some comparison shopping for both new and used cars around the zip code of your Houston office.
We were moved by Writers from Dubai who have a local agent here in Atlanta, its rare to use the same moving company at both ends. The relocation company did a good deal keeping me updated on where the cargo was and also arrange for the disassembled furniture to be reassembled at this end. Nothing was broken or lost which was a great relief.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi Vimto FYI our experience was the same as yours. Had interview Sunday 22 feb was told L1/L2 visas were approved. Passports were ready at Empost 24 We collected them as we coud not wait for next day delivery. Spoke to Writers they are sending a quote. Once again thanks for valuable information. If you do not mind I have one more quesrtion re Bank accounts: Our Co has a relationship with Citi. However I have been banking with UBS for 10 Years. Citi has offices in Houston UBS does not. Your comnments would be appreciated.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was with Citi in Dubai but they are not here in Atlanta, I am with Bank of America currently as they have a convenient location to work. I open my account with a lump sum of cash brought over from Dubai, they opened the account without a SSN card but asked as soon as I got one to give them the number so they could update their records. Initially I had a $500 limit on my credit card but after 6 months I was able to get a card with a more substantial limit.
I used my Dubai credit card to pay for the hotel, meals and rental car etc. when we first arrived then got the company to reimburse me in US$, I also used it to buy the electrical items when we found the apartment, it saved having to transfer the money, thats how I ran down my account in Dubai without officially closing it. I hope you dont have any credit card debt or loans in Dubai as it looks like the banks are getting ugly because of so many trying to leave with massive debts.
One thing you will find unusual here is getting paid every 2 weeks rather than once a month, it helps with the cash flow but takes a while to get used to.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 12:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vimto
One thing you will find unusual here is getting paid every 2 weeks rather than once a month, it helps with the cash flow but takes a while to get used to.
FYI, that's employer-dependent. I've been paid monthly at lots of jobs. And every two weeks, but if you prefer monthly, you can request it.