Need US Police Certificate?

Old Feb 20th 2004, 1:43 pm
Out of Nebraska!

DazzaInTheUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need US Police Certificate?

Hello All

I have another question that I can't find an answer for and I hope all you smart people will be able to help

The process for requesting a UK police certificate for the embassy interview seems pretty straightforward and I don't think I'll have any problems there, but I'm wondering if I need to request one from the US as well.

I remember reading somewhere that you need to have a certificate from every country that you lived in for more than 1 year. Since I lived in Illinois for almost 3 years, will I need to get a police certificate from there? And, if so, how?

Any thoughts or experiences greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Darren
Old Feb 20th 2004, 3:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need US Police Certificate?

An American police certificate is not needed ..they can do their own FBI check
Old Feb 20th 2004, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DazzaInTheUK
Hello All

I have another question that I can't find an answer for and I hope all you smart people will be able to help

The process for requesting a UK police certificate for the embassy interview seems pretty straightforward and I don't think I'll have any problems there, but I'm wondering if I need to request one from the US as well.

I remember reading somewhere that you need to have a certificate from every country that you lived in for more than 1 year. Since I lived in Illinois for almost 3 years, will I need to get a police certificate from there? And, if so, how?

Cheers,
Darren
Hey Darren, just like Ray said, you won't need a police certificate from the US. As a matter of fact, there is no such thing as a police cert here. They will be running your name through the FBI anyway so they will most likely see that you did live here, and would find out if you had anything against you.

Good luck!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Buendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by DazzaInTheUK
Hello All

Cheers,
Darren

I had the same question (my husband lived in the US for 2 years) and was told that we did not need a US police certificate. I'm pretty sure the US will run an FBI check on your name anyway (whether you lived there or not!). Someone else can probably provide details on how/when this happens (I think it happens as your file goes through the NVC, but not sure).

Good luck with the wait!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 4:12 pm
Out of Nebraska!

DazzaInTheUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the responses!

I thought it must be something like that since I couldn't find any details about needing a US certificate, but it is very nice to have it confirmed.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and thanks again

Cheers,
Darren
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:14 am
Just Joined

LornaMcNeill is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

did you ever get an answer to this question? I am in thje same position - I lived in the US for 3 years (until 6 mnths ago) and now want to emmigrate to NZ, but it's not clear how I obtain a US policae certificate. I read somewhere that I need to apply in writing to the FBI and provide a set of rolled ink fingerprint impressions on a fingerprint card taken at a police station, but sounds like I need to be in the US to do that, and I'm not...

Anything you found out would help, thanks!

Originally Posted by DazzaInTheUK
Hello All

Cheers,
Darren
Old Apr 17th 2006, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LornaMcNeill
did you ever get an answer to this question?
I don't want to dampen your spirits, but you are responding to a post that is over 2 years old!

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

did you ever get an answer to this question? I am in thje same position - I lived in the US for 3 years (until 6 mnths ago) and now want to emmigrate to NZ, but it's not clear how I obtain a US policae certificate. I read somewhere that I need to apply in writing to the FBI and provide a set of rolled ink fingerprint impressions on a fingerprint card taken at a police station, but sounds like I need to be in the US to do that, and I'm not...

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm
Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:27 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I don't want to dampen your spirits, but you are responding to a post that is over 2 years old!

Ian
Not to mention the fact that the answers to all of her questions are ALSO over two years old! All she had to do was read the thread to find out what she needed to know...

~ Jenney
Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:38 am
Just Joined

sadie33138 will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

If you are saying that you are going through New Zealand Immigration then yes you will need clearance from the FBI. You need to submit a fingerprint card to the FBI and they will send the report to you directly. See:
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm
For submission to NZIS, I believe the report must be less than 6 months old.
It takes about 5-6 weeks to get the report back once it is in the FBI office.
You can do it from out of the country.

Last edited by sadie33138; Apr 18th 2006 at 10:40 am. Reason: add more info