Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Need some suggestions with my job ad

Need some suggestions with my job ad

Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light
Default Need some suggestions with my job ad

To make a long story short, I do not have an immigration lawyer. Company's immigration lawyer left the company a couple of weeks ago and they are not going to hire one anytime soon. I wanted to hire one on my own, but the company would not pay for it and the lawyer(s) would not accept the fees from me at least for the first part of the process, because it is against the new rule. Basically, I am on my own and would appreciate any help I can get from all of you.

I am on H1B since Oct 07 and my current job title is Operations Research Analyst. Below is the part of the job ad and wondering if we can ask for degrees from two different fields in bachelor's and master's level:

Master's degree in quantitative, analytic or research focused field such as economics, statistics, public policy, or public administration coupled with bachelor's degree in CS/CIS/MIS or related field.

I have a BS in MIS, Master of Public Policy. I also have a MS in MIS which was started before I got this job, but completed after I started working and planning on NOT using it or even if I want, I do not think I can do that.

The goal is to qualify under EB2 category and receive as few resumes as possible. Thank you for your time.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:46 pm
How durrrrr you?

donny_dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need some suggestions with my job ad

Originally Posted by Want2Move
To make a long story short, I do not have an immigration lawyer. Company's immigration lawyer left the company a couple of weeks ago and they are not going to hire one anytime soon. I wanted to hire one on my own, but the company would not pay for it and the lawyer(s) would not accept the fees from me at least for the first part of the process, because it is against the new rule. Basically, I am on my own and would appreciate any help I can get from all of you.

I am on H1B since Oct 07 and my current job title is Operations Research Analyst. Below is the part of the job ad and wondering if we can ask for degrees from two different fields in bachelor's and master's level:

Master's degree in quantitative, analytic or research focused field such as economics, statistics, public policy, or public administration coupled with bachelor's degree in CS/CIS/MIS or related field.

I have a BS in MIS, Master of Public Policy. I also have a MS in MIS which was started before I got this job, but completed after I started working and planning on NOT using it or even if I want, I do not think I can do that.

The goal is to qualify under EB2 category and receive as few resumes as possible. Thank you for your time.
You need the services of an immigration lawyer, whatever it takes, IMHO. Of course, you can be as specific as you like, ask for multiple degrees etc., but then you're kinda stumped when the DOL questions why that is necessary for such an unspeciallized position. Sorry, but that's what it is.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, I am on my own and would appreciate any help I can get from all of you.
Yesterday, you posted that you were still wanting to go to Canada. It sounds as though your current company is helping you make that decision.

Ian
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by donny_dog
You need the services of an immigration lawyer, whatever it takes, IMHO. Of course, you can be as specific as you like, ask for multiple degrees etc., but then you're kinda stumped when the DOL questions why that is necessary for such an unspeciallized position. Sorry, but that's what it is.
Thanks donny_dog. I am still trying to convince my company to pay for the lawyer, but it might not work. I just wanted to give it a shot on my own as there is not much to lose other than the job ad cost. And the company patent lawyer is willing to help, but he does not know much about immigration law. So basically, I need to find the info and tell him what to do. If it does not work, I still have more than 5 years left on my H1B and I can find another job or I can move to Canada if they accept me.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yesterday, you posted that you were still wanting to go to Canada. It sounds as though your current company is helping you make that decision.

Ian
If Canada accepts me, I would go there in a heartbeat. But it seems almost impossible now unless my occupation makes the occupation in high demand list. If my occupation does not make the list, I am even looking at New Zealand. The goal is to LEAVE the US sooner or later, but until I am here, I need to keep moving forward, because there is no guarantee that I will be accepted by any one of those countries.

And you are right, my company is making my decision even easier.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

newby is an unknown quantity at this point

What options have you looked at regarding the EB2 visas?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newby
What options have you looked at regarding the EB2 visas?
I was not quite sure what you mean by 'what options have you looked at'? What options do I have? Only option I have is try to qualify under EB2, if not it is EB3.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

I was not quite sure what you mean by 'what options have you looked at'? What options do I have? Only option I have is try to qualify under EB2, if not it is EB3.
Where are you from originally? The UK?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
Where are you from originally? The UK?
Nepal, born and raised.