need serious help please.....

Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

steUK is just really nicesteUK is just really nicesteUK is just really nicesteUK is just really nicesteUK is just really nicesteUK is just really nicesteUK is just really nicesteUK is just really nice
Default Re: need serious help please.....

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Here's my two cents worth:

It's good that you spoke with an attorney. Now plan for the worst but hope for the best.

In reality, in looks like you'll be going back. There are certain realities that need to be attended to; how to take care of your assets etc.

Next thing, I would say don't give up on your dream. Others, please feel free to correct me, but I would aver you're best option is to go back and reestablish your business in the UK.
The E2 isn't a great option for you because you wont be able to get a green card from it. Do some research on these forums and you'll most likely conclude the same. A big consideration for you should be what will happen to your children. If you get an E2, when they reach 21, they will "age-out" and have to return to the UK.

A better option would be to build up your business in the UK and then, if possible, apply for an L1 visa. That's an inter-company transfer and offers you a relatively quick chance at a green card. I'm not exactly sure in your circumstances how feasible this is but I'd say it is your best option, both for yourself and your kids.

Do some perusing of these boards for info on L1/L2 visas. Incidentally, what is it that you sell?

Good luck.

Octang

i cant and wont give up, im asking for help at embassy and lawyer is filing new E2 and I194. meantime trying to arrange to leave and maybe get a B2 from canada as an englshman married to canadian, this will help me get back and clean up the loose ends and i can also stay here while in process for E2. plan 2 is to then come here in tag behind my wife for green card...instead of other way round.

Biggest problem is simply dealing with the shere volume of stock and jobs that need doing, there is no time, and i dont want the situation (BELOW) - that i cant come back later and clear up, it has to be done before the 180 days and that really is impossible......if yo could se this mess you would see why. anyways tomorrow may bring some news., fingers crossed.......
Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

steUK is just really nicesteUK is just really nicesteUK is just really nicesteUK is just really nicesteUK is just really nicesteUK is just really nicesteUK is just really nicesteUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boiler
Things to investigate:

Will Canada let you in, you seem to have no ties to the UK and will have a Canadian Spouse.

Will the US Consulate in Canada deal with a B application for you, normally Consulates will only deal with Citizens and Residents of the country concerned.

Sounds like you got lucky, or unlucky depending on how you view it, with your VWP entries.
they will let me in no probem they always do esp now i will be married.
they will help with an E i am told.....will see tomorrow when i talk to them.
cam here on 3 occasions for the business under VWP, either way, they were told the truth and were happy to admit me. this may hepl me and/or be a saving grace as im sure there are noted on their system...
)
Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steUK
im marrying a canadian and will get citizenship at some point...
Ah... so you're going to live in Canada? As far as I know, that's the only way you'll get Canadian citizenship.

... and will TRY to get assistance from the US embassy in Ottawa
Since neither of you are US citizens, I wouldn't be too optimistic about getting help from the Embassy! You might have better luck with a US consulate in Canada.

... the dumbass who answered the phone thought embassy was a brand of cigarettes.
Well... actually, Embassy *is* a brand of cigarettes! Quite popular in my neck of the woods.

Good luck to you! Many of us will be following your story with great interest.

Ian
Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:18 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

they will help with an E i am told.....will see tomorrow when i talk to them.
cam here on 3 occasions for the business under VWP, either way, they were told the truth and were happy to admit me. this may hepl me and/or be a saving grace as im sure there are noted on their system...
)
I would respectfully suggest no further posts tonight....things appear a little slurred.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to be the constant bearer of bad news, but I'm pretty sure you can't just show up at the border and expect to live in Canada with no paperwork. That you will be married to a Canadian citizen will put you under tighter scrutiny, not looser.

Ian
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

i cant and wont give up, im asking for help at embassy and lawyer is filing new E2 and I194. meantime trying to arrange to leave and maybe get a B2 from canada as an englshman married to canadian, this will help me get back and clean up the loose ends and i can also stay here while in process for E2. plan 2 is to then come here in tag behind my wife for green card...instead of other way round.
I don't quite follow this part. So you're not going back to the UK at all, right? You're going to both go to Canada. There, you will try to get a B2 in order to return to the USA. You intend to stay in the USA on the B2 while waiting for your E2. Then you intend to go to Canada to live with your Canadian wife, so you can become a Canadian permanent resident?

Doesn't the E2 require you to live in the USA?

Doesn't pursuing Canadian PR status require you to live in Canada?

Can you just switch status from B2 to E2 without leaving the USA? Can you get E2 status within 6 months?

Do you have enough saved to live on in the USA until your E2 comes through? Although a B2 is a business visa, I think it's limited as to the type of things you can do.

Rene
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm sorry to be the constant bearer of bad news, but I'm pretty sure you can't just show up at the border and expect to live in Canada with no paperwork. That you will be married to a Canadian citizen will put you under tighter scrutiny, not looser.

Ian
lol my bad
didnt mean it that way.......
we are going to stay with the in laws for 2-3 months until the E visa is complete, and while im there we will be apllying for my canadian passport etc. not sure how tis all works will find out in canada, however the canadian passprt control will always allow me in as they have the last 20 times.
thanks a lot
J
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

lol my bad
we are going to stay with the in laws for 2-3 months until the E visa is complete, and while im there we will be apllying for my canadian passport etc. not sure how tis all works will find out in canada, however the canadian passprt control will always allow me in as they have the last 20 times.
thanks a lot
J
If Canada is anything like US Immigration, there is no way you'll be getting a Canadian passport in 3 months! I imagine you have to actually live in Canada for a few years before you can become a Canadian citizen and get a Canadian passport.

Rene
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If Canada is anything like US Immigration, there is no way you'll be getting a Canadian passport in 3 months! I imagine you have to actually live in Canada for a few years before you can become a Canadian citizen and get a Canadian passport.

Rene
steUK, you might want to read this BEFORE going to Canada with your wife:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

Make sure you know how to immigrate there properly.

Rene
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:06 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

lol my bad
thanks a lot
J
I don't know a thing about Canadian immigration, but I get the impression you can't just get a Canadian passport just because you're now married to a Canadian.

No offence J, but it's this kind of "we'll find out how it all works when we get there" fly by the seat of your pants attitude that's got you into the mess you are in now.

You need to fully research all the options before doing anything else, and know exactly what the plan is right from the start.

Last edited by ladyofthelake; Jun 20th 2008 at 3:07 am. Reason: additions
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

I don't quite follow this part. So you're not going back to the UK at all, right? You're going to both go to Canada. There, you will try to get a B2 in order to return to the USA. You intend to stay in the USA on the B2 while waiting for your E2. Then you intend to go to Canada to live with your Canadian wife, so you can become a Canadian permanent resident?

Doesn't the E2 require you to live in the USA?

Doesn't pursuing Canadian PR status require you to live in Canada?

Can you just switch status from B2 to E2 without leaving the USA? Can you get E2 status within 6 months?

Do you have enough saved to live on in the USA until your E2 comes through? Although a B2 is a business visa, I think it's limited as to the type of things you can do.

Rene

i am going back to he UK for the interviews etc when the E2 goes to that part.
IF the embassy/consulate will allow a B2 to return to USA to fix the leftovers here, and in the process complete the US based sectors that permit my E2 to be a success, i was told by the officer (not a phone bod) that its possible....not certain, and option, i have to talk to them to see. its just much simpler to do it in canada as a UK passport holder when married to a canadian. lets see.

dont plan living in canada, dont need to 'live' there as it were to get a passport but it takes 3 years. but will be there regularlry (as we are now) visitign family etc.

we hope to be in the US during the E2, dont need to be in canada for the whole time to get a passport (already looked into this, and it isnt quick and dont expect it to resolve anything).

E2 status according to the lawyer will take 2-3 months, thats the process time for the UK right now. cant swicth status and dotn want to, hes simply saying i shuld use the B2 to get here to start the E2 not needing the VWP.

have enough saved, we already invested some $400k in cash into the US.

thanks
J
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Rene
dont plan to be a citizen that fast, it takes time, but a B2 will get me into the US to complete the E2.....thats what the lawyer is saying is POSSIBLE. if we dotn get a B2 i have to wait in canada until the E2 comes thru.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
I don't know a thing about Canadian immigration, but I get the impression you can't just get a Canadian passport just because you're now married to a Canadian.

No offence J, but it's this kind of "we'll find out how it all works when we get there" fly by the seat of your pants attitude that's got you into the mess you are in now.

You need to fully research all the options before doing anything else, and know exactly what the plan is right from the start.
actually you can, its a britsh colony....it seasier for me apparently, however it will take up to 3 years.

it really didnt go down that way either as i previously explained, i was advised to come here and do things the way i did them in the timeframei did them, i followed instructions, its only after that we ave found the guy was bullshitting me.

we seem to have a plan and a backup, doesnt mean it will be easy or smooth, but there is at least 2 options now. better than 1 or none !

thanks
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:57 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

it really didnt go down that way either as i previously explained, i was advised to come here and do things the way i did them in the timeframei did them, i followed instructions, its only after that we ave found the guy was bullshitting me.
That's exactly what I meant with the fly by the seat of your pants style. In this game, you can't just follow instructions without doing your own research and being 100% sure you know exactly what's been filed and why, how things are proceeding, and what possible minefields you could encounter along the way.

Anyway, still wish you luck.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
That's exactly what I meant with the fly by the seat of your pants style. In this game, you can't just follow instructions without doing your own research and being 100% sure you know exactly what's been filed and why, how things are proceeding, and what possible minefields you could encounter along the way.

Anyway, still wish you luck.
I can see Canadian Imigration refusing you entry, and then US taking you into custody.

It would be very fortunate for an E2 application through London to be done in the time scale you mention from a standing start. Without your issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.