Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Need a lot of advice about moving to the USA

Need a lot of advice about moving to the USA

Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Limabean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need a lot of advice about moving to the USA

ok where do i begin

basically i've been dating a girl for nearly 5 years. Shes a born and bread Texan and where now engaged. Obviously the relationship has been long distance with me flying over to US at least twice a year, we currently have no set plans plans wedding wise as she is still in college.
Ever since i first visited i have fell in love with the country and am desperate to move over.

i've had a look at all the visa sites and im pretty much baffled.
iv checked out a company that finds a company willing to sponsor (kind of a go betweener recruitment place i guess)

i know that your qualifications are a factor so here goes

Education wise i have a degree in Digital Animation and Digital Arts with A-Levels in advaced IT and Media Studies

Work wise i work in web & marketing, with roles in project management, editing and Design.

Apart from that i have also been sustaining myself the last 2 years as a Comic book artist (a field i have had quite a lot of success)

and have 16 books published world wide.

i know some folks are gonna say just get married or you aint gonna get in... but i just have to. Being in the states for the first time was like... i felt at home, i felt a sense of belonging. And i know i just cant live in the UK anymore.

what i need is a help working out a plan

my current idea is to rent an apartment for 3 months, or if i can get it i wish to get a 6 month travelers visa(not sure if thats the right name) and stay in the states whilsts attending job interviews in the hope that i can find somewhere. Before going i also intend to pay for the go between companies assistants.

i know an important thing is having a skill no one in the local area has and i do think i have that with the comic book stuff. My main employer comic book wise is a US company

so can anyone help me ?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need a lot of advice about moving to the USA

Originally Posted by Limabean
so can anyone help me ?

Hi:

A good lawyer.

I see the possibility of EB-1 classification. There might also be the possibility of a concurrent EB-2 "NIW" application. [It doesn't hurt to try and a green card is a green card no matter what classification you get it in].

By the way, I have nothing against DIY, but I don't think the EB-1/2 classifications are really not suitable for DIY. Please note that although I am a lawyer, I am not your lawyer. The above statements are simply informed speculation and should not be considered legal advice.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

thanks,

what are the average cost ramifications of an immigration lawyer ?

something else i thought i might add, not sure if it helps.

With the comic book stuff i do work freelance though i am currently negotiating a deal for an agent. not sure if this affects anything

i just wish it was as simple as just renting a place in the states working freelance online and simply paying taxes

Last edited by Limabean; Jan 28th 2008 at 2:00 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

As you are now engaged, presumably you are going to get married sometime soon.......if you are serious about each other. This is by far the easiest way for you to enter the States.

If you do it by way of getting another visa, then you have to go through the headaches of adjusting your status, which can be a real pain in the arse. I don't see the point of doing this, and getting Lawyers involved......when you are already engaged.

Good Luck!

Jim.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

whilst we are engaged, we have no plans on getting married for atleast 2-3 years so that she can finish college and we can be in a better financial situation
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

whilst we are engaged, we have no plans on getting married for atleast 2-3 years so that she can finish college and we can be in a better financial situation
I think your wedding plans will change.

Actually, I would put money on it.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

they allready did, we pushed it forward until a couple of months from now and the stress nearly broke us up. We both felt to young to be married right now, hence the long engagement
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

A good lawyer.

I see the possibility of EB-1 classification. There might also be the possibility of a concurrent EB-2 "NIW" application.
In these cases can one apply for EB-1/2 straight away, or is necessary to apply for H1/O1 first?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

they allready did, we pushed it forward until a couple of months from now and the stress nearly broke us up. We both felt to young to be married right now, hence the long engagement
Congratulations!

US Immigraton has been known to do this.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

You say she's in college. When did you graduate from college - pretty recently? If it's within the last year, you could perhaps qualify for a J-1 visa. I was in similar circumstances as you (had US g/f, but felt too young to get married). Upon graduating from college, I found a J-1 (aka intern) visa would allow me to live and work in the US for a year. It was a little odd to be an intern since I had already graduated, but the system did allow it.

We actually got as far as putting all the forms together for a fiance visa, but then the job and J-1 visa came through in time and we put the plans on hold.

This was back in 2001 and I'm unfamiliar with current procedures. Just might be worth looking into.

Good luck
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

i graduated in november 2006
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We both felt to young to be married right now, hence the long engagement
I was going to comment on your age, but you did it for me. Usually, it's the youngsters who are "desperate to move over". No offense... but immigration is not for the faint of heart!

As for qualifications, as a world-wide author, you may qualify for an O visa. http://www.immigration.com/faq/ovisa.html.

Ian
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

your only young once right.

would a comic book count though as a publication of international repute

uncortunatly aswell i cant credit being the author just an artist.

out of the 16 books iv done

14 were distributed internationally, two of them were also not actually comic book rather Childrens books released as tie in to a summer movie last year
2 were UK only.

a big thing for me is that since near 50% of my income comes from the us it would go a lot further.

btw does anyone know of a good lawyer in dallas
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hobbes79
You say she's in college. When did you graduate from college - pretty recently? If it's within the last year, you could perhaps qualify for a J-1 visa. I was in similar circumstances as you (had US g/f, but felt too young to get married). Upon graduating from college, I found a J-1 (aka intern) visa would allow me to live and work in the US for a year. It was a little odd to be an intern since I had already graduated, but the system did allow it.

We actually got as far as putting all the forms together for a fiance visa, but then the job and J-1 visa came through in time and we put the plans on hold.

This was back in 2001 and I'm unfamiliar with current procedures. Just might be worth looking into.

Good luck
any info aswell on where to start if i want to try an internship ?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

would a comic book count though as a publication of international repute
I've no idea... but unless it is specifically listed as *not* qualifying, I'd say it does!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.