Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Need advice on getting back to UK with no ticket

Need advice on getting back to UK with no ticket

Old Apr 27th 2013, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice on getting back to UK with no ticket

Originally Posted by luvwelly
...and what on earth is the point of a Consulate service if they are not willing to help citizens genuinely in distress?
... but what constitutes genuinely in distress?

The OP has been in the US three years as an overstay. Surely he worked during this time, so why no money for a ticket home? He says he has exhausted friends resources/goodwill.

The British consulate would surely be under fire from British taxpayers if they provided tickets to the UK for every down on their luck Brit who turned up.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 7:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
... but what constitutes genuinely in distress?

The OP has been in the US three years as an overstay. Surely he worked during this time, so why no money for a ticket home? He says he has exhausted friends resources/goodwill.

The British consulate would surely be under fire from British taxpayers if they provided tickets to the UK for every down on their luck Brit who turned up.
Sounds like the OP doesn't have permission to work in the US.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sounds like the OP doesn't have permission to work in the US.
........ but when did that stop anyone? How could he have lived here for three years without doing some work?
Old Apr 27th 2013, 8:04 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Um, I'm pretty sure the OP is female. Natalie is a girl's name, right ? OK it begs the question what have they lived on. Was financial support given by the now ex-partner for all that time ? Did the OP have savings at the start of the relationship ?

I don't know all the ins and outs of their personal circumstances but the OP is trying to sort it out presently.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Um, I'm pretty sure the OP is female. Natalie is a girl's name, right ? OK it begs the question what have they lived on. Was financial support given by the now ex-partner for all that time ? Did the OP have savings at the start of the relationship ?

I don't know all the ins and outs of their personal circumstances but the OP is trying to sort it out presently.
Well the first posting said "came out to be with my girlfriend" - so took a guess that the OP was male - but could be wrong.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 9:16 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatTheBrit
Hi Snap Shot, i'm staying at my ex partner's Dad's place with my ex and her son. Her Dad has been really good (thank god).
My ex will buy stuff when she feels like it, but that's about it.
Natalie x
I get it that it's a same sex relationship, I think. How long has Dad been hosting them ? Does he mind the ex-partner/OP living there too and for free ? What has the atmosphere been like at home in the four months since the break up ? Is OP sleeping on the sofa, the floor, the spare room ? OP being a visa over stayer is an added complication. How did OP let the situation get this dire before asking for help ?

Like I said, I don't know the details of OP's personal circumstances and I don't need to. So why the questions ? They are rhetorical really.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 4:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
That's a bit rude isn't it? What does being Scottish have to do with anything?
He was just relating a past experience and comparing it today's climate.
I wasn't being rude at all, it was a lighthearted comment to a person I've corresponded with before - a person who's more than capable of letting me know if he's offended.
But thank you anyway for your input
Old Apr 28th 2013, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I wasn't being rude at all, it was a lighthearted comment to a person I've corresponded with before - a person who's more than capable of letting me know if he's offended.
But thank you anyway for your input
Well, it came across as a bit harsh. Making stereotypical generalizations about nationalities will do that.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 12:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Well, it came across as a bit harsh. Making stereotypical generalizations about nationalities will do that.
For goodness sake...she's married to a scouser.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 12:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

For goodness sake...she's married to a scouser.
I hasten to point out that he only robs hubcaps on Saturdays

Montfan, you seem to be a little upset so I make an unreserved apology to Scottish people everywhere. Well, maybe one little reservation, concerning one member of my Scottish family in Glasgow, he's a bit of a twit so I don't mind offending him.

Would like to stay and chat more but my kangaroo gets impatient if she's not walked at exactly the same time every night. I'll just finish me Fosters and be off.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Montfan, you seem to be a little upset so I make an unreserved apology to Scottish people everywhere. Well, maybe one little reservation, concerning one member of my Scottish family in Glasgow, he's a bit of a twit so I don't mind offending him.

Would like to stay and chat more but my kangaroo gets impatient if she's not walked at exactly the same time every night. I'll just finish me Fosters and be off.
Not upset on my behalf, some of my best friends here are Scottish and anything but dour, just wanted to point that out.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 28th 2013, 3:05 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Without being unkind......

As the OP in an overstayer in the US and has already incurred the bar for any return to the US for the next 10 years.....

I might suggest she turn herself in at the nearest ICE, CBP or USCIS office and see if they would oblige her with a return ticket to the UK.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 3:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Without being unkind......

As the OP in an overstayer in the US and has already incurred the bar for any return to the US for the next 10 years.....

I might suggest she turn herself in at the nearest ICE, CBP or USCIS office and see if they would oblige her with a return ticket to the UK.
Bad idea...it's already been said that this should not be done without more knowledgeable advice. What do you think they do with people while they arrange to have them deported?
Old Apr 28th 2013, 3:30 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Bad idea...it's already been said that this should not be done without more knowledgeable advice. What do you think they do with people while they arrange to have them deported?
I understand and agree. Completely. I am not seeking to promote controversy.

The OP might be able to find pro bono representation.

In the alternative, she might be able to utilize the services of an immigrant support service, such as Catholic Charities. Organizations such as these have staff on hand and resources for ALL aliens in the US. Such an agency may have experts on hand who could protect her during her exit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.