British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Naturalized! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/naturalized-946633/)

mum 2 3 Jan 5th 2023 7:36 pm

Naturalized!

We arrived in June 2012 on L1 (and L2). Green card application fell into a hole somewhere so didn't receive green cards till May 2017. Applied for Citizenship Aug 22. My hubby had his interview and oath ceremony Oct 22. (so the younger boys got theirs then too). My interview and oath ceremony were today. Two hours from entering the building to leaving with my flag and certificate. Just the 18 yo waiting to hear about his interview now. This final step has definitely been the quickest and easiest to navigate. Thanks to all who post their experiences and help on the board. Knowing the process ahead of time paves the way for a smoother ride.

Olly_ Jan 5th 2023 8:06 pm

Re: Naturalized!

Congratulations!

I will hopefully be following in your footsteps in a few weeks, my interview is at the end of the month.

PeterFrank Jan 11th 2023 1:50 am

Originally Posted by mum 2 3 (Post 13163718)
We arrived in June 2012 on L1 (and L2). Green card application fell into a hole somewhere so didn't receive green cards till May 2017. Applied for Citizenship Aug 22. My hubby had his interview and oath ceremony Oct 22. (so the younger boys got theirs then too). My interview and oath ceremony were today. Two hours from entering the building to leaving with my flag and certificate. Just the 18 yo waiting to hear about his interview now. This final step has definitely been the quickest and easiest to navigate. Thanks to all who post their experiences and help on the board. Knowing the process ahead of time paves the way for a smoother ride.

Congrats!! It's a relief that the journey is over. I naturalized last year and with the way Britain is going I am glad to have long term choices. My process was pretty easy as I had no kids at the time and wasn't married and I was a LPR because of an L1A. The immigration officials seemed like they wanted me to pass.

RICH Jan 11th 2023 3:40 am

Get your USA passport /s and update your status with social security. After that it is plain sailing.

Vimto Jan 11th 2023 3:45 pm

Its been a long time since I last posted but just thought I would chip in on this topic, I applied for naturalization on 10 November 2022 and last week received a notice that I had an interview on 7 February (less than 3 months). Maybe its because I am now over 70 that they are rushing me through, My only concern is that I have been here in the US since late 2006 first on an L1 for 7 years followed by my marital Green Card for almost 10 years am I expected to have copies of ALL my traffic tickets? I don't have any of them as they were so long ago, I paid them and didn't keep the receipts Any how I'll let you know if they give me my flag or not

mum 2 3 Jan 11th 2023 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 13164860)
Get your USA passport /s and update your status with social security. After that it is plain sailing.

Thanks, I applied for my passport the next day, and as soon as I get my naturalization certificate back will update SS. I also registered to vote :-). Placing bets on how long till I get called for jury duty. I had been called twice before I was a citizen so seems they are keen to get me to do it!

tht Jan 11th 2023 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by mum 2 3 (Post 13165098)
Thanks, I applied for my passport the next day, and as soon as I get my naturalization certificate back will update SS. I also registered to vote :-). Placing bets on how long till I get called for jury duty. I had been called twice before I was a citizen so seems they are keen to get me to do it!

I waited on voter registration until a few weeks before an election in which my vote would actually count… for that reason…

If you have not done so already as a PR you can take your passport to DMV and get “Real ID” DO in some states.

excpomea Jan 13th 2023 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by mum 2 3 (Post 13165098)

Be careful with the SS update. Be sure the clown in the office knows what they are doing.
Went through this recently myself, they issued me a new SS number as opposed to updating my details as requested. So now I have 2 SS numbers.

I asked them to correct their error, but they stated they could not cancel the 2nd SS number once issued.
I have to continue to use my original, but keep my 2nd safe.

You just know that some years down the road this is going to cause me issues.

tht Jan 13th 2023 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by excpomea (Post 13165547)
Be careful with the SS update. Be sure the clown in the office knows what they are doing.
Went through this recently myself, they issued me a new SS number as opposed to updating my details as requested. So now I have 2 SS numbers.

I asked them to correct their error, but they stated they could not cancel the 2nd SS number once issued.

or if you can build 40 credits in both….

RICH Jan 15th 2023 2:51 am

Originally Posted by excpomea (Post 13165547)

That sounds like a serious problem that you should follow up on!

Vimto Feb 14th 2023 4:03 pm

I didn't get asked about any traffic tickets

mum 2 3 Feb 15th 2023 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Vimto (Post 13172914)
I didn't get asked about any traffic tickets

did you have many to declare?

Pulaski Feb 17th 2023 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by mum 2 3 (Post 13163718)
We arrived in June 2012 on L1 (and L2). Green card application fell into a hole somewhere so didn't receive green cards till May 2017. Applied for Citizenship Aug 22. My hubby had his interview and oath ceremony Oct 22. (so the younger boys got theirs then too). My interview and oath ceremony were today. Two hours from entering the building to leaving with my flag and certificate. ....

Congratulations! :D
​​​​​​

This final step has definitely been the quickest and easiest to navigate. ...
We always tell people that that is consistently the case, but, after the misery of the visa and/or greed card process(es), I think most people are justifiably sceptical. :nod:

Expatrian Feb 17th 2023 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13173666)

​​​​​ greed card

Is that the Gordon Gecko variation of a green card?

Pulaski Feb 17th 2023 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrian (Post 13173783)
Is that the Gordon Gecko variation of a green card?

Merica! :D

Or a typo. :o