Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Naturalization process likely overlap with green card expiry?

Naturalization process likely overlap with green card expiry?

Old Aug 3rd 2022, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Naturalization process likely overlap with green card expiry?

Hi everyone,
I have lived in the US since April 2010 as a permanent resident. The current card expires 30th March 2023.
I just started the online process for naturalization and submitted all documented evidence they asked for. The portal updated gave estimated process time of 11 months. It says my biometrics do not need to be checked as they have them already.

Question: Is this 11 months pretty standard for whole of USA or just my location? It is the USCIS in Charleston, SC.

Question: I realise now this will overlap with my resident card expiration. When should I start to reapply for resident card? What's the current wait time? I am about 9 months from the expiry of permanent resident card.

Question: What other considerations should I have?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 1:38 pm
LT1
Forum Regular

LT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalization process likely overlap with green card expiry?

Typically it's taking 9-12 months for Naturalization.

You can file I-90 to renew your Green Card from when it's within six months until expiry. Your renewal receipt serves as an extension to your GC.

In your case, I'd wait until Feb 2023 to see if you are naturalized quickly. If not, renew your Green Card then. Unfortunately if you do have to file I-90, it'll be a waste of $540.

Critically you must never let yourself go out of status.
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LT1
Critically you must never let yourself go out of status.
Just for clarity, you won't end up "out of status" if your permanent resident card expires. The card expiration has nothing to do with your actual LPR status.

USCIS used to say that if you filed for naturalization 6 months or more before your permanent resident card expired you could get an ADIT stamp in your passport and didn't need to pay to renew it but they seem to have removed that from their website recently... who knows if that's still policy or not.

EDIT: No, it is still there under special instructions... https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

Lost or Expiring Permanent Resident Card: If you lost your Permanent Resident Card (commonly called a Green Card) or your card expired, you generally must still file Form I-90 even if you have applied for naturalization. However, if you properly file Form I-90 or you filed your Form N-400 at least six months before your Green Card expired, we may issue you an Alien Documentation, Identification and Telecommunications (ADIT) stamp as temporary proof of your lawful permanent resident status.

Last edited by Olly_; Aug 3rd 2022 at 3:36 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 5:16 pm
LT1
Forum Regular

LT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, I never knew this! Not sure I like the ward "may" issue the ADIT.

Although, personally I'd still play safe and submit I-90.
Old Sep 5th 2022, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalization process likely overlap with green card LPR expiry?

So I filed my N-400 naturalization application 7 months before LPR card expires.
I got an email reply as below:
  • If you file your N-400 at least 6 months before the expiration of your Permanent Resident Card, you can ask for an Appointment to request temporary evidence of your status (ADIT stamp) in lieu of filing for a new card. You can ask for an appointment by calling the USCIS Contact Center at: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833).
  • If you file the N-400 less than 6 months prior to your Permanent Resident Card expiring, you should file an I-90 and pay the appropriate fee.

My questions are:
1 - When should I be phoning USCIS? Right now? I don't want to leave this too late and be boxed in a corner. Also how do I get a person to answer and not the auto system? I know it's easy to get caught in a loop.

2 - Trying not to be paranoid should I be applying for I-90 to cover myself? I would rather not spend the money of course.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 6th 2022, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Call and say “infopass” to speak to a real person.
Old Sep 6th 2022, 10:39 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in practice, had several clients who completed naturalization with no problem after their cards had expired. In particular, recall one client who had a long invalid form I-151 card. (Form number is NOT a typo). On top of that, despite birth in the Western Hemisphere, she was allowed to adjust as British under the colonial sub-quota. In fact, the examiner was intrigued with the historical artifact.
Old Sep 7th 2022, 12:51 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
When I was in practice, had several clients who completed naturalization with no problem after their cards had expired. In particular, recall one client who had a long invalid form I-151 card. (Form number is NOT a typo). On top of that, despite birth in the Western Hemisphere, she was allowed to adjust as British under the colonial sub-quota. In fact, the examiner was intrigued with the historical artifact.
Wow that form was discontinued in 1978.
Old Sep 7th 2022, 3:19 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Wow that form was discontinued in 1978.
Yep. And they were invalidated in 1996 or so. Any non-citizen still holding one was required to file an I-90 to obtain an I-551 card.

So, the client I mentioned had a card which had been invalid for nearly 20 years. USCIS didn’t blink. If anything, they were amused.
Old Sep 13th 2022, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband, 18yo son and I filed last month. Online approximation said at the time 15 months. On Friday my husband got his notification of interview for October! Mine now says 11 months.
Old Oct 20th 2022, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mum 2 3
My husband, 18yo son and I filed last month. Online approximation said at the time 15 months. On Friday my husband got his notification of interview for October! Mine now says 11 months.
Is this Newark or Mt Laurel (assuming you're still in NJ)?

My husband and I filed for citizenship last week so I'd be interested in your timeline to give us an idea of when we should expect to be interviewed as we're only a couple of months behind you.
Old Oct 22nd 2022, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
Is this Newark or Mt Laurel (assuming you're still in NJ)?

My husband and I filed for citizenship last week so I'd be interested in your timeline to give us an idea of when we should expect to be interviewed as we're only a couple of months behind you.
My hubby had his interview and then oath ceremony today in Newark. (less than 2 months from applying) My 18 year old son and I are currently showing 7 months. All submitted at the same time, so not sure it helps you with a timescale?
Old Oct 24th 2022, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mum 2 3
My hubby had his interview and then oath ceremony today in Newark. (less than 2 months from applying) My 18 year old son and I are currently showing 7 months. All submitted at the same time, so not sure it helps you with a timescale?
Less than 2 months is incredible! I think the time estimate shown online is a complete guess to be honest, I wonder if you'll get your interview scheduled soon...?