Naturalization for kids?

Old Nov 4th 2005, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold
Default Naturalization for kids?

Hi.
As I understand it, once I get to the States, I will be eligible to apply for citizenship after three years.
What about the children? I've searched through the USCIS site but can find no mention of their status. Presumably they will be subject to the five year rule?
Can anybody confirm this for me please?
Old Nov 4th 2005, 3:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalization for kids?

Originally Posted by britnyank
Hi.
As I understand it, once I get to the States, I will be eligible to apply for citizenship after three years.
What about the children? I've searched through the USCIS site but can find no mention of their status. Presumably they will be subject to the five year rule?
Can anybody confirm this for me please?

Children are handled differently. You can check it out on the CIS website but once the parent has become a US Citizen, the children under the age of 18 will become a derivative USC if the child is currently residing with the newly naturalized parent and said parent has legal custody, the child is a lawful permanent resident of the US. Look up the Child Citizenship Act of 2001 for more details on legitimacy of the child, etc. Also if the child is not yet a PR at the time you become a US citizen, they will automatically become one when they become a PR and meet the other requirements.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rete
Children are handled differently. You can check it out on the CIS website but once the parent has become a US Citizen, the children under the age of 18 will become a derivative USC if the child is currently residing with the newly naturalized parent and said parent has legal custody, the child is a lawful permanent resident of the US. Look up the Child Citizenship Act of 2001 for more details on legitimacy of the child, etc. Also if the child is not yet a PR at the time you become a US citizen, they will automatically become one when they become a PR and meet the other requirements.
Hi. Thanks for your response. I've checked out the Child Citizenship Act, and it all seems quite straightforward except for the fact that my children will be over 18 although under 21 when I become naturalized. What is the position for them in this case? What will they need to do?
Thanks again!
Old Nov 6th 2005, 7:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britnyank
Hi. Thanks for your response. I've checked out the Child Citizenship Act, and it all seems quite straightforward except for the fact that my children will be over 18 although under 21 when I become naturalized. What is the position for them in this case? What will they need to do?
Thanks again!

They will apply for citizenship on their own in that case.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

northspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
They will apply for citizenship on their own in that case.
I am sorry I missed this post completely and started a new thread.
Thank you for the information in this thread.
Just want to clarify though, can my children who are both over 18 apply after only 3 years?
thanks
Old Nov 6th 2005, 1:02 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by northspoon
I am sorry I missed this post completely and started a new thread.
Thank you for the information in this thread.
Just want to clarify though, can my children who are both over 18 apply after only 3 years?
thanks

I don't believe so. The rule for 3 years is for spouses of US Citizens. Children might get derivation citizenship when their parent naturalizes and they are under 18. However, they would only qualify based on the five year ruling because they are not spouses. Please verify this with the CIS by reading the Guide to Naturalization. It is very detailed on who is and is not and when and when not they are eligible to apply.