Names on n400

Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

sunnyla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Names on n400

So Thanks all for your advices on my n400 application! I am also thinking about adding my husband's last name to mine on the application (I just used my maiden name before).

What are your opinions on this? Does it create confusion everyday in general? How about signature? Should I sign with the two new names, or same signature as before?

Thanks!!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:48 am
Just Joined

joeyseven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Names on n400

Originally Posted by sunnyla
So Thanks all for your advices on my n400 application! I am also thinking about adding my husband's last name to mine on the application (I just used my maiden name before).

What are your opinions on this? Does it create confusion everyday in general? How about signature? Should I sign with the two new names, or same signature as before?

Thanks!!
If you just wanted to use your husband's last name, you can do it anytime. Because your marriage certificate is the legal document for your to add your husband's last name.

Sign the application with your current legal name. Your new name is not yet legal until you've got the approval from court.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What are your opinions on this?
It will make no difference whatsoever to your status. You *are* allowed to call yourself whatever you want... as long as the intent is not to commit fraud.

If you want to take your husband's name you can... and you *can* sign the N-400 with that name... because a formal name change is *not* required for you to take his name after marriage.

If you request a formal name change to your husband's name on the N-400 (there is a specific place to do this), when you become a USC your husband's name will be your new legal name. If, at some point in the future, you get divorced... your legal name *will* be your husband's name... even if you don't want to use it anymore... and then you'll be in a bit of a pickle.

Ian
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:24 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you include a name change in the divorce filing.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

If you request a formal name change to your husband's name on the N-400 (there is a specific place to do this), when you become a USC your husband's name will be your new legal name. If, at some point in the future, you get divorced... your legal name *will* be your husband's name... even if you don't want to use it anymore... and then you'll be in a bit of a pickle.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

sunnyla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input! As far as having two last names, what are your thoughts? i.e. Mary Smith Jones.
I'm thinking of adding his last name to mine but I'm wondering if it is troublesome later as last names don't typically have a "space" in between letters. I'm not just referring to the immigration process, but to every day life in general after I change my legal name... because my maiden name sounds like a middle name.

Thanks!!
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not just referring to the immigration process...
Changing your name is a personal decision. Do it... don't do it... it's entirely up to you. This is not an immigration issue.

Ian
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:54 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

sla,

My sister-in-law sometimes uses her maiden name (e.g. Smith), other times uses her maiden name hyphanated with her husband's surname (e.g. Smith-Jones).

After 30 years I still haven't figured out how she decides which variant to use for what purposes.

Regards, JEff

Thanks for the input! As far as having two last names, what are your thoughts? i.e. Mary Smith Jones.
I'm thinking of adding his last name to mine but I'm wondering if it is troublesome later as last names don't typically have a "space" in between letters.