name on 1040 tax form

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 5:07 pm
timiny74

I cranked up TurboTax the other day and tried to input my wife's name. TurboTax said that
the name has to match exactly with what it says on her SSN card. Due to a little mix up
when we first filed AOS, the forms had her maiden now so her EAD, AP, and SSN all have her
maiden name on them. I've heard that the SSA won't change an SSN card unless the INS
stuff, like EAD, has the married name on it. Our plan is to renew the EAD this month (it's
nearing a year since she got her original EAD) and supply the marriage certificate to get
the EAD changed, then go to the SSA office to get the SSN updated. Is it wise to do all of
this and then file our tax forms (since we have till April
16)? Or should I just put the maiden name on there, or should I just go ahead and put the
married name on there even though the SSN card hasn't been changed? Thanks, Matt

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 5:16 pm
Rita

Why don't you just try to have her SS card changed. All you are asked for is the original
marriage license and the completed form. Only takes a few days to come back to you.

Why can't you file the 1040 using her name as it appears now. Many women file jointly
without having assumed their husband's surname. The IRS is only being picky about the
surname matching what is on the social security card, not about a woman's right in not
changing her surname after marriage.

Rita

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
> I cranked up TurboTax the other day and tried to input my wife's
name.
> TurboTax said that the name has to match exactly with what it says on her SSN card. Due
> to a little mix up when we first filed AOS, the forms had her maiden now so her EAD,
> AP, and SSN all have her maiden name on them. I've heard that the SSA won't change an
> SSN card
unless
> the INS stuff, like EAD, has the married name on it. Our plan is to renew the EAD
> this month (it's nearing a year since she got her original EAD) and supply the
> marriage certificate to get the EAD changed, then go to the SSA office to get the SSN
> updated. Is it
wise
> to do all of this and then file our tax forms (since we have till
April
> 16)? Or should I just put the maiden name on there, or should I just go ahead and put
> the married name on there even though the SSN card hasn't been changed? Thanks, Matt
>

>

--
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& Snotty Bitch!!!!!!!

The K1 FAQ is now at http://www.k1faq.com www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 5:35 pm
timiny74

>
> Why don't you just try to have her SS card changed. All you are asked for is the
> original marriage license and the completed form. Only takes a few days to come
> back to you.
>
I guess I could call the SSA toll free number and see if they'll accept just the marriage
certificate. Since SSA offices are only open until 4pm it's very difficult for my wife to
take off any time to go there. I'd have to use a precious day or partial day of leave just
to find out that they want to make sure the INS EAD matches the new married name and be
turned away.

> Why can't you file the 1040 using her name as it appears now. Many women file jointly
> without having assumed their husband's surname.
The
> IRS is only being picky about the surname matching what is on the social security card,
> not about a woman's right in not changing her surname after marriage.
>
> Rita
>
If they simply want to match what is on the SSN card then I guess we're fine. It's just
that she's been assuming the new last name in most instances so we thought we'd use the
new name on the tax forms as well. I guess we'll go the easiest route and just use her
maiden name (unless we get the SSN card changed because we updated the EAD to the new
name). Thanks for the info. -Matt

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 6:17 pm
marjeta

[...]
> Why can't you file the 1040 using her name as it appears now. Many women file jointly
> without having assumed their husband's surname.
The
> IRS is only being picky about the surname matching what is on the social security card,
> not about a woman's right in not changing her surname after marriage.
[...]

Is IRS picky about other things, for example, the order in which the names appear on the
joint return?

For example, if a couple files one year under wife's name and another year under the
husband's name, and so on. Then the other spouse is listed in the "spouse" box.

Has anybody here done that?

Marjeta

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 6:28 pm
Rita

Actually our 1998 taxes were Her/Him

1999 taxes were Him/Her

Now I am wondering how to do it for 2000. Hmmmmm wonderful if I can get TIN's for the two
Canadian Kitties ... Samathan and Daren Wilson with Rita and James as qualifying persons
for head of household )

Rita

--

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 6:28 pm
Rita

Actually our 1998 taxes were Her/Him

1999 taxes were Him/Her

Now I am wondering how to do it for 2000. Hmmmmm wonderful if I can get TIN's for the two
Canadian Kitties ... Samathan and Daren Wilson with Rita and James as qualifying persons
for head of household )

Rita

--

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 6:30 pm
sine nomine

I guess I could call the SSA toll free number and see if they'll accept
: just the marriage certificate.

How to Apply For a Social Security Card

If you need to replace a lost Social Security card, change the name shown on your
card, or request a replacement card, you need to complete Form SS-5 which is available
for download.

Or you can call 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local Social Security office. These
services are free.

In addition to completing the form you need to furnish identification:

To get a replacement card, you usually need one identifying document. Your replacement
card will have the same number as your old card. Some documents that we can accept as
proof of identity are:

1.Driver's license
2.Marriage or divorce record
3.Military records
4.Employer ID card
5.Adoption record
6.Insurance policy
7.Passport
8.Health Insurance card (not a Medicare card)
9.School ID card

For a name change on your card, you need documentation that shows your old name and
your new name. Your new card will show your new name but will have the same number as
your old card.

(from http://www.ssa.gov/replace_sscard.html)

--
sine | deb who changed her name back in the 80s with just the marriage certificate