N600 application for children

Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:50 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N600 application for children

Originally Posted by crg
I'm going to nitpick your wording for the benefit of other readers.

Your kids didn't derive. Derivation means they were US citizens at birth based on their parentage. Your kids weren't citizens at birth. Your kids benefited from a law called the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 and acquired citizenship automatically because they were under 18, resided with you when you naturalized and had been admitted as permanent residents. They essentially piggy-backed on your naturalization without filing the forms and paying the fees.
I'll nitpick right back -- one might call it "derivative naturalization." I know that I tend to use the term "acquisition" for those who become AmCits at birth. [FWIW, I'm actually lecturing on this on Friday at the Los Angeles County Bar, but I digress].
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:52 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
My original thinking was that if the parent's original naturalization cert is required for each N600 application, then all 3 applications can't be filed at the same time. I have one naturalization cert and my wife has one so we could file 2 N600's simultaneously. However, the 3rd child would have to wait until a parent's naturalization cert was returned before the 3rd child's N600 application could be filed. So instead of taking let's say 5 months, the entire process of obtaining 3 citizenship certs would take 10 months.

However, I've just re-read the N600 application notes (http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-600instr.pdf) and it says copies are acceptable - which I obviously missed on the first reading. So all 3 applications can be filed separately and at the same time.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
BTW, for those who have the older versions of the naturalization certificate with the red warning of doom against photocopying -- it is OK to photocopy for lawful purposes.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Another point on N600 applications for citizenship certs. I initially did not think they were necessary since I could obtain US passports for the kids by providing the supporting documentation that proves that they became USC's through naturalization of a parent. My thinking was that they could simply keep their US passports valid ad infinitum via renewals without submitting all the same supporting documentation again.

However, I recently heard about someone who had obtained US citizenship in this way, lost their US passport years later and then had trouble proving US citizenship because he didn't have ready access to the necessary supporting documentation.

Passport application form DS-11 has to be submitted in person along with the supporting documentation in order to replace a lost/stolen US passport - similar to a first time passport application. In this case, the child has to provide proof that the following conditions were met in order to prove US citizenship through naturalization of a parent:

- at least one parent became a USC through naturalization (need the original naturalization cert)
- the child was under 18 at the time (birth cert)
- the child was lawfully present in the US at the time (PR card)
- the child was in the legal custody of the parent at the time (this might be trickier to prove years later)

So now potentially even MORE documentation might be needed than when the original US passport application was submitted (when the child was likely a minor and showed up in person with his/her parents). For example, something like school or medical records might be needed to prove that the child was in the legal custody of the parent at the time of the parent's naturalization.

If the child simply obtains a citizenship cert, I believe it negates the need to provide proof of all of the above. The damned thing now costs $600 though so it's an expensive proposition for someone with multiple kids.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:28 pm
BE Commentator

On the N-600, I think they should set different fees based upon prima facie complexity. Many N-600's are a piece of cake and can be adjudicated in two minutes or less. For some, $600 will be a bargain.

BTW, they do this on passports.

Rant over.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Note that those aged 14 and over are normally requested to take the oath of allegiance to get the certificate:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Taking the oath doesn't make them U.S. citizens - as they are already would have to be citizens to be eligible - but it appears to be a USCIS requirement to get the certificate.

Once the N-600 applicant obtains a certificate then his or her details are recorded on USCIS records, and more importantly, status as a U.S. citizen is accepted by USCIS. With both a valid Citizenship Certificate and passport it is highly unlikely they would have to re-evidence citizenship in future. However, relevant supporting documents should always be retained by the applicant. Indefinitely.

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 22nd 2013 at 12:43 am.