Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

the N400 speeding-ticket-as-arrest issue

the N400 speeding-ticket-as-arrest issue

Old Mar 13th 2010, 2:25 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the N400 speeding-ticket-as-arrest issue

Originally Posted by Simon&Vik
If you've gotten a speeding ticket, do you check "yes" for committing a "crime or offense for which you were not arrested" AND for having "been arrested, cited or detained by law enforcement"?

BAH! Don't want to check yes on 2 things for 1 error, but don't want to "hide" anything either...
Just tick yes to the "been arrested, cited or detained by law enforcement" question.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 4:43 pm
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Just tick yes to the "been arrested, cited or detained by law enforcement" question.
Thanks. We weren't sure because speeding is a crime/offense & he wasn't arrested, so...

They make it so confusing! Why can't it be like job applications? They specify that they're no interested in traffic offenses.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 4:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon&Vik
Thanks. We weren't sure because speeding is a crime/offense & he wasn't arrested, so...

They make it so confusing! Why can't it be like job applications? They specify that they're no interested in traffic offenses.
The question about committing a "crime or offense for which you were not arrested" is just a catch all to denaturalize you if they discover you're Joe the Axe Murderer a decade down the line.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 12:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The question about committing a "crime or offense for which you were not arrested" is just a catch all to denaturalize you if they discover you're Joe the Axe Murderer a decade down the line.
Australia is similar ... you can lose Australian citizenship for crimes committed before you became a citizen, even if convicted many years later.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 3:18 am
Just Joined

indo79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, a newbie here and I hope that you will be ok with me asking this question.

Q15 asks, Have you ever committed a crime or offense in which you were not arrested for?

I am submitting my N400 in 2 days, and I realized I had 2 speeding tickets back in 1998 when I was 18. The first one was 10 mins after I bought my car and the second was 2 months later. Both times, I paid the fine on the spot to the officer and drove off. It was definitely under $500 each time. I do not remember the dates or the actual city since it has been so long. I also no longer hold a driver's license from that state since I moved.

Part of me wants to put this as Yes to the question but part of me also wants to just ignore it since it has been 12 years, and it happened when I was a stupid 18 year old.

I figure if the officer asks me about them, I can just say oh yeah I do remember getting tickets 12 years ago. Since then I have not gotten a speeding ticket.

What would your advise be?

Thanks
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indo79
You can NOT ignore the question... however, speeding is neither a crime nor an offense as listed... it is a "moving violation". Check "no". You must check "yes" to the next question... since a speeding ticket is definitely a citation - and you must enter *to the best of your knowledge* where and when, and what the outcome was.

Ian
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indo79

Thanks
My advice would be to read this thread, particularly post #22.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can NOT ignore the question... however, speeding is neither a crime nor an offense as listed... it is a "moving violation". Check "no". You must check "yes" to the next question... since a speeding ticket is definitely a citation - and you must enter *to the best of your knowledge* where and when, and what the outcome was.

Ian
Thanks Ian. I checked yes to #2 since I'd rather be honest and assume that a speeding ticket is a citation. It all happened 12 years ago so I don't remember too much
Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Zonie
My advice would be to read this thread, particularly post #22.
I did read the thread and your post #22, wasn't particularly helpful.

You sent it in 3/12/10. I sent mine in yesterday, received this morning at 10.03am AZ time. Good luck
Old Apr 15th 2010, 4:32 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

I've been noticing how many people here assume that being given a traffic citation constitutes an arrest. That need not always be the case. For example, the Ohio Supreme Court has specifically rejected “the concept that receipt of a traffic citation is the functional equivalent of an arrest.” State v. Darrah (1980), 64 Ohio St.2d 22, 27, 412 N.E.2d 1328.

In fact, some courts have said that "the existence of an arrest is dependent upon the existence of four requisite elements: (1) an intent to arrest; (2) under real or assumed authority; (3) accompanied by an actual or constructive seizure of the person; and, (4) which is so understood by the person arrested.”

You weren't free to go until you'd signed the summons -- it was an arrest.