British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   N400 question - reporting DWI charge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/n400-question-reporting-dwi-charge-566164/)

Clangers Oct 9th 2008 3:46 pm

N400 question - reporting DWI charge

I was reading the application form last night, as I'm getting ready to complete mine and start the process, and it says that you have to list all criminal records.....well I had a DWI (never went to court, didn't lose my license, never paid a fine), about 18 years ago. I don't know exactly what the charge was - do you know how I can find that information out, and should I disclose it.

I think I should disclose it, but need to find the correct charge before doing so, as the form does say about not lying!!

Any help or advice is appreciated - thanks

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 9th 2008 3:58 pm

Re: N400 question - reporting DWI charge

One of those forms that is impossible to answer, as far as info on this particular incident you would have to contact whichever authority was involved.

Folinskyinla Oct 9th 2008 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Clangers (Post 6860060)
I don't know exactly what the charge was - do you know how I can find that information out, and should I disclose it.

OT -- I recently had a consultation where person told me had had a long ago DUI and also he had been arrested in the 80's on charges of drug trafficking -- they never told him what it was really about, no charges were ever filed, and he was released with nothing further having spent a long time in jail while the authorities figured out what to do.

A court records check showed the DUI and the prior drug charges with guilty plea and sentence for time served.

MORAL: contact the court clerk of the jurisdiction in which you were arrested and see if anything is there. If so, get a certified copy of the disposition. If not, get a certified letter or certificate of no record.

meauxna Oct 9th 2008 4:35 pm

Wow, they will have to add a new form question:

"Have you ever been convicted for a crime and served jail time without knowing it?"

Ray Oct 9th 2008 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6860208)
Wow, they will have to add a new form question:

"Have you ever been convicted for a crime and served jail time without knowing it?"

When Joycee worked at an Insurance Agent ...
She was surprised at the number of people who forgot
all their traffic convictions anything up to 20 of them
slipped people minds..

Although having heard her ask a client what car he had
and the reply was a blue one ..its not surprising

MsElui Oct 9th 2008 8:47 pm

i had to answer an insurance form once for a claim i was making about a car I had shunted ' what was the make and model of the car involved' - my answer 'a red one'. I have no bleeding idea what make or model it was to this day! I dont notice cars at all!

Tracym Oct 10th 2008 10:59 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 6860806)
i had to answer an insurance form once for a claim i was making about a car I had shunted ' what was the make and model of the car involved' - my answer 'a red one'. I have no bleeding idea what make or model it was to this day! I dont notice cars at all!

LOL I answered the question the same way re. Keith's car shortly after we bought it - I did remember it was a Saturn. But the model? Ummm... a little white one.

Hey, it was a cheap used car, I didn't care what model it is. Still don't know - but it is a kinda cute little thing.