Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 Interview today - Oath on Monday!

N400 Interview today - Oath on Monday!

Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default N400 Interview today - Oath on Monday!

Well, went and got my interview done today - and what do you know, the guy said the next Oath Ceremony is on Monday, how'd you like to go to that one?

That's the best thing that has happened during this whole drawn out process. So basically, from filing the N400 to the Oath, the whole thing will have taken just a little over 11 months.

As far as the interview goes - it was very straightforward. Got there with only two minutes to spare before my 9:10 appointment (Thanks Tampa traffic), fought through the usual bum rush of people by the door without appointments (why are they always there????) - but needn't have worried about running late as USCIS had had computer problems earlier so they were running a bit behind. Still, was called in for my interview at around 9:35.

The officer was very businesslike, but a good guy. Had a wad of documents with me, but all that was asked for was passport, green card, and driving license. Went over my application and ticked everything off. Only asked for clarification on one point - asked why I was out of the country for a 4 and half month stint last year (short term contract in Abu Dhabi). Told him, he was happy.

I did have another couple of trips overseas since I filed my application - I had foreseen this coming up due to the help from folks on this board, and had already redone that page of the application which I presented, which he was very happy about.

Then cracked straight into the test, asked the following with my answers:

What do the stripes on the flag represent? Original 13 states
Who makes new laws? Congress
What is the supreme law of the land? Constitution
Name 3 of the original 13 States? Virginia, Massachusetts, Georgia
What is the presidents official residence? (Felt like saying Crawford Ranch) but said White House
What is the highest judicial authority in the land? Supreme Court.

He then said "I won't ask you who we got our independence from"
Was asked to write a sentence to spell - "I must say goodbye to the Queen"

And that was it, a wrap in about 15 mins, asked me about going to the Oath on Monday, asked if I had any travel plans as my UK passport would be no good in the US after that; if I did should go for a later one, which I thought was nice of him to ask in case anyone didn't know that.

So almost a close for me - and in time to cast my vote against the "Party of Evil" that is currently in power The officer said that I will be able to register to vote at the Oath ceremony.

Thanks to everyone who contributes about this sort of stuff on this board - knowing what to expect is great. The most stressful part of the whole deal was when i was approved, and had to leave the officer and sit in the waiting room to get my invite to the Oath Ceremony - had to wait about 45 mins (along with others wondering if they had forgotten) - just wanted to get that in my hand!

Last edited by Dan725; Jul 25th 2008 at 1:29 am.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:04 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Interview today - Oath on Monday!

Congratulations!!! Sounds like you had a nice interviewer with a sense of humor (*shock!*)!

Quick question -- you said, "I did have another couple of trips overseas since I filed my application - I had foreseen this coming up due to the help from folks on this board, and had already redone that page of the application which I presented, which he was very happy about."

Are you saying that you prepared an updated N400 application which reflected the changes? I thought that they just wrote down anything that had changed since you submitted the form initially.

Mark's interview is in a couple of weeks so I want him to be prepared!!

~ Jenney
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Congratulations!!! Sounds like you had a nice interviewer with a sense of humor (*shock!*)!

Quick question -- you said, "I did have another couple of trips overseas since I filed my application - I had foreseen this coming up due to the help from folks on this board, and had already redone that page of the application which I presented, which he was very happy about."

Are you saying that you prepared an updated N400 application which reflected the changes? I thought that they just wrote down anything that had changed since you submitted the form initially.

~ Jenney
All I did was re-do that one page since I filed, being as I knew they'd ask. The minute he started to ask about trips after I filed, I pulled that out of my file and gave it to him - he said wow thanks, great - pulled out the old page, inserted my new page, and moved right on.

I figured anything to speed up the process would be worth doing; makes you appear organized as well
Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:11 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
All I did was re-do that one page since I filed, being as I knew they'd ask. The minute he started to ask about trips after I filed, I pulled that out of my file and gave it to him - he said wow thanks, great - pulled out the old page, inserted my new page, and moved right on.

I figured anything to speed up the process would be worth doing; makes you appear organized as well
Wow, Dan, that's great news. I was thinking about you today and wondering how it was going! Are you going to be able to join the family on the vacation or are you stuck at home now since the oath is Monday?

Oh, and you should know that your performance with redoing the travel page has earned you a spot in the BE Anal Retentive (AR for short) Club..........excellent bit of organization!

~SecretGarden
Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

~ Jenney
I just gave an updated spreadsheet of the attachment I'd enclosed with my original N-400 form. It was just taken, punched and put in the file. I have a pending trip in the beginning of September and she stuck a Post-It note to that effect in the file. Hope I get an oath ceremony date soon!

Last edited by AlanR; Jul 25th 2008 at 1:15 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Wow, Dan, that's great news. I was thinking about you today and wondering how it was going! Are you going to be able to join the family on the vacation or are you stuck at home now since the oath is Monday?

Oh, and you should know that your performance with redoing the travel page has earned you a spot in the BE Anal Retentive (AR for short) Club..........excellent bit of organization!

~SecretGarden
Oh no, not stuck here at all - the vacation is only 50 miles away Going down there tomorrow; had to work after the interview today, spent most of the afternoon telling everyone in the office about it all! I'm going to donate my flashcards because some of the locals could do with brushing up on their civics skills

Re the travel page - I didn't do it!
Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. Easy Peasy as they like to say.

We had to wait for our appointment letter as well. But by that time the wait is easy isn't it.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
Congratulations. Easy Peasy as they like to say.

We had to wait for our appointment letter as well. But by that time the wait is easy isn't it.
It is - but all I could think of was getting that in my hand so I could get out of there, before they had another computer failure, or other mishap, which I wouldn't have been surprised about!!
Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:59 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Re the travel page - I didn't do it!
Should your wife be taking over your spot in the Club then?

What a great couple of days for you! Successful interview, vacation, Oath ceremony, voter registration......can it get any better?!

~SG
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Should your wife be taking over your spot in the Club then?

What a great couple of days for you! Successful interview, vacation, Oath ceremony, voter registration......can it get any better?!

~SG
Good point, I'll make sure I get a lottery ticket!!
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Dan ..Its been a journey ....
Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:00 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Dan.

Wonderful news about the Oath ceremony so close after your interview. I hope it all goes as smoothly for me. I am returning from our vacation for the interview! Luckily we had some spare air miles to get me a ticket. SG - does that put me in the AR club also??

bye for now

Maggie
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

(Also posted on the TSC Filers thread)

Well, its finally a wrap for me!

Went down to the Tampa Convention Center today for 1pm for the afternoon ceremony - there had also been one earlier in the day. 500+ people sworn in in the morning, 427 the afternoon. All families present, it was pretty busy.

All I took with me was my letter inviting me to attend, and my GC. Got there just before 1pm; they then started the proceedings, and I got in line and we all handed in the attendance letter and our GC's. The GC was retained by the officer; the attendance letter marked with a number 0-9 and returned.

At about 2pm, the ceremony kicked off proper; there were people present from 73 different countries. There were 21 Brits, and about 20 Canadians as I recall; two of the biggest groups represented, behind Mexico (about 75) and Cuba (about 85). The Announcer read out all countries and had everyone stand.

We were then all sworn in; following this, had the some very nice essays were read out by some 5th graders about US diversity making the country great.

National Anthem was sung, then watched a video from the dumb one in the White House welcoming us to the US, pledge of allegiance was said; and that was it - all US Citizens.

Final thing was to file forward in varying lines, as dictated by the numbers written on the attendance letters, to receive the coveted Certificate of Naturalization.

Other things there - You could apply for passport and register to vote - but there were massive lines around, and our little 2 year old daughter was just about done for by this stage, so I just picked up an application for each and we left to go for a nice meal to celebrate - I'll fill in those applications slow time.

All in all a great day - really pleased, as it's finally complete!

My final full timeline:

15 Aug 2004 - Received CR-1 Visa via DCF at US Embassy in Cyprus
09 Nov 2004 - Entered US on CR-1
Aug 2006 or so - Applied to remove Conditions
Feb 2007 or so - Conditions removed; 10 Year GC received
13 Aug 2007 - N400 to TSC
14 Aug 2007 - N400 received by TSC
19 Dec 2007 - Check Cashed
27 Dec 2007 - I-797C Notice of Action received.
20 Feb 2008 - Fingerprinting (was supposed to be 4 March, but I rescheduled earlier by walk-in).
17 May 2008 - Interview Notice received for July 24, 2008.
24 Jul 2008 - Interview Done, Oath scheduled for
28 Jul 2008 - Oath Ceremony at the Tampa Convention Center 1:00pm; became a US Citizen.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:15 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Dan!!!

Wonderful to hear about your day! Your post was a great read and I could almost picture the event!

Well done.

Maggie
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:16 am
The Missus

Let me be the first to congratulate you!

I bet it feels great to be completely done. Fantastic!!

~SecretGarden

PS Maggie beat me to it...........

Last edited by SecretGarden; Jul 29th 2008 at 2:16 am. Reason: second, not first!