Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 interview next April 10 and divorce dismissed

N400 interview next April 10 and divorce dismissed

Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:22 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: n400 stipulation of discontinuation of divorce

I thought I was being facetious.

Apparently not.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
p,

My opinion is that you should hire an immigration lawyer to attend your interview with you. The lawyer's function will be to give you a sharp jab to the ribs when you open your mouth and start to shoot yourself in the nuts.

Regards, JEff
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

peppino is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah
I sound confused now but I will NOT be on April 20 the day of the interview.

My marriage is valid and I will pass the interview and will be a citizen next May;

If anything comes up I ll answer the IO questions straight to his/her face.

No lawyer is needed with me except for the fact I will get legal advice before the interview
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peppino
Yeah
No lawyer is needed with me except for the fact I will get legal advice before the interview
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah

My marriage is valid and I will pass the interview and will be a citizen next May;
Cool. But how do you know your oath ceremony will be in May?

If anything comes up I ll answer the IO questions straight to his/her face.
Yes, of course. It's always best to look right at someone when talking to them. Just be sure not to say more than you need to.

Very, very, smart thing to do.

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 interview next April 10 and divorce dismissed

Peppino my dear,

chill out take a beer and relax.

You will be fine, assuming you are reconciled with your wife. from your first post "we actually still live together in a marital union" that is the important part.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

I ll get a beer for sure tonight

But Relax is not that easy...

Bring a NYC lawyer with me to Garden City will cost me around 1.000$..

And still my wife the day of interview will be in Europe, + I may maybe have to explain my marriage status...

Some of My friends are suggesting me to just leave it alone and file next year with 0 worries..... And maybe they are right
Old Mar 14th 2009, 3:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I ll get a beer for sure tonight

But Relax is not that easy...

Bring a NYC lawyer with me to Garden City will cost me around 1.000$..

And still my wife the day of interview will be in Europe, + I may maybe have to explain my marriage status...

Some of My friends are suggesting me to just leave it alone and file next year with 0 worries..... And maybe they are right
Your wife being in Europe is a non-issue....she isn't allowed into the interview with you anyway.

If you are eligible next year not based on marriage, that sounds like a good option, too.

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Having read all your posts to date, I have concluded that you are a worrier. Not a bad thing but sometimes not a very good thing in situations like this.

You have filed for naturalization; during the waiting period your wife filed for divorce; then your wife has decided to reconcile and withdraw the divorce paperwork; your interview is upcoming (either the 10th or 20th of April you give both dates in this thread); you have had the advice of your divorce attorney regarding the withdrawal of the divorce paperwork; advice from the laymen here on the forum; money is one of the main criterias that worries you.

As I see it you go to the interview on the 10/20 of April with all your paperwork in hand. The interview is paid for and non-refundable. You give honest facts to questions asked. If you succeed, fine; if not, you reapply next year. Your wife does not have to attend the interview.

Unless there is a reason why you MUST be naturalized this year, perhaps you are bringing over a parent?, what are you worried about? The cost of $675? If you are that financially strapped your wife would not be going to Europe for three weeks. If it is for pleasure that is an expense trip and if for business, then she earns enough to afford the $675 next year for the application.

So stop worrying, enjoy the start of spring, and let the chips fall where they may.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Having read all your posts to date, I have concluded that you are a worrier. Not a bad thing but sometimes not a very good thing in situations like this.

You have filed for naturalization; during the waiting period your wife filed for divorce; then your wife has decided to reconcile and withdraw the divorce paperwork; your interview is upcoming (either the 10th or 20th of April you give both dates in this thread); you have had the advice of your divorce attorney regarding the withdrawal of the divorce paperwork; advice from the laymen here on the forum; money is one of the main criterias that worries you.

As I see it you go to the interview on the 10/20 of April with all your paperwork in hand. The interview is paid for and non-refundable. You give honest facts to questions asked. If you succeed, fine; if not, you reapply next year. Your wife does not have to attend the interview.

Unless there is a reason why you MUST be naturalized this year, perhaps you are bringing over a parent?, what are you worried about? The cost of $675? If you are that financially strapped your wife would not be going to Europe for three weeks. If it is for pleasure that is an expense trip and if for business, then she earns enough to afford the $675 next year for the application.

So stop worrying, enjoy the start of spring, and let the chips fall where they may.
Rete:

As you know, my response in many cases is "it is your choice." And on my part, that choice will be honored. However, I have had many of the questions you do here -- and I have had many consultations where my nose will twitch and I find it necessary to ask one or two pointed questions. If the client tries to evade, I mention attorney-client privilege and it won't go out of this room. Quite often I will then get the "real" answer and have a "Colombo moment."

As a bit of general advice to everybody -- you may not want a person snooping into your background and having a "Colombo moment." That is understandable. But it is a lot better to have that happen in the privacy of the attorney's office then before the USCIS officer.

Also, the above statement is not really in my financial interest -- I often get removal defenses where the initiating application was the denied N-400.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

I appreciate your participation to this blog

Would you disclose on a N400 interview based on 3 years rule that a divorce was filed then withdrawn?

People here keep saying I am a worrier: maybe I am. I just want to stay away from misrepresentation and don't want to joke with immigration officers:
the last time I was on a immigration interview me and my wife had to go through a STOKE interview: a super painful 50 recorded detailed questions!

If and when you want to respond: Thank you
Old Mar 14th 2009, 4:35 pm

Would you disclose on a N400 interview based on 3 years rule that a divorce was filed then withdrawn?
Not unless I was asked about it specifically.

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2009, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Hi:

Not that I disagree, but

I have a client with a pending 9th Circuit case. He married and they did a DIY I-130. A dissolution petition had been filed and then withdrawn. CIS knew about and sent an RFE from Hell to the client.

It should be noted that Court filings are public record and are often available on-line.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Neither would I.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,
Folinskyinla

So how did the case ended? You said Dissolution filed than dismissed: are dismissal also recorded in public records?

Can you please advise on my case?
Would a divorce dismissal after filing a N400 affect my interview?

I will produce all the evidence re the dismissal to the interview of course,

The background of my case has a STOKE interview on file back in 2005 and I had a hell of an experience..

Your reply will very appreciated Folinskyinla

Thank you
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Mr. F is an attorney but not your attorney. He will not make a judgment call on your case because he does not know all the particularities and won't know them until you plonk down a consultation fee.

Personally, if your AOS interview in New York City was a Stokes, I, too, would be worried. Apparently something caused USCIS to not believe the evidence you provided and now you are flirting with a divorce/withdrawal issue on that very same marriage.

Loosen the purse strings and consult an experienced immigration attorney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.