Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 Interview in LA in less than 48 hours

N400 Interview in LA in less than 48 hours

Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

hollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud of
Default N400 Interview in LA in less than 48 hours

So the clock is ticking but on Wednesday morning I'm going downtown for my interview. I am so nervous and part of it may be because I don't feel ready. I haven't read through all the questions in the book and haven't gotten all my paperwork together in one place, although I should have it all since it was needed for the original application.

Last night I noticed on the check list that I received that 2 passport photos were optional, but not mandatory - did anyone else need them?

Anything else you needed to bring with you or that you just did, that wasn't listed on the letter?

I'm also nervous about the traffic tickets I failed to mention (some of which I have NO paperwork for) and I also have a past arrest, from almost 10 years ago, and while there was no conviction, I also have no official paperwork to say it was dismissed.

*fingers crossed* that it all goes okay.

By the way, I think part of my apprehension is purely because I'm still hesitant about this whole citizenship process and if it's the right choice for me. My husband (a USC) says we're stuck paying taxes here regardless of my status, due to his status, but that doesn't make me feel less anxious about that side of things.

Any last words of wisdom or advice?
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:16 am
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of
Default Re: N400 Interview in LA in less than 48 hours

Originally Posted by hollywoodgirl
So the clock is ticking but on Wednesday morning I'm going downtown for my interview. I am so nervous and part of it may be because I don't feel ready. I haven't read through all the questions in the book and haven't gotten all my paperwork together in one place, although I should have it all since it was needed for the original application.

Last night I noticed on the check list that I received that 2 passport photos were optional, but not mandatory - did anyone else need them?

Anything else you needed to bring with you or that you just did, that wasn't listed on the letter?

I'm also nervous about the traffic tickets I failed to mention (some of which I have NO paperwork for) and I also have a past arrest, from almost 10 years ago, and while there was no conviction, I also have no official paperwork to say it was dismissed.

*fingers crossed* that it all goes okay.

By the way, I think part of my apprehension is purely because I'm still hesitant about this whole citizenship process and if it's the right choice for me. My husband (a USC) says we're stuck paying taxes here regardless of my status, due to his status, but that doesn't make me feel less anxious about that side of things.

Any last words of wisdom or advice?
In Spanish the word Worry means "Pre-Act"...is what you do before you actually take action. The way to fix it is to act. Listen to the test question CD and open the book so you KNOW you will know the answers, and do your best to gather all the papers that you have on hand. I think they like you to take two additional pictures in case the two original ones had a problem or were lost. I did not need anything for my traffic violations... couldn't confirm for sure on the arrest. I;d do my best to get any sort of print out tomorrow. Better over prepared.

Once you find it all, you will know your worry is needless because you have acted to prepare. Some of the questions are common knowledge, but others you have to read to know... (i.e. ho wrote the Federalist Papers ? few people know that one)

You can only fail the test twice before you have to pay the full fee again, so it's in your best interest to pass the test the first time.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

hollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud ofhollywoodgirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by A I
In Spanish the word Worry means "Pre-Act"...is what you do before you actually take action. The way to fix it is to act. Listen to the test question CD and open the book so you KNOW you will know the answers, and do your best to gather all the papers that you have on hand. I think they like you to take two additional pictures in case the two original ones had a problem or were lost. I did not need anything for my traffic violations... couldn't confirm for sure on the arrest. I;d do my best to get any sort of print out tomorrow. Better over prepared.
Okay, so I went through the whole book last night and had my husband quiz me. I got all my 2 questions right, so I'm feeling better about the questions. I'm going to go through them a couple more times today too.

I think I have extra photos as well, which I'm going to look for, but I'm not going to kill myself to run around and get new photos taken today. If they really need more, I'll make a plan. Besides the two I may have are the same as the two I sent.

For the arrest, I went downtown to the LAPD headquarters or whatever and asked them for a record and they couldn't find anything. They gave me a print out to such effect, which only noted that there was an arrest, but nothing else. Then i went to another building across town as directed and paid for some other paperwork to show I had no criminal arrests, DUIs, hit and runs, etc.
I have a copy of an old document which shows that I participated in some alternative program by the court and that upon the completion all charges were dropped.
I don't think I'd be able to come up with anything anything new today, but I just worry that these things will be sufficient.

Originally Posted by A I
Once you find it all, you will know your worry is needless because you have acted to prepare. Some of the questions are common knowledge, but others you have to read to know... (i.e. ho wrote the Federalist Papers ? few people know that one)
I've actually studied this one! And only know because my husband went to a school named after one of the writers!

And yes, definitely want to pass first time - thanks so much for the advice! And kick in the ass to get moving and prepared. 24 hours to go....
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 2:59 pm
A I

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

I went to my Interview a few weeks ago. The agent was very reasonable, and I think you have plenty of proof.

You appear to be well prepared. I would not worry if I were you.

May I ask what the arrest was about, and if any charges were later filed ?
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by A I
I went to my Interview a few weeks ago. The agent was very reasonable, and I think you have plenty of proof.

You appear to be well prepared. I would not worry if I were you.

May I ask what the arrest was about, and if any charges were later filed ?
It was shoplifting or "petty theft" as went down on the citation. The store dropped the charges and there was no further action.

Probably the biggest regret of my life, but a valuable lesson learned from it, so can't really wish it never happened.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:33 am
A I

If I may further inquire...Did you ever admit to anything ? Immigration is complicated, and yoy might be considered guilty if you admitted to the offense, even if charges were drpped.. I would be very careful with your word choices on what hapenned if you are asked about it. Mr Folsinsky (I'm sure I butchered his name) has a GREAT list of rules to follow when interviewing with USCIS, something along the lines of don't lie, and don't answer more than you are asked. Look them up.

I'm pretty sure that as long as you have kept your good behavior and good moral character for 5 years, you will be OK.

You'll probably ace the interview and the whole thing will be extremely anti-climatic...

Best of Luck.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by A I
If I may further inquire...Did you ever admit to anything ? Immigration is complicated, and yoy might be considered guilty if you admitted to the offense, even if charges were drpped.. I would be very careful with your word choices on what hapenned if you are asked about it. Mr Folsinsky (I'm sure I butchered his name) has a GREAT list of rules to follow when interviewing with USCIS, something along the lines of don't lie, and don't answer more than you are asked. Look them up.

I'm pretty sure that as long as you have kept your good behavior and good moral character for 5 years, you will be OK.

You'll probably ace the interview and the whole thing will be extremely anti-climatic...

Best of Luck.
I cant recall what I did or didn't admit to, so I'll be careful around this and I am familiar with the rules of interviewing. I will definitely NOT lie about anything and will only provide detail for that question, especially since I need to mention that I didn't list traffic offenses. For everything else, I know to only answer the question being asked and nothing more. I'm probably nervous for nothing and I hope you're right and that it is all anti-climatic. This was 10 years ago in January, and nothing has happened since, so I definitely meet the 5 years of moral character requirement.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:25 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

I cant recall what I did or didn't admit to, so I'll be careful around this and I am familiar with the rules of interviewing. I will definitely NOT lie about anything and will only provide detail for that question, especially since I need to mention that I didn't list traffic offenses. For everything else, I know to only answer the question being asked and nothing more. I'm probably nervous for nothing and I hope you're right and that it is all anti-climatic. This was 10 years ago in January, and nothing has happened since, so I definitely meet the 5 years of moral character requirement.
Quick question: how did you deal with this when you got your Green Card?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Quick question: how did you deal with this when you got your Green Card?
I didn't. This all happened after I became a PR and I already had my green card.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

I didn't. This all happened after I became a PR and I already had my green card.
It's probably not a big deal (to them), but it is a big deal to me.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:35 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

OK, sorry if I missed that from your earlier posts.

It sounds to me as though the documents that you mention in your 07.09am post will be sufficient.

I can understand it's a big thing for you, and it's no use telling you not to worry.

However, I've been told - and I certainly got the impression when I naturalized - this final step is different from every other interaction you have had with the immigration folks: this time they "want" you to be successful. In every other step, the base assumption is that you are out to gain entry without being eligible, and you have to prove otherwise. It's the other way round now, and you don't need to regard them as adversaries any more. They still care about making sure you meet the criteria, of course, but the desired outcome is for you to naturalize.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nettlebed
OK, sorry if I missed that from your earlier posts.

It sounds to me as though the documents that you mention in your 07.09am post will be sufficient.

I can understand it's a big thing for you, and it's no use telling you not to worry.

However, I've been told - and I certainly got the impression when I naturalized - this final step is different from every other interaction you have had with the immigration folks: this time they "want" you to be successful. In every other step, the base assumption is that you are out to gain entry without being eligible, and you have to prove otherwise. It's the other way round now, and you don't need to regard them as adversaries any more. They still care about making sure you meet the criteria, of course, but the desired outcome is for you to naturalize.
This is the best thing I've read and makes me feel much more relaxed and comfortable actually. Going to get my things ready and head off downtown! Would rather be hours early, than a minute late. Will find a coffee shop until 30 minutes before when I believe they'll let you in.

Last question - anyone know if cell phones are allowed? I wasn't allowed to take to my biometrics appointment, but I don't know about this?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:27 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

This is the best thing I've read and makes me feel much more relaxed and comfortable actually. Going to get my things ready and head off downtown! Would rather be hours early, than a minute late. Will find a coffee shop until 30 minutes before when I believe they'll let you in.

Last question - anyone know if cell phones are allowed? I wasn't allowed to take to my biometrics appointment, but I don't know about this?
Cell phones are not allowed, even switched off.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:49 pm
A I

Originally Posted by fsm
Cell phones are not allowed, even switched off.
In Houston, they are, but must be switched off at the entry checkpoint.

based on the answer from fsm, I'd say it probably varies by office. best not to risk it. Cameras for sure are not allowed in the immigration office in Houston.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:51 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by A I
In Houston, they are, but must be switched off at the entry checkpoint.

based on the answer from fsm, I'd say it probably varies by office. best not to risk it. Cameras for sure are not allowed in the immigration office in Houston.

Both Charlotte & Miami offices, cell phones had to be left in the car.

Saw somebody pull out a cell phone while in line in Miami, he was removed from the line and they cancelled his appointment.

But as you say different offices, if you are parked near it you can check as there would be a sign on the door saying so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.