Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 Check list for divorced applicants.

Wikiposts

N400 Check list for divorced applicants.

Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:03 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default N400 Check list for divorced applicants.

Right then... I am getting close to filing and need to make sure that all my relevant documents are correct I have the M-476 infront of me but as a few of us are filling and will be filing as a divorced person, I hope this will help others as well.

1. Photo Copies of front and back of Green Card.

2. 2 Passport sized photos signed front and pack with A number and name in pencil.

3. Do I send my divorce papers? (copies)

4. Fee $675 is that one check or 2? ie the fingerprints is a separate check (A Number on the back of the check)

Is the above all I need to send or have I mis-read the checklist

(Of course all the information that was requested in the original form)

Thank you
Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Check list for divorced applicants.

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
4. Fee $675 is that one check or 2? ie the fingerprints is a separate check (A Number on the back of the check)
You can write just one check.

Rene
Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:17 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You can write just one check.

Rene
Great thanks and the rest I am good to go?
Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the tax transcripts for the last 5 years. No to the divorce papers as you aren't applying based on early naturalization because you are married to a USC.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:24 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if in your situation you need to send copies of the divorce certificate(s) but no harm in doing so.

Other than that send just what the checklist asks for, that is all they want. Good luck

See Rete replied as I posted so there is no need to send them.

Last edited by lansbury; Feb 20th 2010 at 3:27 am.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need the divorce papers.

Are you using the 'Document Checklist' from the Guide to Naturalization?
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf
If you were married before, send:
Proof that all earlier marriages ended-divorce decree(s), annulments, or death certificates(s);

That is a separate item from the one above, 'If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following four items:'
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Rete
Don't forget the tax transcripts for the last 5 years. No to the divorce papers as you aren't applying based on early naturalization because you are married to a USC.
Do I need to send these? I thought the top 3 were the mandatory information required?

Originally Posted by lansbury
Not sure if in your situation you need to send copies of the divorce certificate(s) but no harm in doing so.

Yes I will send anyway.

Other than that send just what the checklist asks for, that is all they want. Good luck

See Rete replied as I posted so there is no need to send them.
Originally Posted by meauxna
I think you need the divorce papers.

Are you using the 'Document Checklist' from the Guide to Naturalization?
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf
If you were married before, send:
Proof that all earlier marriages ended-divorce decree(s), annulments, or death certificates(s);

Yes the M-476

That is a separate item from the one above, 'If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following four items:'
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:05 am

If you have taken any trip outside the United States that lasted six months or more since becoming a Permanent Resident, send
evidence that you (and your family) continued to live, work and/or keep ties to the United States, such as:
An IRS tax return “transcript” or an IRS-certified tax return listing tax information for the last five years (or for the last three years
if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen).
Rent or mortgage payments and pay stubs.

I cannot see anywhere that states as a divorced person I need to send transcripts, never the less I just called the IRS and was rather shocked to get a live person on the other end of the phone and have ordered the tax return transcripts.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...110571,00.html
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:13 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Tax returns are used to show that you have good moral character. The number 3 is for marriage-based naturalizing PR and number 5 is for all others.

But then, if anything is missing then you will be bringing them to the appointment.

As for the divorce papers, I said no for just that same reason. I assumed you were going to be bringing with you to the appointment your records on the aos, removal, etc. along with the pertinent documentation, i.e. marriage certificate, divorce decree.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:18 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If you have taken any trip outside the United States that lasted six months or more since becoming a Permanent Resident, send
evidence that you (and your family) continued to live, work and/or keep ties to the United States, such as:
An IRS tax return “transcript” or an IRS-certified tax return listing tax information for the last five years (or for the last three years
if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen).
Rent or mortgage payments and pay stubs.

I cannot see anywhere that states as a divorced person I need to send transcripts, never the less I just called the IRS and was rather shocked to get a live person on the other end of the phone and have ordered the tax return transcripts.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...110571,00.html

I ordered IRS transcripts for my 5-year N400. Didn't send a copy with my application but took them to the interview. They were not asked for at the interview.............but I'm glad I took them with me just in case.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I ordered IRS transcripts for my 5-year N400. Didn't send a copy with my application but took them to the interview. They were not asked for at the interview.............but I'm glad I took them with me just in case.
Great, Thanks Rete as well

Well I might as well file now then and just keep the transcripts when they arrive and take to the interview
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:28 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Great, Thanks Rete as well

Well I might as well file now then and just keep the transcripts when they arrive and take to the interview
Good plan. The way the checklist reads you only need to send tax transcripts with your application if you are applying on the 3 year marriage rule. The worst that can happen is they send you an RFE for the transcripts but the checklist indicates they are not needed.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:39 am

Well its been, sent so better sit tight.

Here we go again looks like AZ is around 5 months processing time, we will see

Thanks for all your help.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 9:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

woohoo!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
woohoo!
Thanks for all your support and help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.