Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 cancelled interview - how long to wait before enquiring

N400 cancelled interview - how long to wait before enquiring

Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

silanone will become famous soon enoughsilanone will become famous soon enough
Default N400 cancelled interview - how long to wait before enquiring

My N400 interview was originally scheduled for Oct 1 but about a month ago, I received a letter saying that the interview was cancelled and that further information on the case would be communicated by mail. I've learned that it's not uncommon for interviews to be rescheduled for various reasons but I'd like to get some sense of how long to wait before making an enquiry via InfoPass. Should I wait another month or so?

(I'm going through the Boston district office.)
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: N400 cancelled interview - how long to wait before enquiring

Just wanted to add a follow-up. I called the 800 number and got the canned "must wait for 60 days after last action" line. I've made an InfoPass appointment for Oct 27, which will still technically be under 60 days since the date of the cancellation notice, but I figured I'd try.

I'd decided that my days of going to the mailbox expectantly were over after I got my 10-year green card and I think it would still be that way if they hadn't raised my hopes with the original interview letter. So that's really the motivation for the InfoPass....I'm pretty sure I'll just be asked to sit tight and wait :-)
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by silanone
My N400 interview was originally scheduled for Oct 1 but about a month ago, I received a letter saying that the interview was cancelled and that further information on the case would be communicated by mail. I've learned that it's not uncommon for interviews to be rescheduled for various reasons but I'd like to get some sense of how long to wait before making an enquiry via InfoPass. Should I wait another month or so?

(I'm going through the Boston district office.)
Hi:

Follow up on the InfoPass. Or did you actually try to go to the cancelled interview? It would have been a good idea if you had. Some interviews are cancelled and no one tells the local office where the interview was to be held.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd decided that my days of going to the mailbox expectantly were over after I got my 10-year green card and I think it would still be that way if they hadn't raised my hopes with the original interview letter.
hehe, however much you decide, those days are only truly over once you get your oath all done and dusted if you decide to get your citizenship....not to worry though, you are almost at the end now!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Follow up on the InfoPass. Or did you actually try to go to the cancelled interview? It would have been a good idea if you had. Some interviews are cancelled and no one tells the local office where the interview was to be held.
You know I actually thought about doing that, namely showing up to the cancelled interview, but it turned out that I needed to travel for work that day. Oh well!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: N400 cancelled interview - how long to wait before enquiring

Originally Posted by Dan725
hehe, however much you decide, those days are only truly over once you get your oath all done and dusted if you decide to get your citizenship....not to worry though, you are almost at the end now!
That's true and there's nothing better than knowing your don't ever have to deal with the USCIS again once naturalized...like I was this week

Good luck.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Did an InfoPass enquiry today. The officer told me that my file is still at VSC and that I should give it another month or two and come back if I still hadn't heard by then.

I'm wondering if perhaps things have slowed down with N400 processing because they've scaled back their efforts to deal with the 2007 pre-fee hike surge in applications?
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if perhaps things have slowed down with N400 processing because they've scaled back their efforts to deal with the 2007 pre-fee hike surge in applications?
It's more likely that they've slowed down because everyone they could push through in time to register for the November 4th Presidential election, has completed the process.

Ian
Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:36 am
James (UK) and Laura (TX)

LJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really niceLJwedding09 is just really nice
Unhappy Re: N400 cancelled interview - how long to wait before enquiring

All I can say is that I'm sorry and kind of embarrased at how ambiguous the entire immigration process is! No wonder we have such a problem with illegal immigrants!