n400 application in San Jose

Old Apr 16th 2003, 2:53 am
Andy

Default n400 application in San Jose

Folks:

I was fingerprinted in San Jose in November. Still no word on the
interview. What has been your experience. How much more time should
it take to become a citizen

Also, it appears one needs to get the tax papers for the interview.
Any thoughts on why this is done and if there are IRS goofups would
this impact the citizenship application?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 6:01 am
Just Joined

alex95032 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can go to the following link https://egov.immigration.gov/graphic...d=cIAM6PGsGC4_
to check on your status. If it says ... 360 days to 360 days... then your apps is still at Calif Service Center for pre-processing.
If the web site says your case has been transferred to another office, then you should hear from the local office in San Jose for an interview soon.
Personally I was FP'ed in May 2002. So far still at CSC. You can find out how everyone else is doing in the queue by entering a case no. similar to yours because these are the cases submitted around the same time. There are gaps between no. My experince is if you go either way by 20 sequencial no., you should hit at least 1 valid no. You probably have to experiment over a couple of days because INS locks you out for a while after too many inquiries each time.

My take on the tax papers is just another tool for INS to check on if you have indeed been living in the U.S. If you fails to file, or you file with an annul U.S. income of only 10K, you will have a lot of talking to do at the interview unless you are a dependent of someone else. Entry/ exit stamps in the passport don't always tell them the whole story. For example, if you go to Canada by land, no one would stamp your passport.

Alex
Old Aug 29th 2003, 11:07 am
Just Joined

alex95032 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is my time line in San Jose, CA for N400.

PD 5/31/02
FP 7/12/02
Interview 7/1/03
Oath 8/27/03

It took 1 year and 3 months in San Jose!

When I submitted my N400 in May 02, most attorneys' web sites were indicating it took only 8 months to process a N400 in San Jose. Since I have a clean slate and I'm from a country that is a U.S. ally, I was counting on getting it in 8 mo.

Now I re-visited the same web site. It is saying 400 days in San Jose. That's more accurate for people who are taking oath today.

Lesson learned: those statistics are based on applications that are already approved, i.e. for applications submitted a while back. If you are just applying today, you cannot count on the past to predict the future with BCIS (INS)!