Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 Processing Times? Slowed due to CO-19?

N-400 Processing Times? Slowed due to CO-19?

Old May 13th 2020, 10:39 am
Just Joined

rlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond reputerlolney58 has a reputation beyond repute
Default N-400 Processing Times? Slowed due to CO-19?

Hi Folks,

According to the status on the USCIS website, my husband's citizenship is estimated to be completed in June 2020. Does anyone know if the processing has been slowed due to the current pandemic?

Thanks!
Old May 13th 2020, 2:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Processing Times? Slowed due to CO-19?

As USCIS offices are closed to the public, and face to face interviews are suspended, it would be reasonable to assume there is a backlog of cases building up.
Old May 13th 2020, 4:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
As USCIS offices are closed to the public, and face to face interviews are suspended, it would be reasonable to assume there is a backlog of cases building up.

Also since many oath ceremonies are done in a court room, that's another reason why it will take longer.
Old May 14th 2020, 12:11 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

No direct evidence, but I agree with the above that it is likely that things are piling up.

I'm guessing theres a distinct possibility that some people may not receive USC in time for the November election who might otherwise have expected too.
Old May 14th 2020, 3:57 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly enough, I'm hearing about immigration stuff still proceeding, so I'm guessing the field offices are also WFH. But I agree, there's going to be a backlog of in-person stuff. Although, my lawyer was saying that in an election year they try to process as many as possible but I guess that was in the olden days which none of us thought of as the golden days but turns out they were....
Old May 15th 2020, 5:30 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Oddly enough, I'm hearing about immigration stuff still proceeding, so I'm guessing the field offices are also WFH. But I agree, there's going to be a backlog of in-person stuff. Although, my lawyer was saying that in an election year they try to process as many as possible but I guess that was in the olden days which none of us thought of as the golden days but turns out they were....
As an exercise in paranoia, newly naturalized citizens are believed to tend to vote Democrat. So, there might not be the rush to enfranchise.
Old May 15th 2020, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
No direct evidence, but I agree with the above that it is likely that things are piling up.

I'm guessing theres a distinct possibility that some people may not receive USC in time for the November election who might otherwise have expected too.
That's exactly my situation. Filed N-400 in September 2019. Estimated completion date is now January 2021.

Some oath ceremonies are being held - Wyoming held one this week with people sitting 6 feet apart and wearing masks. Helps that it's not a high-volume office. I can't imagine something like that being possible in one of the high-volume areas in the big cities.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

rumatumtum will become famous soon enough

Oath Ceremony tomorrow.
I'm a UK citizen, L2 to GC in 2013.
I'm in Orlando FL and I applied in Aug 2019. According to USCIS the estimated completion month for my N-400 was June 2020 at that time. I interviewed 3/4/2020 and passed. My oath ceremony was scheduled for 3/19/2020 but promptly de-scheduled.
I received a very nice phone call about a week ago to say I have a new oath date of 6/16/2020, so I'm scheduled to attend tomorrow!
Total time 10 months. Even with the pandemic, I appear to be within the estimated time frame.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 7:29 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

I applied back in March this year, 90 days before my recorded date of entry. This week, I decided to log into the website to see if any progress has been made, and it estimates completion time to be October this year. Just waiting for the first appointment to be issued. This is for the Tampa Bay, FL area.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
I applied back in March this year, 90 days before my recorded date of entry. This week, I decided to log into the website to see if any progress has been made, and it estimates completion time to be October this year. Just waiting for the first appointment to be issued. This is for the Tampa Bay, FL area.

so 7 months even with COVID? That’s not bad at all. If they even stick to that time line. Mine is estimated to take 16 months. I’m convinced it’s to stop me voting in November!