N-400 form for a child?

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

alcoa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default N-400 form for a child?

If the parents are getting ready to file N-400 based on 5 years of permanent residence, does the child (7 years old), who immigrated with his parents, need to have a separate form filled or do the parents just include his name on their forms and that's it? If they need to fill out a separate form for him, is it still the N-400 or is it a different form?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 form for a child?

Originally Posted by alcoa
If the parents are getting ready to file N-400 based on 5 years of permanent residence, does the child (7 years old), who immigrated with his parents, need to have a separate form filled or do the parents just include his name on their forms and that's it?
If a child is a PR and under 18, he will automatically become a US citizen at the same time that the parent naturalizes. No separate N-400 application is required. Once the child becomes a USC, you might want to spend some $$ and get an N-600 so that the child has proof of citizenship for the future.

Ian
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If a child is a PR and under 18, he will automatically become a US citizen at the same time that the parent naturalizes. No separate N-400 application is required. Once the child becomes a USC, you might want to spend some $$ and get an N-600 so that the child has proof of citizenship for the future.

Ian

Or quite simply, apply for US passport at the same time as you file yours. This is all that is needed.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Or quite simply, apply for US passport at the same time as you file yours. This is all that is needed.
Ian, Thanks.

Rene, Sorry - I am a bit ignorant on this. Could you please elaborate on what you mean ?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ian, Thanks.

Rene, Sorry - I am a bit ignorant on this. Could you please elaborate on what you mean ?

Its, Rete, not Rene

Not much to elaborate on actually. Once the parent becomes a USC and the child is under the age of 18 and has permanent residency in the US, the child becomes a US Citizen automatically.

To prove this status, apply for their US passport. Complete the form for him/her, do one for yourself, include the photographs and supporting documentation for both of you. For the child you will need his birth certificate and I believe your marriage certificate and the original citizenship certificate.

You do NOT need to file the N-600 for your child. As per Mr. Folinsky's advice it is expense and if the child has the US Passport and keeps it current that is all that is needed to prove US Citizenship.

You can read about the US Passport at the US Passport website and you can read about USCIS' regulations on children's US Citizenship on the USCIS site.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Rete,

I am reading your response again and I think I understand it, but seems to conflict with the instructions given below on how to apply for a passport for a minor..looks like the link asks for a 'proof of child's citizenship' to be sent with the child's application? Am I reading something incorrectly?

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...inors_834.html
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Rete,

I am reading your response again and I think I understand it, but seems to conflict with the instructions given below on how to apply for a passport for a minor..looks like the link asks for a 'proof of child's citizenship' to be sent with the child's application? Am I reading something incorrectly?

Your natz certificate + child's birth cert showing they were under 18 = citizenship proof?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 11:10 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the bottom of the page here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...ence_4315.html

Rete,