Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 Filing Changes Coming in January 2009

N-400 Filing Changes Coming in January 2009

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 11:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default N-400 Filing Changes Coming in January 2009

If you will be submitting form N-400 to naturalize (aka apply for US citizenship) in the coming year, please take note that the mailing addresses are changing to serve you better.
As ever, download the latest forms, get the latest fees and the latest mailing information directly from uscis.gov BEFORE mailing.

Revision to Direct Mail Program for Submitting Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, Implementation of Program

SUMMARY: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is revising its Direct Mail Program so that certain filings of Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, will now be filed at a designated lockbox facility instead of a USCIS Service Center. Furthermore, if you are the spouse of a current member of the Armed Forces, this notice instructs you to now file your Form N-400 at the Nebraska Service Center (NSC), whether you are filing from within the U.S. or abroad.
This notice does not change the filing location for Forms N-400 filed by members or certain veterans of the Armed Forces who are eligible to apply for naturalization under sections 328 or 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (the Act). All naturalization applicants filing under the military provisions, sections 328 or 329 of the Act, should file their application at the NSC regardless of geographic location.

DATES: This notice becomes effective January 22, 2009.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

needhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant futureneedhelp has a brilliant future
Default Re: N-400 Filing Changes Coming in January 2009

Thanks, I was confused why they forwarded my N-400 to Arizona. I sent my form by express mail on 01/11/2009 to NSC and they forwarded this to Arizona lockbox. Just before I filed my form, I called USCIS 800 to verify the correct address but they still gave me NSC, Lincoln, NE. I guess someone needs to tell them about this new rule.
My receipt number starts with NBC instead of LIN. Can you tell me if I can check the status of my case online if my receipt number starts with NBC. So far, USCIS website says, case not found.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

NBC = National Benefits Center (lockbox receipts usually start with this)
LIN = Nebraska Service Center

It often takes a couple of weeks for the receipts to show up in the online system.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:12 pm
Resident Hambone

K2JLX has a spectacular aura aboutK2JLX has a spectacular aura aboutK2JLX has a spectacular aura about

I filed on January 2nd to the VSC, before the Jan 22nd cut off date; it got forwarded to a Texas lockbox automatically and then onto the NBC. The USCIS seems to be moving since I got the NOA on Jan 12th and the FP notice Jan 28th.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by K2JLX
I filed on January 2nd to the VSC, before the Jan 22nd cut off date; it got forwarded to a Texas lockbox automatically and then onto the NBC. The USCIS seems to be moving since I got the NOA on Jan 12th and the FP notice Jan 28th.
Well certainly your case is moving!
Let's hope they are doing something with your precious file instead of shuffling it.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:16 pm
Resident Hambone

K2JLX has a spectacular aura aboutK2JLX has a spectacular aura aboutK2JLX has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well certainly your case is moving!
Let's hope they are doing something with your precious file instead of shuffling it.
Quite, the next delay will be the FBI fingerprint/background check - I don't have a common name, so I have that going for me!