Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

n-400 application can you confirm checklist

n-400 application can you confirm checklist

Old Jul 17th 2007, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

no-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really nice
Default n-400 application can you confirm checklist

About to send in N-400 (before fee increase),
based on marriage to US citizen 3 years, I took some University classes but
otherwise haven't worked, no law problems or tickets,
only 1 short trip outside of country, also we had a baby this year.

Can you confirm the following checklist is accurate:
- N400 application, signed FULL name in cursive.
- strike through word Five years write three on N-400 form,
base all answers on three years.
- Copies of PR card (both sides)
- 2 Photos with A# and name in back
- a single $400 check with A# in memo field
- our child's birth certificate
- mailed certified mail return receipt.

Is this a good list or should I include anything more?
such as: tax returns, husbands birth certificate, bills etc.?
Old Jul 17th 2007, 4:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: n-400 application can you confirm checklist

Originally Posted by no-spam
About to send in N-400 (before fee increase),
based on marriage to US citizen 3 years, I took some University classes but
otherwise haven't worked, no law problems or tickets,
only 1 short trip outside of country, also we had a baby this year.

Can you confirm the following checklist is accurate:
- N400 application, signed FULL name in cursive.
- strike through word Five years write three on N-400 form,
base all answers on three years.
- Copies of PR card (both sides)
- 2 Photos with A# and name in back
- a single $400 check with A# in memo field
- our child's birth certificate
- mailed certified mail return receipt.

I don't know for sure, but it seems to me others have included tax returns.

Rene
Old Jul 17th 2007, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a good list or should I include anything more? such as: tax returns, husbands birth certificate, bills etc.?
You'll need proof of commingled finances... tax returns, insurance policy with spouse as beneficiary, mortgage/rent/lease. Not sure who's the USC, but that person needs to send either a copy of their B/C or passport.

Ian
Old Jul 17th 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

The USCIS Guide To Naturalization contains a document checklist that specifies exactly what must be included.

You left out a few things: copy of marriage certificate; copy of US spouse's birth certificate; copies of tax transcripts or tax returns.

There are other documents that you might or might not have to send, depending on your personal circumstances.

Read the Guide to Naturalization carefully and find out what applies to you.

Last edited by Bill_S; Jul 17th 2007 at 5:37 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jul 17th 2007, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

no-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really niceno-spam is just really nice

Thank you, looks like I need to add just 2-3 more things:

- copy of The inside of the front cover and signature page of spouse’s current U.S. passport

- current marriage certificate;

Documents referring to you and your spouse:
Looks like it's sufficient to just include our childs birth certificate and we can leave out the tax return, mortgages etc.

"Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years."
Old Jul 17th 2007, 5:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like it's sufficient to just include our childs birth certificate and we can leave out the tax return, mortgages etc.

"Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years."
Sure, the choice is yours. If USCIS wants something more from you, they will RFE you for it.

Rene
Old Jul 17th 2007, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, looks like I need to add just 2-3 more things:

- copy of The inside of the front cover and signature page of spouse’s current U.S. passport

- current marriage certificate;

my two cents, it's better to send too much information, rather than get a RFE which could delay your case.

I personally phoned the IRS & requested tax transcripts for the last 5 years & sent a copy of these with my application.

Took around a week for them to arrive from the IRS in my case.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...110571,00.html
Old Jul 17th 2007, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

violator_dm will become famous soon enoughviolator_dm will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't know for sure, but it seems to me others have included tax returns.

Rene
I think it is a requirement to include tax returns. I remember something to that effect in the naturalization booklet or the instructions. I know I included tax returns for the last three years.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 6:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

never mind
Old Jul 17th 2007, 7:06 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
never mind

?? Cat got your tongue, Mo?

~SG
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:59 am
B&J&S Fishbein

I'll be sending my application in this week too. In the interest of getting
it in the mail before the fee increase, I don't intend to send in any tax
returns. According to the guide: Guide to Naturalization
(http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-
> 476.pdf) , it does seem that a copy of our child's birth certificate would
> be sufficient.

Jonathan

"no-spam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
>
>> The USCIS Guide To Naturalization contains a document checklist that
>> specifies exactly what must be included.
>>
>> You left out a few things: copy of marriage certificate; copy of US
>> spouse's birth certificate; copies of tax transcripts or tax returns.
>>
>> There are other documents that you might or might not have to send,
>> depending on your personal circumstances.
>>
>> Read the Guide to Naturalization (http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-
>> 476.pdf) carefully and find out what applies to you.
>
> Thank you, looks like I need to add just 2-3 more things:
>
> - copy of The inside of the front cover and signature page of
> spouse�?¢â,¬â"¢s current U.S. passport
>
> - current marriage certificate;
>
> Documents referring to you and your spouse:
> Looks like it's sufficient to just include our childs birth certificate
> and we can leave out the tax return, mortgages etc.
>
> "Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of
> children, or Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the
> income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or An IRS
> tax return transcript for the last three years."
>
> --

Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:16 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B&J&S Fishbein
returns. According to the guide: Guide to Naturalization
(http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf) , it does seem that a copy of our child's birth certificate would be sufficient.

Jonathan
Sending copies of tax returns (or tax transcripts) does more than just serve as evidence that you and your spouse share a life together. If you have worked in the US (which is the case for most people) it shows that you filed tax returns as required (good moral character stuff). Also, if you stayed outside the US for more than six months at any point, tax returns can be used as proof that you continued your ties to the US.

Personally, I wouldn't submit a naturalization application without submitting tax transcripts or copies of tax returns. We've had to submit tax returns at every other stage -- K1 visa, AOS and I-751 -- so it only makes sense to include it with this one final application. But, that's just me.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=B&J&S
returns. /QUOTE]

Let us know if you get an RFE for this, will you? It will help settle the matter about if they are required required, or just requested.

I think they might accept the package, let you beat the fee increase, and send you a Request for Evidence, but it will be interesting to see.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

idawmn will become famous soon enough

I have just finished my application today and will send out Wednesday via UPS overnight (to avoid the fee increase). I included the following:

1. 2 passport photos
2. Cheque for $330 for application; $70 for biometrics
3. Copy of 10 year residency card - front & back

(and) copies of

4. Birth certificate for me, one for husband
5. Marriage certificate
6. Divorce decrees for previous marriages
7. 3 years tax returns
8. Title of home in both of our names
9. Pension reports showing each other as beneficiaries
10. Title of SUV in both names
11. Voided cheque with both names showing
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by idawmn
I have just finished my application today and will send out Wednesday via UPS overnight (to avoid the fee increase). I included the following:

1. 2 passport photos
2. Cheque for $330 for application; $70 for biometrics
3. Copy of 10 year residency card - front & back

(and) copies of

4. Birth certificate for me, one for husband
5. Marriage certificate
6. Divorce decrees for previous marriages
7. 3 years tax returns
8. Title of home in both of our names
9. Pension reports showing each other as beneficiaries
10. Title of SUV in both names
11. Voided cheque with both names showing

I'm going to send my application in this week too... I need to print the documents out etc...

Now does my daughters birth certificate, our marriage certificate, tax returns etc need to be ORIGINIALS or can I send copies?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.