Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

My Experience At The U.s Consulate In Lagos Nigeria

My Experience At The U.s Consulate In Lagos Nigeria

Old Jul 18th 2003, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

JeffB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Experience At The U.s Consulate In Lagos Nigeria

Hi guys
This is Remi, Jeff's fiance.i"m sorry it took so long to share the story and moment but after spending 8 months before being able to scale through both the Nebraska service center and the U.S consulate Eleke cresent Lagos,you would agree with me that i'd have learnt to take things one thing at a time?

First and foremost,i must say that I was very very lucky,the reasons for this ?i might not be able to tell you all in this letter but will surely continue later.

My bigest advice for any body curently going through Lagos or will be doing so in the future is to be a BOYSCOUT yes BOYSCOUT meaning "BE PREPARED" only this time around you'd have to be OVERLY PREPARED.

It's important that you go to the consulate to pick up your interview letter and package the moment you get your case approved.Do not ,I repeat DO NOT wait for the consulate to send the package to you ,probability is that it will get to your house or mail box in year 4000(in other words not inyour life time)I'm not trying to be sacactic but if you think I am ,then give it a shot.

once you get the package ,get your POLICE REPORT.the procedure for doing this is very straight forward,firstly you'd go to ALAGBON (it's on Kofo Abayomi cresent ,off Ozumba Nmbadiwe street/rd victoria island lagos ,#1 i suppose ,but you won't miss it).Here,you would pay #100(if you are ask to pay #500 just comply,you can't get anywhere near the consular if you don't get your police report so bring plenty money along when you want to do this,i'm sure you know money talks in nigeria?).you will be issued a receipt,and you will have to take this receipt to the CID office in ikoyi,very close to Obalende ,some houses away from the old Secretariat Ikoyi. note do not go with your car,as there is no packing space and if you do,do not border driving unto the street(it's a narrow street oof the secretariat road) be prepared to park your car on the main motorway.
At this office,I paid #2000 bear in mind that I got my police certificate 3months before my interview in June,so bring more money along,trust me this isn't the official rate ,the rate is probably 20 percent of that but as you know Egunje spoil lagos.NOTE go in the morning ,if you are lucky you'd get your report on the same day if not you can pick it up the next day,you will be fingerprinted here and your records will be checked ,here.I"M not sure they really check it knowing the nigerian force .
to be continued
Remi Burros
Old Jul 18th 2003, 8:20 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Experience At The U.s Consulate In Lagos Nigeria

Originally posted by JeffB
to be continued
Remi Burros
Remi, many of us here feel we already know you. Congratulations on perservering and welcome to the US!
Old Jul 18th 2003, 2:31 pm
todd without nan

toddnan is an unknown quantity at this point

was that 2000 dollars? whew, bet jeff was happy. regards from todd and nahana
Old Jul 18th 2003, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JeffB
Hi guys
This is Remi, Jeff's fiance.i"m sorry it took so long to share the story and moment but after spending 8 months before being able to scale through both the Nebraska service center and the U.S consulate Eleke cresent Lagos,you would agree with me that i'd have learnt to take things one thing at a time?

First and foremost,i must say that I was very very lucky,the reasons for this ?i might not be able to tell you all in this letter but will surely continue later.

My bigest advice for any body curently going through Lagos or will be doing so in the future is to be a BOYSCOUT yes BOYSCOUT meaning "BE PREPARED" only this time around you'd have to be OVERLY PREPARED.

It's important that you go to the consulate to pick up your interview letter and package the moment you get your case approved.Do not ,I repeat DO NOT wait for the consulate to send the package to you ,probability is that it will get to your house or mail box in year 4000(in other words not inyour life time)I'm not trying to be sacactic but if you think I am ,then give it a shot.

once you get the package ,get your POLICE REPORT.the procedure for doing this is very straight forward,firstly you'd go to ALAGBON (it's on Kofo Abayomi cresent ,off Ozumba Nmbadiwe street/rd victoria island lagos ,#1 i suppose ,but you won't miss it).Here,you would pay #100(if you are ask to pay #500 just comply,you can't get anywhere near the consular if you don't get your police report so bring plenty money along when you want to do this,i'm sure you know money talks in nigeria?).you will be issued a receipt,and you will have to take this receipt to the CID office in ikoyi,very close to Obalende ,some houses away from the old Secretariat Ikoyi. note do not go with your car,as there is no packing space and if you do,do not border driving unto the street(it's a narrow street oof the secretariat road) be prepared to park your car on the main motorway.
At this office,I paid #2000 bear in mind that I got my police certificate 3months before my interview in June,so bring more money along,trust me this isn't the official rate ,the rate is probably 20 percent of that but as you know Egunje spoil lagos.NOTE go in the morning ,if you are lucky you'd get your report on the same day if not you can pick it up the next day,you will be fingerprinted here and your records will be checked ,here.I"M not sure they really check it knowing the nigerian force .
to be continued
Remi Burros

Hi

Congratulations.

Your "boy scout" comment on Lagos is very well taken -- but in addition to being prepared, it also goes to veracity. On the level of fraud they experience, the range the Depatment of State sees in regards to individual consulates is:

low>medium>high>Lagos.

Unfortunately, with Lagos, there is almost a presumption of fraud.

Also, from years of observation, I would not be surprised that an influencing factor was that the US Citizen was Male and the Nigerian was Female.

Again, congratulations. For others dealing with Lagos, be aware that you will more likely encounter a roller-coaster ride many degrees beyond that experienced by others in this NG.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Cathese is an unknown quantity at this point

JeffB, & Remi,

Thanks so much for the info given so far. and hope you guys are enjoying the joy of being together.

We still look forward to the remaining stories. Could you kindly give anidea of the cost of medical too. Just want to have an idea of what it will all cost.

Regards

cathese.

Ist NOA March 6, 2003
Old Nov 17th 2004, 5:03 pm
slimGirl

please remi i need a help.i am a nigeria too,engage to a US citizen.i m worried about a particular case.my fiancee took some pictures of u together ,with my family too,but when he got back to the ,he printed out all the pictures ,but unfortunately all the pictures we took didnt came out good at all,but just one picture of us together and only the pictures of myself came out well.we took the pictures with digital camera.so now i m relly worried ,because we are expecting our NOA this week.so pls what do you think we do before my interview or what will the consulate do to me pls i need your help

to be continued
Remi Burros[/QUOTE]