Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

My B-2 Visa interview experience in London today (with criminal convictions)

My B-2 Visa interview experience in London today (with criminal convictions)

Old May 31st 2017, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Limey187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post My B-2 Visa interview experience in London today (with criminal convictions)

Hi guys,

Over the last few months i've hounded you helpful people with questions so i think its fair that i share my experience in a post for anyone who's interested! i've noticed some people disappear from the forum once theyve had their interview and dont come back to post potentially valuable feedback, so here's my experience!

Turned up at the US embassy in Grosvenor square around 7:40am (i was booked in for 8am). Pretty lengthy queue but it moves quite quickly (Make sure you have your printed DS-160 confirmation and the instructions page from the website where you book the appointment both handy, and your passport) Some staff will be sorting out the queues and they will give you a plastic see through bag to put your mobile phones, belts, and watches in, which you will then put into a tray on the way through security that goes down the conveyor belt whilst you walk through the metal detector (a bit like when youre at an airport). Yes you heard that right by the way, mobile phones are OK to take in, but not laptops.

When you get in they give you a number and you go into the main room where there is around 20 kiosks and a big screen at the front flashing up numbers one by one (imagine a Post Office times 10, with loads of seats).

You get called up firstly for them to essentially book you in and take your prints, then you sit back down and wait for your number to be called again for the interview.

Your neck will feel extremely sore as you keep awkwardly rotating it up towards the screen every 7 seconds when the beep sounds and a new number comes up.

I got called to kiosk 17 which has a door and its turns into like a private room, this is where im guessing they interview anyone with criminal convictions.

I had a full 24 page portfolio i had prepared with all sorts of documents proving family, social and economic ties to the UK, but they wasnt even interested in seeing it. I would still advise to bring these sort of supporting docs just incase though.

These are the questions i was asked and my answer (always answer with complete honesty):

'Why do you want to go to America?' My mum is moving out there permanently this summer and me and my brother will want to visit for a week at christmas.

'What is your job and how long have you been there?' I am a mortgage advisor and have been there 7 months

*picks up police certificate
she asks about stuff on there (theft shoplifting aged 14, theft shoplifting aged 18, witness intimidation aged 18, ABH aged 19, Battery aged 25)

she asked the questions in a nice way, she only asked me to describe what I did for the most recent conviction (most recent is Battery 6 years ago, see above) and i explained i was standing up to a bully who had picked a fight with a woman outside a club. She also asked me to expand on the witness intimidation conviction as admittedly the title at first glance can look like something off The Sopranos, i explained the truth that we were mischievous teenagers on the block and being a nuisance knocking on neighbours doors and running away and stuff like that, but it got classed as witness intimidation as the police thought we were linked to some older guys in a gang that had active court cases, we didnt even know these older kids.

Anyway she looked down at my Police Certificate again and says 'right we dont have to worry about that first Theft as you were under 18, so we just have this one crime of moral turpitude left on here (the other theft). We cannot issue you with a visa today but i am recommending you for a waiver of ineligibility, you will get an email/letter from us in the next 6 months and you will then send your passport through the post to have your Visa added'

Now i know it will be sent to the DHS for them to look at, so its not 100%, but she gave the impression that i can expect it to be accepted.

Thanks for reading about my experience today, just thought id share it with you guys

Last edited by Limey187; May 31st 2017 at 1:35 pm.
Old May 31st 2017, 1:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My B-2 Visa interview experience in London today (with criminal convictions)

That is interesting, thank you for sharing.

We always appreciate people coming back and describing their experience at the interview.
Old May 31st 2017, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My B-2 Visa interview experience in London today (with criminal convictions)

Originally Posted by Limey187
... i think its fair that i share my experience in a post for anyone who's interested!
We all appreciate the follow up - thank you!

Now i know it will be sent to the DHS for them to look at, so its not 100%, but she gave the impression that i can expect it to be accepted.
If you are recommended for a waiver, then chances are 99% that you'll get it. Her time frame of 6 months was a bit low... it's currently between 7-8 months but who knows, it could speed up.

Ian
Old May 31st 2017, 4:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Limey, for the excellent write up of your interview. It is always appreciated when a follow-up is posted.
Old May 31st 2017, 5:36 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

it got classed as witness intimidation as the police thought we were linked to some older guys in a gang that had active court cases, we didnt even know these older kids.
...yet still found (or plead?) guilty.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Limey187 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
...yet still found (or plead?) guilty.
If you think the justice system in the UK gets it right every time then you are extremely naive my friend
Old Jun 1st 2017, 1:57 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Limey187
If you think the justice system in the UK gets it right every time then you are extremely naive my friend
I certainly don't believe that; but your criminal history denotes you're generally an untrustworthy person. So, that, combined with any reasonable clarification as a defence to witness tampering (which I view as an incredibly serious offence given its detriment to the entire judicial system) doesn't really do your credibility much good. People aren't convicted of witness tampering for the reason you cited.

Anyway, I digress.