My Age?

Old Aug 10th 2005, 11:36 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Age?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Has anyone else twigged to the fact that when her guy was 18 she was only 15... and there was probably a lot of sexual assault going on? Perhaps even statutory rape (what we in Canada call "sexual interference")? I'm not 100% sure about US law on this, but under Canadian law even if she consented, the guy doesn't get off the hook. Yet many of you seem to think this is all just fine and dandy... and as long as they're in love, well I guess it doesn't matter! All water under the bridge, eh?

Ian
No, it occured to me too.
But she had severe familial problems.
And the morals clause doesn't apply to the USC.

Thank the gods that I didn't marry whoever I was dating in high school. Nice guy, I'm sure, but <shudder>.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:12 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Thank the gods that I didn't marry whoever I was dating in high school. Nice guy, I'm sure, but <shudder>.
I did. We dated for 7½ years (ages 15 to 23) before we married. We got divorced five years later, and he IS a great guy -- someone I thought I'd be with forever. And even though we didn't even have to worry about things as heavy and complicated as immigration, it still didn't work out. It's hard enough going through immigration now, and Mark and I are in our early 30s!

~ Jenney
Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:31 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone else twigged to the fact that when her guy was 18 she was only 15... and there was probably a lot of sexual assault going on? Perhaps even statutory rape (what we in Canada call "sexual interference")? I'm not 100% sure about US law on this, but under Canadian law even if she consented, the guy doesn't get off the hook. Yet many of you seem to think this is all just fine and dandy... and as long as they're in love, well I guess it doesn't matter! All water under the bridge, eh?
US law is similar but the age of consent varies by state; under that age it's called statutory rape. On the other hand, it's down to the girl or her parents to lay charges in Canada if the "abuse" happened there. The age difference and the fact that the relationship began before either party was 18 might sway a DA, a judge, and a jury as well.

Besides all of that, we do not know the extent of the couple's sexual relationship. We're answering a basic question posed by a 17-year-old.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 8:55 am
Kay

I asked a simple question, I asked for advice, and all I got was a
bunch of people sitting and picking my life apart as if it was their
concern! You don't know me, you dont know the life or the love I have!
My family is abusive, sick, careless and even some drug addicted
individuals. Oh, and by the way, the statutory age in Eastern Canada
was lowered to 14 and above 2 years ago. Next time I'll be more
concerned about where I post for advice. Thank you for all who gave me
advice and didnt sit and judge.
Kay and Josh

snowbunny wrote:
    > > Has anyone else twigged to the fact that when her guy was 18 she was
    > > only 15... and there was probably a lot of sexual assault going on?
    > > Perhaps even statutory rape (what we in Canada call "sexual
    > > interference")? I'm not 100% sure about US law on this, but under
    > > Canadian law even if she consented, the guy doesn't get off the hook.
    > > Yet many of you seem to think this is all just fine and dandy... and
    > > as long as they're in love, well I guess it doesn't matter! All water
    > > under the bridge, eh?
    > >
    > > Ian
    > US law is similar but the age of consent varies by state; under that age
    > it's called statutory rape. On the other hand, it's down to the girl or
    > her parents to lay charges in Canada if the "abuse" happened there. The
    > age difference and the fact that the relationship began before either
    > party was 18 might sway a DA, a judge, and a jury as well.
    > Besides all of that, we do not know the extent of the couple's sexual
    > relationship. We're answering a basic question posed by a 17-year-old.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 17th 2005, 10:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kay
I asked a simple question...
Actually, you asked 3 questions... one of which is decidedly *not* simple.

I asked for advice, and all I got was a bunch of people sitting and picking my life apart as if it was their concern!
Like it or not, this is a public newsgroup and, quite frankly, opinions are almost certain to enter the conversation. If you wanted legal advice with no opinions, you should have had a private consultation with a lawyer. You, however, wanted *free* advice... and you certainly got it.

You don't know me, you dont know the life or the love I have! My family is abusive, sick, careless and even some drug addicted individuals.
Oh please... everyone has a story!

Oh, and by the way, the statutory age in Eastern Canada was lowered to 14 and above 2 years ago.
Lucky for you then, eh?

Ian - formerly of Nova Scotia!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 10:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kay
I asked a simple question, I asked for advice, and all I got was a
bunch of people sitting and picking my life apart as if it was their
concern! You don't know me, you dont know the life or the love I have!
My family is abusive, sick, careless and even some drug addicted
individuals. Oh, and by the way, the statutory age in Eastern Canada
was lowered to 14 and above 2 years ago. Next time I'll be more
concerned about where I post for advice. Thank you for all who gave me
advice and didnt sit and judge.
Kay and Josh
Kay, you asked for advice and you got it.

If you don't want to be treated like a 17 year old, don't act like one. Go to the library and abuse their staff while you look the answers up on your own. We all brought up things that you *should* be concerned with. Immigration isn't a right, sweetie, you're going to have some hoops to jump through, held by people much tougher than anyone here.

Hey Old Lady Jenney: <g> for you--- I *am* a sucker for a sweet story with a happy ending. You just picked better than I did
mo
Old Aug 17th 2005, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a teenager I constantly wondered why adults didn't understand... weren't they teenagers once themselves? Didn't they remember what it was like?

As I got older I realized that it wasn't that adults didn't remember what it was like... it was that they remembered *only too well* what it was like to be a teenager. <chuckle>
Old Aug 17th 2005, 4:27 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kay
individuals. Oh, and by the way, the statutory age in Eastern Canada was lowered to 14 and above 2 years ago. Next time I'll be more
concerned about where I post for advice. ]
Kaye.. you have to remember that there that are US laws involved as well

The PROTECT Act of 2003 authorized fines and/or imprisonment for up to 30 years for U.S. citizens or residents who engage in illicit sexual conduct abroad.
For the purposes of this law, illicit sexual conduct includes commercial sex with anyone under 18, and all sex with anyone under 16.

Best to keep of that subject in a public forum...
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:28 am
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of

Ian

exactly what I was thinking, well almost. i doubt she will want to divulge her sex life to any of us though.
I heard somewhere that your brain is only fully developed by the time u reach the age of 20. So I am really perplexed at how you can understand what true love is at the age of 17. But then maybe you not thinking with your head but only your heart? In saying that though, I'm not here to judge the OP, I know what its like to BE IN LOVE with someone in a different country and want to be with them a.s.a.p.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:24 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

The PROTECT Act of 2003 authorized fines and/or imprisonment for up to 30 years for U.S. citizens or residents who engage in illicit sexual conduct abroad.
For the purposes of this law, illicit sexual conduct includes commercial sex with anyone under 18, and all sex with anyone under 16.

Best to keep off that subject in a public forum...
From what I've read the OP didn't bring this up. Mucky minded posters did. Bit much IMO.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Mucky minded posters did. Bit much IMO.
Perhaps you believe it's okay for an 18 year old guy to have sex with a 15 year old girl. I don't. Nor do I believe that "Oh, my life was shit at the time" makes it okay.

Ian
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:54 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you believe it's okay for an 18 year old guy to with a 15 year old . I don't. Nor do I believe that "Oh, my life was at the time" makes it okay.

Ian
As I pointed out it was board members that decided that the OP was having underage . Totally off the topic of the original post, rude and intrusive.

Last edited by CaliforniaBride; Aug 23rd 2005 at 10:58 am. Reason: typo
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:21 am
Account Closed

As I pointed out it was board members that decided that the OP was having underage.
Umm... no, it wasn't. The OP indicated she'd been having a relationship with this guy since she was 12 and he was 15. Three years later, the boy was no longer a minor child... and the sex certainly didn't stop then!

Ian
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 1:36 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by SanctimoniousPrick
Umm... no, it wasn't. The OP indicated she'd been having a relationship with this guy since she was 12 and he was 15.
And where exactly did the OP say that the relationship was sexual?

Originally Posted by SanctimoniousPrick
Three years later, the boy was no longer a minor child... and the sex certainly didn't stop then!

Ian
Who told you it had started?

Last edited by CaliforniaBride; Aug 23rd 2005 at 1:52 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And where exactly did the OP say that the relationship was sexual?
Your not that naive!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.