Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

My advices to people under administrative processing

My advices to people under administrative processing

Old Dec 23rd 2011, 8:52 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My advices to people under administrative processing

Originally Posted by Boiler
The UK is hardly a good example being at the other end of the extreme. There was a big fuss recently about their lack of control.

Didn't say the UK had the perfect balance did I? Only that the UK does consider the consequences of discouraging visitors.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

maore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
I've never encountered AP. But I have had to apply for a waiver of ineligibility due to having a criminal background. And that is also a long drawn out process where the applicant is largely kept in the dark for months. Now I can imagine AP is even more difficult because, unlike a waiver of ineligibility applicant, you have no idea why you're being made to wait. But I've found the best way to deal with these trials and tribulations is:
  • Remember that visiting the USA is a privilege and not a right
  • The USA make the rules
  • As an outsider you should be respectful of those rules
  • The time passes much quicker if you concentrate on the other things in life and don't become resentful or allow this to dominate your thinking
the post is not about being resentful or mad, it is more about:
1. when you are put under administrative review what can you do, yes as suggested I could spend my day playing tennis with my friends or actually studying/understanding the system and take actions if I am able
2. Evaluating the current system in terms of security checks with cold eyes, no emotions here because it is just a simple holiday
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

maore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud ofmaore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I never wished for anything but I could care less if the US withdraws the VWP. Most countries care not only for protecting their country but also for giving a good impression of their country and attracting tourism. For example I know recently there has been talk in the news about the UK being worried about unnecessarily long queues at the UK Border and the inconvenience to visitors.

Most posters on here spout the mantra 'The US can do what it likes' but they don't seem to see both sides of the arguement like I do. It's a case of getting the balance right between protecting your borders and encouraging visitors who contribute to the economy. Like many countries the US does rely on tourism, especially certain areas like NYC, Vegas, Orlando etc. I'm not saying these places would become ghost towns if the only visitors allowed were Americans, but they would certainly do a lot less business. It may be a privilege to be allowed into America, but an honest visitor who just wants to spend money in the US doesn't deserve to be penalised just because he has the same name as a terrorist. That's what fingerprints are for.

And anyone who thinks tough entry requirements have no effect whatsoever on tourism is burying their head in the sand. We considered a holiday in Goa, India, but decided against it because we'd need pre-obtained visas. We also considered Gambia, but although Brits don't need a visa, Americans do, again expensive and need to be pre-obtained. In the end we booked our holiday in Tunisia because neither of us needed a visa and it's more convenient.

Am I really making no sense at all?
I hope it is the right English expression but I think your post is "the heart of the matter"...
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MsElui
so are you saying that letting someone in whom they have not adequately checked out is safer?
I am just saying the longer you take to do these checks the more you put the USA in harms wayangerous people needs to be identified immediately ?How would you feel if a cop stop a driver on the side of the road and let him/her goes while doing the checks, two weeks after your read in the news that the same driver did a Hit-and-run (in the meantime the Police has still not figure out about the lengthy criminal history of the driver) ?I think I do care more about the safety of a country when I say:Money has been given to the DOS because we do care about national security, Security checks need to be done on all applciants without exceptions and in a timely manner (stated by some rules and regulations). Would that sound good or safe enough to the USA ?
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
The UK is hardly a good example being at the other end of the extreme. There was a big fuss recently about their lack of control.

The US has fingerprints of all terrorists? I did not know that.

Valid choice, personally not an issue that has put me off visiting places. There are an awful lot of people who can use the VWP to visit the Mouse. My family have visited, friends have visited, they would be wondering what the fuss is. Slight hassle with having to get authorised through ESTA but that is it.
I think by "The US has fingerprints of all terrorists? I did not know that" the poster pinpointed fingerprinting as a good way to distinguish between two individuals.One of the advantage of fingerprints, it is digitilised (you know those CSI episodes) and the DOS can only check against the information agencies already hold so yes your file is compared to known terrorists/criminals with extensive information about them I hope it does include fingerprints or we are in real trouble !
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 11:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maore
One of the advantage of fingerprints, it is digitilised (you know those CSI episodes) and the DOS can only check against the information agencies already hold so yes your file is compared to known terrorists/criminals with extensive information about them I hope it does include fingerprints or we are in real trouble !
Since you appreciate factual information, let me give you some factual information. I work in forensic science, and I can assure you that most of what you see on CSI is a joke. Sure, it makes good television... but that's where the reality ends. It can take weeks to run a set of fingerprints through AFIS... and that's on the assumption that someone's fingerprints are in AFIS... and AFIS represents only one of multiple fingerprint databases that must be checked if you want to reduce, to a minimum, the chances of a false positive. AFIS, BTW, is a US-based fingerprint system and doesn't usually contain information about aliens unless those aliens have previously arrived at a US POE. I wonder how many terrorists have previously entered the US as tourists? I'm sure some have... but I doubt most have.

Bottom line, it takes time - and it isn't always successful. When a fingerprint check isn't successful, then backgrounds must be checked manually... and while it's a relatively straight-forward and simple process, it is incredibly time consuming.

You suggest that the process of checking fingerprints can be faster (no doubt due to shows like CSI and NCIS)... I'm telling you that it can't always be, and for the traveller it's an inconvenience.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Dec 23rd 2011 at 12:02 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:11 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

1. EU countries work on having a common policy in terms of visa
Actually they don't, the UK operates its own border controls and makes its own rules. Not all EU countries sign up to the Shegen agreement.

2. Based on the current queues at European embassies of Paris and London we can say US Embassies currently have no means to deal with a large increase in visa applications that would result from this decision.
Why they have ample means. The London Embassy has the same number of appointment blocks each day. They will not be in the least inconvenienced. People requiring a visa might as they will have to wait longer for an appointment, that will be of no concern to the consular section of the embassy.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:24 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Would immigrant/non immigrant accept to pay more in their visa fees to be treated in a fairer way ? i.e. everyone would go through the AP,AO,SAO in a timely fashion (the introduction of ESTA fees concur in a support of a positive answer)
I think that is one of the most ludicrous and stupid comments I have read so far on BE.

The introduction of a fee for ESTA proves nothing other than an entity controlling the issue of a document they make mandatory to travel, can charge whatever fee for it they like. It matters not a fig if people needing it approve of the charge or not they have no choice.

Secondly in order to remove a perceived bias in the system you want everyone to pay more and go through AP. That because you have two passports from different countries, in different names, and claim to have lost one with a visa in it. Personally I think you are lucky the US is even considering your application. If I had been the C.O. I would have booted your arse out of the door with a stern warning never to grace those walls again. In your case I don't think there is any bias anyone presenting that sort of application would get the same treatment.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

1. EU countries work on having a common policy in terms of visa (i.e. if a country does not require a visa from country B , they will all apply the same policy towards country B) then you add this up with the DOS reciprocity principles, this would result in millions of irish-americans having to go through a visa application to visit the "old country" - you do not want to mess with that !!!
I'm not sure being 'Irish-American' extends to anything as extreme as actually visiting Ireland for the majority.

Besides, you have to remember the different mindsets involved here - I think most would agree the system can be 'unfair' at times - but the reality is it's not ever promised to be 'fair' as such a concept is entirely subjective and for most Americans it works in favour of the US which to them is 'fair'.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
I think that is one of the most ludicrous and stupid comments I have read so far on BE.

The introduction of a fee for ESTA proves nothing other than an entity controlling the issue of a document they make mandatory to travel, can charge whatever fee for it they like. It matters not a fig if people needing it approve of the charge or not they have no choice.

Secondly in order to remove a perceived bias in the system you want everyone to pay more and go through AP. That because you have two passports from different countries, in different names, and claim to have lost one with a visa in it. Personally I think you are lucky the US is even considering your application. If I had been the C.O. I would have booted your arse out of the door with a stern warning never to grace those walls again. In your case I don't think there is any bias anyone presenting that sort of application would get the same treatment.
Ok as soon as you get the venom out your system which is paralysing your brain , you might substantiate your opinion .
The introduction of ESTA has prOven , people are willing to pay whatever it takes to visit the USA without demanding any sort of reciprocity just to preserve the safety of the USA. Now we ve cleared this one out of the way let s go to your second statement. I would introduce an overall extra fee and request everyone to go through it for selfish reasons: 1. I am in no rush to travel so yes eventually AP will clear out the way and I will visit the USA
2. By 2005 I will emigrate to the USA why am I so certain? None of your business let us just see
3. If it does not concern you that s some law abiding people have to go through this checks and criminals who happened to have the "right" religion/place of birth/sex/etc do not have to go through those checks.that s your business , it does concern me ,maybe because I am just a caring person ...
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
Actually they don't, the UK operates its own border controls and makes its own rules. Not all EU countries sign up to the Shegen agreement.

Why they have ample means. The London Embassy has the same number of appointment blocks each day. They will not be in the least inconvenienced. People requiring a visa might as they will have to wait longer for an appointment, that will be of no concern to the consular section of the embassy.
One thing I learned about the EU and the UK is: eventually the UK will come to its sense (euro or immigration wise) they just need to see it working well for a while vs the rest of europe who have an ideallistic view of it (ending the war, etc...)
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:05 pm

Ok as soon as you get the venom out your system which is paralysing your brain , you might substantiate your opinion .
What I wrote was opinion with an explanation as to why I formed it.

Which bit of this didn't you undertsand - In your case I don't think there is any bias anyone presenting that sort of application would get the same treatment.

Last edited by lansbury; Dec 23rd 2011 at 5:15 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:13 pm

3. If it does not concern you that s some law abiding people have to go through this checks and criminals who happened to have the "right" religion/place of birth/sex/etc do not have to go through those checks.that s your business , it does concern me ,maybe because I am just a caring person ...
Everyone goes through the checks, the initial checks determine if some need a more stringent vetting than others. I have no problem with that. Unfortunately no system is perfect some will slip through who shouldn't, that concerns me, other people being inconvenienced to try and avoid that from happening is no concern to me at all.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

2. By 2005 I will emigrate to the USA why am I so certain? None of your business let us just see
Umm... that was almost 7 years ago!

... some will slip through who shouldn't, that concerns me, other people being inconvenienced to try and avoid that from happening is no concern to me at all.
Based on everything you've written, this statement is contradictory. You've been going on and on about how the entire process is an inconvenience to you... but now you're saying that you're okay with being inconvenienced if it helps ensure that the wrong sort of people don't slip through the system.

What's your definition of the "wrong sort of people"? How do we know you aren't an Islamic extremist trying to foist your POV on the good people of this forum so that we'll take up your cause and make it easier for terrorists to enter the US?

I'll ask again... why did you change your name? My guess? You wanted to anglicize your name so that on a job application you wouldn't automatically be discriminated against because of a foreign-sounding surname.

Then again, I'm pretty cynical.

Ian
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Based on everything you've written, this statement is contradictory.
The statement you quoted Ian was something I posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.