Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA at 17 with Parents constent

Moving to USA at 17 with Parents constent

Old Jul 30th 2017, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

JRMINT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to USA at 17 with Parents constent

Originally Posted by carcajou
The process definitely isn't what you think it is. Read the stickies.

Migrating is hard, perhaps one of the most difficult things you will ever do, and you will find swaggering about how you are going to get a visa is not going to be well-received in a forum like this because the process and experience can humble you in a millisecond.

Getting accepted to a university near where your aunt lives, and getting a study visa is a possible path - there is no pathway to residence from that but it will greatly increase your chances of getting into a relationship with an American girl whom you eventually marry, and that is the pathway. You apply to universities directly in the US. Hopefully your family is wealthy enough that you can just go to the vault and chip off what you need to pay the tuition fees for international students over four years.

Nobody will care that you did a high school business management apprenticeship in the UK, though it may serve to slightly enhance your CV for university acceptance. A university degree is an essential pre-requisite for many even minimum wage jobs in the US.

Other forumites - at age 17, could he be legally adopted by his aunt, and get a Green Card that way? Would he have to prove extenuating circumstances with his immediate family in the UK for that to happen?
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

I will look further into the adoption route or may just suck up and pay for uni. Perhaps I'll drop Trump an email, he's easy to persuade

Thank you
Old Jul 30th 2017, 1:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRMINT
Were you also making £35k a year? Didn't think so.
So you were earning £35k as a 16 year old apprentice? That's pretty good going....What qualification did you end up with?
Old Jul 30th 2017, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

JRMINT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So you were earning £35k as a 16 year old apprentice? That's pretty good going....What qualification did you end up with?
I was on £20k when I was 16. Turned 17 at the start of this year, not long after recieved my first promotion, leading to £35k.

I'm set to finish my level 4 in Business Administration, although I work in management.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 1:32 pm
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute

I was on £20k when I was 16. Turned 17 at the start of this year, not long after recieved my first promotion, leading to £35k.

I'm set to finish my level 4 in Business Administration, although I work in management.
Not bad when the national minimum wage for apprentices is £3.50 an hour.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 1:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StuBear65
Not bad when the national minimum wage for apprentices is £3.50 an hour.
Glad he's not my manager. Bet his staff love being bossed around by a 17 year old with no life experience!
Old Jul 30th 2017, 1:39 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Would it not be better at this stage to do the degree in the UK.

Also, does the company you work for have offices within the US? If not, perhaps make some contacts now and look to change to an employer who could later be in a position to do a company transfer.

Would be cheaper than studying in the US.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Dolewhippy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

I will look further into the adoption route or may just suck up and pay for uni. Perhaps I'll drop Trump an email, he's easy to persuade

Thank you
As a citizen with an adopted child from the UK, it's not that simple.

https://travel.state.gov/content/adoptionsabroad/en/adoption-process/who-can-adopt/adopting-a-relative-for-incoming-cases.html
Old Jul 30th 2017, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Would it not be better at this stage to do the degree in the UK.

Would be cheaper than studying in the US.

I was just thinking this, not saying at University level that one country is better than the other (US vs UK), but, to have access to the laughably cheap (relative) UK system at this stage of the OP's life is his best bet.

Although, since their attitude is so dire, I am not sure any US colleges will offer them a place anyway.

Last edited by PetrifiedExPat; Jul 30th 2017 at 3:10 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Were you also making £35k a year? Didn't think so.
Honest advice: if this isn't BS (because it sounds it), keep working in the UK and saving your money.

I'm assuming you live with the parents and don't have much in the way of expenses.

You aren't likely to get any where close to this income in the USA at this stage - and frankly £35k isn't a large salary by USA standards.

Maybe in the next few years you meet an American citizen.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
... When you reach 18.
Oh, didn't realize it had a minimum age... Although now I see why it could with signing contracts and whatnot.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

This has to be a wind up - Getting adopted just to study? Completed an apprenticeship at 17?
Old Jul 30th 2017, 6:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Honest advice: if this isn't BS (because it sounds it), ....
If there is even a hint of truth to this story I am thinking "family business", a sort of "Anglo-Trump Enterprises, Ltd".
Old Jul 30th 2017, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Earning £35,000 a year will not convince the US Immigration Authorities to bend the rules to give you a visa.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 6:23 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Just been looking up this "business administration apprenticeship". Level 4 is, obviously, a continuation of levels 2 and 3. Level 2 deals with the challenging subject of using a telephone and voicemail and also using Excel spreadsheets. Level 3 takes you into the demanding task of booking hotel rooms for business trips.

I've got a feeling that these are skills of which there is no shortage here.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 4:36 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

F1 student visa. Perhaps if you get into a good university and study a very in-demand subject like Computer science you might get a work visa at the end.

https://world.utexas.edu/isss/studen...treqs/finances

Tuition is $35k per year for 4 years
living expenses $11,500 per year for 4 years

You'll need considerably more than an apprenticeship to get in though.