Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to USA under E2 Visa

Moving from UK to USA under E2 Visa

Old Mar 4th 2016, 7:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to USA under E2 Visa

Originally Posted by The Moose
Because the product will be stored in my US warehouse and sales etc will be managed from there.
Ah, okay then!

I also have a whole host of business and incorporating related questions, however I don't think this is the right forum for them...
Most of the questions you've asked so far aren't right for this forum either, since none of them are actually related to immigration. They revolve around taxes, moving, rent, insurance, living in the US, etc. All of that information is better suited to the general USA forum.

Good luck to you!

Ian
Old Mar 4th 2016, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Originally Posted by NatashaB
When we moved, my husband went ahead and I stayed behind for a few weeks. He set up the new house in the US, I wrapped everything up in the old house. It was much easier for me to get everything clean when the house had already been packed into a crate and shipped. I put the cat on a flight at one end, he collected at the other having already got a litter tray, cat food, cat basket sorted - I think that's easier than having the cat fly at the same time as you. We used PetAir UK, I was very happy with them.
I must say, this is the route I think is going to be most comfortable for us to go down. That way, he can have a 'home' set up at both ends and not have to worry. Then, also, there's no faffing around in the airport trying to deal with both of us and then the cat. Having never gone into the US with a Visa, I don't know if the process is any different the first time around?

Originally Posted by Wintersong
For immigration, you would be considered a non-immigrant. For tax, it would depend on the amount of time you spend within the US, I believe. Judging by your stated intentions, it seems as though you'd be considered a resident alien for tax purposes.
Thank you for the clarification.

Yep, it has to be declared on US tax returns. You'll need to find an accountant who is familiar with the declaration of foreign income - we struggled to find anyone who knew what FBAR was on the one occasion that we needed to file it, so do your homework.
To get around having to file a FBAR, am I best off keeping my non-US based accounts at or around zero and move money back and forth? I don't know if I can have a US based account with, say, BOA, that is not in USD? With a bit of effort, I could arrange for all worldwide income to go straight into a US account - however I don't know if this is an issue as far as assets go. One for my prospective CPA I feel!

Yes on all counts. Some landlords are better than others at maintenance, obviously. Generally we've found that agencies respond more quickly to issues than private landlords, but lack of credit score on arrival may make it difficult to rent through an agency. Simply looking at the property should enable you to make a reasonable determination as to how good the landlord is with their maintenance of course!
Of course, the same the world over! My potential landlord is actually likely to initially be a close family friend which hopefully should help ! Although very often it means both sides think they can take the piss where in reality both sides just need to treat it as business.

We've had insurance through various different companies and have found both Aetna and Blue Cross to be good. We didn't like United Healthcare. I'm in California, though, so not sure if these companies also operate in Florida. When choosing plans, pay careful attention to deductibles and the out of pocket maximum!
Thanks for the pointers - I'd seen the deductibles, out of pocket maximums and coinsurance. A bit of a minefield ensuring the right policy is bought!

It sounds as though you've done your homework quite thoroughly. I don't have personal experience with a situation like yours, so can do nothing more than wish you the best of luck!
I try to at least have some idea of what I'm trying to do before attempting it! And thank you for your good wishes and comments!

Originally Posted by celticgrid
I assume that by "world" you mean the US? With that view you'll fit right in!
Obviously

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Good luck to you!

Ian
Thank you
Old Mar 4th 2016, 9:37 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

When we actually make the move, are we better to either both fly on the same plane with the cat in the hold with (say) Virgin, or one of us fly out there first, the other then sends the cat unaccompanied and then joins us shortly after?
One thing to bear in mind, airlines won't fly animals in the hold into the southern airports from May through September (think those are the months) because of safety concerns due to the temperature.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
One thing to bear in mind, airlines won't fly animals in the hold into the southern airports from May through September (think those are the months) because of safety concerns due to the temperature.
Thank you for that. From what I read, it's not hard to find an airline that will fly animals into the Southern airports during those months (as the animals go in a climate controlled area of the place and the animals are taken straight from the plane to a climate controlled room) - it's flying out that they won't do during those months.

I could be wrong, but that's what I've read!

I'm not going to have the cat in the cabin for 2 reasons - first, he likes to be free and a cabin bag will be much smaller than his travelling cage and secondly it's not fair if another passenger has a feline allergy.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 10:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... it's not fair if another passenger has a feline allergy.
Kudos to you for that. I find the thought of sharing a transatlantic flight with a cat or dog in the cabin to be, at best, unpleasant, and I'm not even alergic to cats or dogs.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 10:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to have the cat in the cabin for 2 reasons - first, he likes to be free and a cabin bag will be much smaller than his travelling cage and secondly it's not fair if another passenger has a feline allergy.
Not often someone makes a statement like that As someone like a severe allergic reaction to many cats I have a mortal dread of one day finding myself sat next to one on a flight. Most owners seem oblivious to the issue.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 10:52 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies everyone.

To get around having to file a FBAR, am I best off keeping my non-US based accounts at or around zero and move money back and forth? I don't know if I can have a US based account with, say, BOA, that is not in USD? With a bit of effort, I could arrange for all worldwide income to go straight into a US account - however I don't know if this is an issue as far as assets go. One for my prospective CPA I feel!
Definitely something that needs to be talked over with a CPA. FBAR is required if foreign bank account totals were over $10K at any point during the year so if you keep it below that amount, you wouldn't need to file FBAR. However, ALL foreign income MUST be reported to the IRS on your tax returns. Your CPA would be able to determine the best way to handle it depending on your total income and assets.
Our situation was relatively straightforward as it dealt with a one-off inheritance which passed through a UK bank account on its way to us. We declared it, filed FBAR, were not taxed on it and it wasn't too much of a headache once we found someone who knew what they were doing. Your situation is clearly very different as you'll have ongoing income which will need to be declared.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 12:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming my application for E2 visa goes smoothly, what will my residency status be? And from a tax perspective?
You will be resident for tax purposes in the US, but in a non-immigrant classification. There is no direct path to permanent residency, although you can sometimes pull off EB-5 if the business gets large enough.

Read IRS publication 519. Especially the bit on dual-status tax returns.

I will continue to have some residual income and assets here in the UK. I will of course be taxed on them here in the UK - I presume I'll also be taxed on this income/assets in the US also (of course whilst taking into account double taxation rules etc)?
Generally, you will claim a foreign tax credit on Form(s) 1116, so essentially you end up paying the higher of the two.

We will initially rent a property (have one lined up) in Florida where we're looking at moving to - this will allow us to get the business going and see whether it really is the right part of the world for us. I presume it's normal for my rental costs to be rent + utilities + renters/contents insurance - I trust property tax and maintenance is down to the owner?
Depends on the landlord at the end of the day but two important points - they usually do a credit check and you haven't got a credit history. The easiest way around that one is to get an Amex card now and transfer the account to the US when you move.

Property tax is a pig in Florida because only US citizens and LPRs can claim the homestead exemption, so you if own property you get charged the full whack of property tax.

As far as cats go, be sure you have a rabies vaccination certificate.

My wife will apply for the authorization (see I'm getting into the US spelling already!!) to work (EAD is it?) which I'm lead to believe on a E2 visa is a formality - hopefully her employer will provide us with a healthcare plan, however in the mean time I'll require medical/dental insurance - I suspect I'd be best off having a plan for this through my company which would then also cover employees (potentially at a lower coverage level depending on the options). What companies are recommended? Thank goodness, we are both currently in good health currently.
The usual trick with E-2 is for the primary bread winner to be the person that gets the EAD and the other person gets the visa. That means the person with the EAD has more flexibility because they can work for anyone.

Who is the best insurer depends on your perspective, hence www.healthcare.gov

Is there anything else that I need to be thinking about that I likely won't have thought of/something that's likely to trip me up?!
Probably a million things, but as far as E-2 goes, bear in mind the situation with the children. If you have children, they will age out at 21 and no longer have any legal status. On the other hand if you're thinking of having children, if they're born in the US they're US citizens and can sponsor you for permanent residence when they turn 21.

I also have a whole host of business and incorporating related questions, however I don't think this is the right forum for them - is there a good place for them to go?
In a nutshell, incorporate in Delaware or Nevada, if it's a small corporation, use an S-corporation, if you're going to have any sort of significant payroll it's better to use a C-corporation.

Don't be scared of being self-employed instead, accountants will always tell you to incorporate but personally I think the paperwork is easier if you're self-employed (but far from easy). But it saves you from doing all the payroll paperwork. You can always incorporate later once you're more comfortable with how the tax system works.

The absolute main #1 snag other than healthcare is that if you're running your own business you have to pay both halves of FICA, which means you're paying 15.3% before you even get to income taxes. (Payroll taxes and healthcare costs are the two main reasons I live in Canada).

Read the IRS self-employment guide.

If you haven't already figured it out, your tax return is going to be a pig, because it sounds as though you will be filing dual-status and self-employed at the same time, as well as claiming foreign tax credits and all the foreign account paperwork too. Think KPMG not H&R Block.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 2:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

As most of the questions in the opening post and subsequent replies are not relevant to this forum I am closing this thread.

The Moose..if you have further questions regarding visas please open a new thread in this forum. Please open a new thread if you have questions about accommodation, healthcare, pet travel, taxes etc in the Main US forum. Thank you.

USA - British Expats