Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Moving Home while N400 processing?

Moving Home while N400 processing?

Old Feb 25th 2022, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

pjplayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving Home while N400 processing?

My (UK Citizen, Green Card) wife (UK Citizen, Green Card) and I applied for citizenship in September 2020 (Sacramento, CA). Our estimated processing time recently changed from 2 months to 7 months.

In the meantime we had started to plan to a move back to the UK this summer. Our 2-year-old son (joint US/UK Citizen) was born in the US and I will retain my US job and work in the US occasionally, so we'd like to continue rather than abandon our N400 applications.

One option is to delay our move until our citizenship application is completed, but I wanted to check if it would be possible to continue with the N400 while living in the UK.

As long as we return to the US often enough to avoid a 6-month gap in residency, will living in the UK affect our N400 application? We likely will have sold our house but I will keep the same employer. Obviously we would travel to the US for interviews and oath ceremonies.

Any help and advice much appreciated.
Old Feb 25th 2022, 11:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Home while N400 processing?

Did you mean September 2021?

Rene
Old Feb 26th 2022, 12:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Did you mean September 2021?

Rene
Hi Rene,

Our initial application was September 2020. Based on processing times at that point, we were initially expecting the decision to be around May 2022, but recently our decision estimate changed to 7 months which puts us in September 2022:

N-400 status

Last edited by pjplayer; Feb 26th 2022 at 12:53 am. Reason: May 2022 not May 2021!
Old Feb 26th 2022, 1:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Sorry I don't have an answer for sure, but if it were me, I'd postpone moving until you become USCs. You're this close, why risk it.

Rene
Old Feb 27th 2022, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

If you were in San Francisco or San Jose, yours would not be an unusual timeline pre-pandemic, but not in Sac. That's a place from where I have two acquaintances (an Ukrainian among them) who took approximately 6 months each. A quick look at trackitt doesn't suggest that Covid has changed that to 16+ months for everyone.

However, it's not worth leaving until your process is complete. Part of the interview is a review of your travel record since you applied. There are just too many balls to juggle. While it is unfortunate that your process has taken so long, you're better off staying the course now.
Old Feb 27th 2022, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sun_burn
However, it's not worth leaving until your process is complete. Part of the interview is a review of your travel record since you applied. There are just too many balls to juggle. While it is unfortunate that your process has taken so long, you're better off staying the course now.
Thanks for the advice. I think we are probably going to wait it out. Although some people seem to be having more luck that us, the USCIS site has recently changed its processing time ranges, which means we can't enquire about our applications for another 6 months:

Seems that's the highest processing time anywhere in California. Very annoying!

Last edited by pjplayer; Feb 27th 2022 at 6:34 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2022, 6:24 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As a matter of interest, the Immigration & Nationality Act used to include a requirement for naturalization that the petitioner/applicant intend to reside in the United States and there was a presumption that if the new citizen took up foreign residence within a year of residence they had not had the requisite intent. That provision was eliminated by the 1994 MTINA enactment.

That said, what was NOT eliminated and still exists is the requirement of US residence at time of admission to citizenship. Denaturaliztion is allowed if the person did not meet the requirements at time of admission to citizenship.

Most of the body of case law on denaturalization involves Communists, Nazis and Mafiosi.

Interesting area of the law. I was never involved in such cases, but a friend had been a DOJ attorney with OSI so he did many denaturalizations. He is intrigued with current events in Ukraine under he rubric of “who would’ve thought.” My maternal grandparents were refugees over the Ukraine/Moldova border.)
Old Mar 1st 2022, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

These processing times reminded me of my application, which was lost by USCIS, then interviews were rescheduled (even though they had already been completed), after two year of ball dropping. When the officer requested my family came in again (for the GC removal of conditions, for the second time!), luckily COVID had hit (yes... luckily), I said no, time to approve the application. After that they invited me in the next day for the ceremony. Complete mess from top to bottom, lost my patience with them in the end.
Old Sep 26th 2022, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

We got oaffed last month so now I just need to check that nothing bad has happened in the UK in the last few months... Oh.
Old Sep 27th 2022, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

My N400 took a while, however, USCIS lost my application and only when ripped into did they finally sort it all out. Terrible scenario.
Old Sep 28th 2022, 10:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pjplayer
We got oaffed last month so now I just need to check that nothing bad has happened in the UK in the last few months... Oh.
What is "oaffed"??????????? I googled it and it is not a word.
Old Sep 28th 2022, 11:36 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
What is "oaffed"??????????? I googled it and it is not a word.
Ah, the perils of autocorrect. I think “oathed” was the intention.
Old Sep 30th 2022, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Right, because autocorrect takes a real word and turns it into a word that doesn't exist.
Old Sep 30th 2022, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Oaffed was the intention, you can speculate on the meaning!
Old Sep 30th 2022, 7:09 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by pjplayer
Oaffed was the intention, you can speculate on the meaning!
I am aware of the slang acronym based word. Didn’t quite seem to fit in context. (Auto-correct sometimes expands the vocabulary).