Wikiposts

move to usa unemployed?

Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: move to usa unemployed?

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I work as a bartender in NYC. Most places want documented workers. The illegals who do get dishwashing jobs are usually Mexican and get paid about $50 a day and work about 60 hours a week. There are some Irish Bars that still hire illegals but ICE has been doing more workplace raids and if I were you I would not take a chance. I worked with several Illegal Irish in NY and they were actually all able to open bank accounts at Washington Mutual but now that it's Chase that's no longer an option. They all rent apartments in Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx and actually amazingly have been able to get drivers licences! Unemployment is very high in NY. There have been lawyers and accountants that have come into my restaurant looking for bar/waiteressing work. Its not an easy job. I work in a high end place that requires extensive food and wine knowledge and will not hire anyone with less than 3 years solid food and beverage experience and you are tested on your knowledge. I get offended when people say they will take just a bar job. I have been in the bar/restaurant businesws for over 20 years and I make more money than alot of corporate people! This is on the books paying taxes on my wages and tips! Business has been down but luckily we are still doing ok. Do more research but do things the right way.
This is good advice. Bar work is a TOTALLY different beast in North America.

It should not be considered an entry-level job to 'get you started'. Bartending here is a proper profession in its own right and in general it will take you many years of work before you are going to get a decent gig.

As mentioned here, in the US legally it is not likely to be a job that is an option for a UK citizen. In Canada, you'll be able to get a visa that would allow you to do jobs like this, however the Canadian attitude to bartending, particularly in the big cities, is very much in line with the US model.

Having bartended in both the UK and Canada, I would not recommend this route. It can take a LONG time to work your way up before you start making decent tips, and even then you'll only manage that if you are actually skilled at the job.

Last edited by caleyjag; Feb 6th 2009 at 10:13 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 6:39 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

It's nice to hear from someone else who has bartended and understands where I am coming from. It's nothing like bartending in the UK or most of Europe. I went to a bar/club in London where there were four 18 year old girls behind the bar all trying to figure out how to pull a proper pint! I know that they are trying to implement "American Style" Bars over there but there's still a long way to go! Especially on the service end!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 6:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just stand up for the professional servers too?
Waitressing isn't for amatuers.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:40 am
Banned

e3visa is an unknown quantity at this point

Your best route is a J1 internship under the PCT program or as others have said do a US Masters Degree.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:19 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Thanks Meauxna! I waitressed for years as well. It's very hard work!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:46 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Quite right too.
There is a sign on my office wall which reads:

"Hi there!
My name's Tiffany,
and I'll be your %$#&@!% engineer today."
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Quite right too.
There is a sign on my office wall which reads:

"Hi there!
My name's Tiffany,
and I'll be your %$#&@!% engineer today."
That is hilarious.

Stolen, for various purposes.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

kstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to allkstoss9 is a name known to all

I have a friend who accepted a job as a Vet in Boston, she is from the UK, they did all the Visa paperwork back in August of 2008 and she was approved, but then there was a massive Scam uncovered with work Visas so the US told her they were revoking her approval and had to do her Visa application over. Her employer in Boston held the job from October (when she was suppose to start) until Feb of 2009 when the US finally told her they were denying her work Visa-due to the recent decline in unemployment rates in the US, they want a US citizen to fill the position. She is crushed and now stuck in Scotland, although all of her things and apartment are in Boston.

Just to let you know its very bad out there for job offers. My Husband came over on a fiance Visa in October. We have sent out 389 applications to companies all over Maine, NH and even Mass to find him anything from garbage collection to office work. He has not heard back from anyone, and its been 5 months. This is just really bad timing and from what I have heard Cali. has one of the highest unemployment rates and the State is currently broke.

Wish there was better news.

~Kate

Originally Posted by jiirtih
Hi there,

Apologies if these issues have been covered before, I'm new to the forum.

I'll give you the whole story so you can (hopefully!) give me more accurate advice.

I'm a 22 year old British male, I graduated from uni last year. Since then I've been working boring admin/office jobs, not what I went to uni for (I did PR/Journalism), but in the current climate we can't be too choosy can we!

Anyway, I was recently let go at the end of my temporary contract. Since then, I've been struggling to find any work in the UK.

I'm thinking of moving to the USA. California, in particular. I've visited a few times and love it. I also have some american friends from uni who live there.

I have enough saved to lived for around 3 months with no work. However, I am prepared to take pretty much any job there initially. Dish washing, bar work, valet, whatever.

I feel that I would stand more chance of getting a decent job in what I want to do if I was there to meet people face-to-face. However, pretty much everything i've read about visas says that you need a job before you can go. Or you need to be a full time student to get a J-1. Obviously, I'm graduated now.

Can anyone who has heard of/been in this situation offer any guidance?

Much appreciated.

Jiirtih