Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Move to America without a job waiting?

Move to America without a job waiting?

Old Apr 10th 2016, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

LPayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to America without a job waiting?

Like many of people on this website, I want to move, live and work in America. I am a 22 year old guy with a university degree and I would like to pursue my career path in America as I feel it fits well with things that are happening in my field.

Last year I travelled to many cities and states across America. Since then, I have known I want to go back and build my life and career.

Like many others, as I have seen on this website, I am struggling to find employment from companies in America. I have started to think that moving to America before gaining employment with anyone might be an option for me as I have no ties here right now.

I want this so desperately and I would like to make it happen whilst I am young with no commitments so I do not have to dragged anyone else along for the ride so to speak.

Any advice would be welcomed, I am running out of ideas!

LPayne
Old Apr 10th 2016, 1:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to America without a job waiting?

Welcome to BE.

Unless you are a US citizen you cannot just up and move to the US without the relevant visa. Most of us came here via work or marriage...both of which require visas.

Take a read through the following...if you fit into one of the categories you may have a chance of living in the US.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Good luck.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 10th 2016 at 1:23 pm. Reason: Insert Link
Old Apr 10th 2016, 1:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It is very difficult to get a job in the US when you need a visa, as the visa costs $5,000-$10,000 of visa and legal fees. Logistically getting the attention of employers when you are outside the US, even if you have a visa (as I did, my wife is a USC), is also difficult.

What is your degree in? If it isn't in computing, engineering, or similar technology, it is going to be even tougher to get the attention of employers. And the "window" for H-1 visas, the most likely visa for most would be immigrants looking for a "work visa", has just closed for 2016, so the next opportunity will be in early April 2017 for a job starting in October 2017.

The most likely way for you to live and work in the US is to build a career and relationship with an employer and then get transferred over. However, for you to be worth the expense of visa and legal fees, plus household relocation costs, you need to be a valued and experienced employee, not someone straight out of uni, so what you are hoping for might be achievable over say a ten year time horizon, but unfortunately is unrealistic in the short term.

As you are apparently single, there is always the Match/eHarmony/Chemistry route, which worked for some of us here.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 10th 2016 at 1:25 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 2:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

LPayne,

In answer to your thread title. ..no, you can't move to the USA without a job waiting. The only ways to move to the USA are family-based, employment-based, investment-based, or student-based, all of which require a visa in hand prior to moving to the USA.

How about doing a higher degree in the USA, you could get an F-1 visa. That doesn't lead directly to a green card, but it gives you several years in the USA, a year of OPT to work with an employer, gives you a chance to get your foot in the door with US employment contacts, and maybe meet a nice American partner that could lead to marriage.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2016, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LPayne
I want this so desperately...
I'll tell you what I tell others: when people are desperate, they tend to make very poor decisions... and when it comes to US immigration, it is absolutely true!

Ian
Old Apr 10th 2016, 5:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved all the off topic posts into a new thread in the Trailer Park forum. Please note that we ask that threads in this forum are kept on topic. Thank you.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail.../#post11919079