Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Mother retiring to US from UK, Daughter US citizen

Mother retiring to US from UK, Daughter US citizen

Old Jan 16th 2020, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

LNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Mother retiring to US from UK, Daughter US citizen

Hi,

My mother retired from her job last year and is looking to move over to the US to be closer to me - I am her only family left really, and other cousins we have are in CA. She's fully aware of many of the things required, yet we are unsure about the timeframe/limits.
I plan to send in her petition for a Visa in February. Once it gets approved, she'd be notified and it would move to London. One she does her medical and attends her interview, hopefully she would be approved and given a visa (or greencard) allowing her to move over. The issue is this. She needs to sell her house before she can move over, so once a visa is granted, is there a time limit on how soon she has to use it.
I came here on a K-1 visa so am very well aware of time limits and restrictions, but am unable to find any when I try and search, so thought I pop on here and ask if someone knows?

Thanks
From snowy Maine, LNR
Old Jan 16th 2020, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mother retiring to US from UK, Daughter US citizen

6 months from the Medical.

Probably beating a dead horse but presumably you have investigated the Medical situation.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

LNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond reputeLNR2205 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I had to do the medical myself, I delayed mine a couple of months cause London is on the complete opposite side of the country for me so timed it for when I was going there to then fly to America for a wee holiday. I thought the visa interview had to be within 6 months of the medical, not entering the country...........but maybe that is what I had to do to if I remember. Hmm. Gotta find someone to buy a house on a windy scottish island sooner rather than later it seems. Thanks
Old Jan 16th 2020, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

Well she can come over get her GC stamp, hopefully the card sooner than later and go back if she needs to to finish things up.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

I think that's what may end up happening. Do you know if she could wait to file her stuff for the medical once she's being given a visa number, i'e once my petition has been approved? Like I said, I delayed mine almost 2 months
Old Jan 16th 2020, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

Relatively easy to delay matters and even if you file soon we are looking at 2021 so lots of time even under normal processing.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
..... Probably beating a dead horse but presumably you have investigated the Medical situation?
Originally Posted by LNR2205
Yeah, I had to do the medical myself, I delayed mine a couple of months cause .....
I think Boiler was talking about medical insurance and expenses once she has moved to the US, .... and if he wasn't, then I'll ask the question myself.

While there is no great issue in entering then US then returning for a few months to sell her home and wrap up any other business, there is some appeal to taking the time before entering the US and activating her green card, which triggers falling under the scope of the IRS, to sell her house and dispose of any investments which create tax and//or reporting issues under the IRS rules, thereby making filing taxes in the US easier.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 16th 2020 at 7:07 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

Good point, most likely to be much simpler to sell before becoming a LPR. At least get competent guidance as a misstep could cost dearly.

And I was referring to the Health Insurance etc situation
Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for both responses. Our plan is for her to sell her house before hand, and then move over as she will be providing me with a down payment to buy a house with an in-law apartment. She has looked into health insurance thoroughly and understands the drastic change it will be from the NHS in Scotland, where even the prescriptions are free. She's confirmed and received in writing confirmation in how to received her pensions when she moves, so has covered all her bases - she's even checked the cost of transporting her cats here.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

I think it is because we see so many who have not given the issue due consideration, it is difficult for those who have worked here and have the benefits that this produces, much more so for those who retire here and have only their own resources to assist.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Jan 16th 2020 at 7:36 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I think it is because we so many who have not given the issue due consideration, it is difficult for those who have worked here and have the benefits that this produces, much more so for those who retire here and have only their own resources to assist.
And without, presumably, a whole career planning for the cost implications of retirement in the US.

I have heard in multiple places, that in the US, conservatively, you should go into retirement prepared to pay $125k ($250k for a couple) for out of pocket medical expenses over the remainder of your life, including supplemental health insurance and deductibles. Obviously that might be a high expense over a short period if you get cancer or have a heart condition, or could be relatively good health over 30+ years of retirement. But if you can't get onto Medicare for several years (isn't it a five year wait for retired new immigrants? ), I could see that conservative figure increasing by $10k for every year that you have to fund your own insurance.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

I have a passable understanding of the situation today, this year, but the future, who knows? Plus of course any Insurance is limited in its scope, the best bet is never to need it, but age catches up with most. I do know someone whose aged mother now is a retirement home, $70k a year and most is self funded. Off topic a bit I read an article where aged parents were being sent to Thailand as the facilities there were better for a lower cost, I know people who retired to Mexico etc on a similar basis, offshoring the aged I can see makes a lot of sense and I anticipate an explosive growth.

Old Jan 16th 2020, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And without, presumably, a whole career planning for the cost implications of retirement in the US.

I have heard in multiple places, that in the US, conservatively, you should go into retirement prepared to pay $125k ($250k for a couple) for out of pocket medical expenses over the remainder of your life, including supplemental health insurance and deductibles. .
Yeah, we've looked into the health care market the last few years to get a gauge of what prices would be. Currently she has no major health issues, and hopefully it will stay that was for a long time ( she's 66), but she does fall under pre-existing condition of high blood pressure so that will raise her cost. Health care is the reason we changed out plan from her buying her own how to giving us a down payment as it will allow her to keep more of the her own money for expenses such as healthcare
Old Jan 16th 2020, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

Pre existing conditions has not been a rating factor for some years.