More London Woes

Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:24 am
Just Joined

John Snyder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: More London Woes

Originally Posted by meauxna
You haven't said which documents you have submitted twice or why. I can't tell yet if you have had the petition approval (should have been ages ago) and were then contacted by the Visa Unit to start the visa application or if you are still stuck in USCIS.
Documents submitted 3 times since July (after her medical results went in) were:
DS-2001 Notification of Applicant Readiness; and
Checklist showing documents ready to bring to the Embassy.

I have already submitted the I-130 and received notification of receipt, back in February. I have also submitted the G-355A and the I-864.

And here we sit....
Old Sep 6th 2009, 5:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Snyder
Documents submitted 3 times since July (after her medical results went in) were:
DS-2001 Notification of Applicant Readiness; and
Checklist showing documents ready to bring to the Embassy.

I have already submitted the I-130 and received notification of receipt, back in February. I have also submitted the G-355A and the I-864.

And here we sit....
OK, so that's definitely the visa application. And you have all the checklist documents?
I'd *definitely* email them with the information here and ask them to find your case. You are well outside of processing time at this point.
In the meantime, locate the contact information and privacy release notice for the Representative and both Senators for your US residence and have those ready to go for after the holiday weekend (of course, it would have to be *this* week wouldn't it).

You aren't months out of date, but it is time to make a little bit of noise.

You asked earlier if that email would go to USCIS or an Embassy employee.. just want you to be clear that you need to reach a Consular employee now, commonly known as the Immigrant Visa Unit.. that londonconsular@ email is valid even though you got the 'reject' reply.
I would also call the number PC posted, probably before I'd call my US reps.

I do wonder about this: you submitted the I-864 already? That goes to the visa interview... where did you submit it? Be prepared to re-do it, just in case.

And in your first post you said Now, due to the UK ex-pat tax situation, we're having to leave earlier than anticipated.". I've been curious what that tax situation is that would cause you to leave the UK.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Ian--we are moving to Summersville, in Nicholas County.
My FIL is from Nicholas Co., so I know it fairly well. I guess you must be moving there to retire, since there isn't an awful lot there apart from the lake. I agree with Ian about the speed traps. In fact, the whole of Rte 19, from 77 to 79, got worse after they 4 laned it a few years ago.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
And in your first post you said Now, due to the UK ex-pat tax situation, we're having to leave earlier than anticipated.". I've been curious what that tax situation is that would cause you to leave the UK.
Basically, it's a unilateral abrogation of the tax agreement between the two countries by the UK. If I stay, my U.S. earnings will be taxed by the UK on top of the taxes I pay to the IRS. When my brother and I sell the last of the family ranch in California, I will be liable for capital gains tax in the UK. I don't think so!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Redwing
My FIL is from Nicholas Co., so I know it fairly well. I guess you must be moving there to retire, since there isn't an awful lot there apart from the lake. I agree with Ian about the speed traps. In fact, the whole of Rte 19, from 77 to 79, got worse after they 4 laned it a few years ago.
My wife runs an internet-based business that will remain in the UK with her business partner. Using the 5-hour time difference, we will extend the business day and continue to process orders from Summersville, via the UK-based server. I will also be handling the website management, and we'll handle e-mail inquiries; we'll also take phone inquiries from US customers to save them an international call. I also run my own Nevada-based historic preservation consulting business, and am on the staff of a nationwide engineering/environmental consulting firm, attached to their Reno office. I will continue both those endeavors, and am already in touch with the firm's East Coast offices (located in almost every state except WV) and will be doing work for them as well.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:10 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

When my brother and I sell the last of the family ranch in California, I will be liable for capital gains tax in the UK. I don't think so!
It's a quirk in the UK/US tax treaty, but when someone emigrates to the US, becomes a PR, and then sells their property in the UK, they are liable for US capital gains tax. It's been that way for many, many years... which is why we try to get people to sell their property prior to entering the US (for those on a CR-1/IR-1 visa).

Ian
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It's a quirk in the UK/US tax treaty, but when someone emigrates to the US, becomes a PR, and then sells their property in the UK, they are liable for US capital gains tax. It's been that way for many, many years... which is why we try to get people to sell their property prior to entering the US (for those on a CR-1/IR-1 visa).

Ian
My stomach has just dropped 50 floors reading that!!! I am renting my house out in the UK for a few years to let the market pick up, then sell it. I hope I haven't made a massive mistake. I was expecting to pay a small amount of UK capital gains but not any to Uncle Sam.....

I think I'll just roll around the floor hysterically for a while while that sinks in

Eheem.

Ian - thanks for that info. Does that apply even if the UKC has paid some capital gains tax on the sale of a property in the UK? Would US capital gains tax still be potentially payable then? (just thinking about this arrangement where people shouldn't be taxed twice)
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
My stomach has just dropped 50 floors reading that!!! I am renting my house out in the UK for a few years to let the market pick up, then sell it. I hope I haven't made a massive mistake. I was expecting to pay a small amount of UK capital gains but not any to Uncle Sam.....
Fries, you should search + read on this at the USA part of the forum; it's come up several times and there are some good discussions about it. You can also post a new thread.. your situation is a little bit different in that you won't be a PR/Permanent Resident at entry (you're coming on a K-1 right) but you will be in a few years. See about how long you need to have held the house + lived in it etc.

Basically, it's a unilateral abrogation of the tax agreement between the two countries by the UK. If I stay, my U.S. earnings will be taxed by the UK on top of the taxes I pay to the IRS. When my brother and I sell the last of the family ranch in California, I will be liable for capital gains tax in the UK. I don't think so!
Ahh, you're "too" resident over there? My folks had a similar issue with Spain.
Your businesses sound very interesting!
Have just finished my own 'historic preservation' this year in remodeling the 1925 money pit.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 6:12 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

First thing Tuesday call the Department of State in Washington on this phone number:-

202 663 1225 (then you will need to follow the prompts)

they can access the records held in London and see what the situation is with your case. They will look at exactly the same record as London uses and tell you the uptodate situation.

Cheaper than calling the help line in Scotland and you get realy useful information.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 6:54 am
Just Joined

To all of you who have given help--and especially "Lansbury"--many thanks. We'll see what the State Department in DC has to say before I get on the phone to my representatives. More anon.

Cheers,
John
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
call this number: 09042-450100
That number doesn't work. As soon as I dial as far as 09042-45 it drops off to a dial tone. I'm going to have to call the State Department in DC.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
First thing Tuesday call the Department of State in Washington on this phone number:-

202 663 1225 (then you will need to follow the prompts)

they can access the records held in London and see what the situation is with your case. They will look at exactly the same record as London uses and tell you the uptodate situation.

Cheaper than calling the help line in Scotland and you get realy useful information.
Yep, got through to a very helpful lady who pulled up the case, and it looks like the Embassy folks have managed to lose the DS-230 we sent in June. She's e-mailing them today with the pertinent information, our e-mail & phone, and I'm supposed to call her back in 2 days to find out what's going on. That grinding sound you hear is my teeth gnashing....
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:27 am

Yep, got through to a very helpful lady who pulled up the case, and it looks like the Embassy folks have managed to lose the DS-230 we sent in June. She's e-mailing them today with the pertinent information, our e-mail & phone, and I'm supposed to call her back in 2 days to find out what's going on. That grinding sound you hear is my teeth gnashing....
The good news is that they generally fast track a case when this happens (it does every now and again). Be ready with your entire submission and ready to happily communicate that to them. A little human-relations grease at this point will help you.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:46 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

That grinding sound you hear is my teeth gnashing....
At least you know there is a problem and somebody you can talk to is working on it.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:15 am
Just Joined

Default Many Thanks!!!

To all who contributed their suggestions and support, many thanks.

After phoning the State Department on Tuesday, I was told to call back today and ask for the same person. When I phoned at about 9AM DC time today, I was told she was out sick and was told to phone back after noon DC time. I decided to wait until 1PM their time. Since I was off-site helping to paint our business' new office, I was away from my computer.

I got home about 5 this afternoon, with an hour to kill before the second phone call. I logged on to download my e-mail, and found one from our State Department benefactress, informing us that the embassy mailed Pack 4 on Tuesday (Coincidence? I don't think so.) and that Caroline's interview is scheduled for 10AM, September 23.

Fingers crossed, folks--and thanks again to all of you. Without your help, we'd likely still be sitting waiting and stewing.

Cheers,
John & Caroline

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.