More confused than ever!!!

Old Jun 20th 2002, 2:20 am
Northspoon

Default More confused than ever!!!

Ok I am more confused than ever (maybe its the wine)..........lol

actually i think it might be wise not to read these postings until i have a real
problem )..........thing is.......i just want to be prepared for every eventuality
anyways.......sigh My boyfriend USC will be arriving here on 17th July we are
planning to get married on 10th August.........then begin the visa process. I know
its not easy to plan these things because no two cases are the same........its just
that i have tried to plan the receiving of my visa with my children's education here
in the UK. I orginally heard that it takes 6 to 12 months for approval of a spousal
visa. It's with this time line i have tried to plan, beginning the process, with the
eventual,receiving the visa........to materialise, within a 6 months time frame...in
order to accomodate my youngests daughter completion of her studies.... from the post
i have just read, it seems that u can get a spousal visa much sooner??? if this is
the case, then we shouldn't file just yet???????

Old Jun 20th 2002, 8:20 am
Shelley

Default Re: More confused than ever!!!

I believe most spousal visas do take closer to a year to complete. If the process is
going too fast for your timetable, you can always request a later appointment date at
the Consulate, and you have 6 months after your visa is issued to use it. It's
probably best not to delay filing, since if there is anything missing or mistakes
made and your receive an RFE, you might be delayed even more than you wanted to be.
Take Care. Shelley

"northspoon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Ok I am more confused than ever (maybe its the wine)..........lol
    >
    > actually i think it might be wise not to read these postings until i have a real
    > problem )..........thing is.......i just want to be prepared for every
    > eventuality anyways.......sigh My boyfriend USC will be arriving here on 17th July
    > we are planning to get married on 10th August.........then begin the visa process.
    > I know its not easy to plan these things because no two cases are the
    > same........its just that i have tried to plan the receiving of my visa with my
    > children's education here in the UK. I orginally heard that it takes 6 to 12 months
    > for approval of a spousal visa. It's with this time line i have tried to plan,
    > beginning the process, with the eventual,receiving the visa........to materialise,
    > within a 6 months time frame...in order to accomodate my youngests daughter
    > completion of her studies.... from the post i have just read, it seems that u can
    > get a spousal visa much sooner??? if this is the case, then we shouldn't file just
    > yet???????

Old Jun 20th 2002, 8:20 am
Mrtravel

northspoon wrote:
    >
    > from the post i have just read, it seems that u can get a spousal visa much
    > sooner??? if this is the case, then we shouldn't file just yet???????

To get the spouse visa quicker, he would have to file I-130 in London at the consular
seciton of the US Embassy. However, to do that requires him to ne a resident of the
UK, not just a visitor. If he files I-130 here, he can also file I-129F to get a K-3
visa for you. The process is still going to take 6 months to a year.

Old Jun 20th 2002, 9:20 am
Des

Hi there, Best to keep your calm and take one day and one step at a time, otherwise
you'll go crazy with all this paperwork and the organization of the wedding etc.!

What I understand from your post, your major issue is your children's end of school
year/studies. You are getting married on August 10, then are planning to file for
K-3/K-4 visas immediately... When will your daughter have finished her studies? This
year or next?

The K-3 process is relatively new so the time frame can vary, but you can speed it up
by having the paperwork and assorted evidence such as marriage certificate, birth
certificates etc. ready when needed. The Doc Steen site - the link is usually in
Alvena's signature - gives a good overview.

Also, if I am not mistaken (someone correct me if I'm wrong!), once the visa is
issued you have 6 months to enter the US, which should give you an additional time
frame to play with in organizing the move!

-Des

Old Jun 20th 2002, 11:20 am
Richard Sun

I would take a look at http://k1.exit.com

There are two different popular ways to file for a spousal visa (I-130).

One is for the applicant to file at the Service Center that handles their district.
The other is called a DCF (Direct Consular Filing). This is where the I-130 is filed
at the consulate abroad. From past readings, the DCF is much quicker then filing at
the Service Center. There's one catch, not every consulate abroad will file a DCF for
an US citizen. Usually the US citizen must have some sort of residency in the foreign
country, etc. In my opinion I would file as soon as possible, if things get too
tight, when your interview is scheduled, you can always ask them to schedule further
in the future? With the INS, you can never tell when something going to get done, so
as soon as possible is what I always think.

Here's my current time line:

http://www.richsun.com/20020227.html

Old Jun 20th 2002, 10:20 pm
Northspoon

[email protected] (Des) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    >>
    > What I understand from your post, your major issue is your children's end of school
    > year/studies. You are getting married on August 10, then are planning to file for
    > K-3/K-4 visas immediately... When will your daughter have finished her studies?
    > This year or next?
    >
Firstly can i thank everyone who replied to my post.

After we are married we will file a petition I-130. My daughter finishes her studies
in june of next year. I have taken (I think ) into consideration the 6 months
period within which we are allowed to use the Visa. We would prefer to move to the US
in October next year when the flights are cheaper and having that extra time to
finalise all my dealings in the UK. We werent going to bother with the k3/k4 petition
and just rely on the I-130. Do you think this might be a wrong move???? If we file in
august and it's through in 6 months, that brings us to February which means my
daughter's studies will be over with one month left to use the visa. If it takes a
year then that will bring us to August so we will still be able to go as we wish in
October. If it takes any longer then ill be miserable because i want us all to be
re-united as soon as possible not withstanding my daughters studies. Is it naive of
me to think this may work????? Am i right in thinking we can get the I-130 approved
in about a year???? Should we file the K3/4 visa just in case???? Thanks

Old Jun 21st 2002, 5:20 pm
Mrtravel@Sbcglo

northspoon wrote:

> I checked out the link u sent me and it states that we need to apply for a K visa
    > and as i wrote in my last post, i am not sure if we are obliged to petition for the
    > K3/4 or whether we can go the I-130 only. If we can get the I-130 approved in about
    > a year then i am thinking it's all we may need to do.

If you get married in August 2002, then immediately file the I-130, then you would
probably be in the US by next summer as a resident without needing the K-3 visa. If
your interview is scheduled too early, you could get it changed to a date that falls
within 6 months of your planned arrival.

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 3:20 am
Northspoon

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > northspoon wrote:

>
    > If you get married in August 2002, then immediately file the I-130, then you would
    > probably be in the US by next summer as a resident without needing the K-3 visa. If
    > your interview is scheduled too early, you could get it changed to a date that
    > falls within 6 months of your planned arrival.

Cool!! thats all i needed to know thanks a bunch