More Advice!!

Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

campermike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More Advice!!

Firstly, a huge thank you to all those who gave assistance in my last plea for help!! to keep you all updated..... we can't apply for a KI because we haven't known each other more than 2 years (only 16 months), the J1 options I was looking at have a 2 year HRR attached to them so thats a no-no!!

however..... aha!! for the last 2 years i have been working at a summer camp and been getting short term, 3 month J1s which DO NOT have a 2 yr HRR. so my next question... what if the gf and i decide that leaving each other a 4th time is too much and decide to wed. what would happen and what can i/we do to keep me from coming back to the UK??
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:27 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More Advice!!

Originally Posted by campermike
we can't apply for a KI because we haven't known each other more than 2 years (only 16 months)
Take a look at the instructions on the I-129f form. You won't find a requirement saying you must have known each other for 2 years.

You will however find a requirement that you must have met in person within 2 years of filing the I-129f.

Just out of curiosity, are you current in the U.S., or are you currently outside the U.S?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, a huge thank you to all those who gave assistance in my last plea for help!! to keep you all updated..... we can't apply for a KI because we haven't known each other more than 2 years (only 16 months), the J1 options I was looking at have a 2 year HRR attached to them so thats a no-no!!

however..... aha!! for the last 2 years i have been working at a summer camp and been getting short term, 3 month J1s which DO NOT have a 2 yr HRR. so my next question... what if the gf and i decide that leaving each other a 4th time is too much and decide to wed. what would happen and what can i/we do to keep me from coming back to the UK??
You do not have to have known each other for 2 years. You have to have met in person within the past 2 years. If you have met in person within the past 2 years, your fiancee can file the I-129F petition as soon as she has all the relevant backup documents in hand.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 16th 2008 at 10:36 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

I am currently in the UK finishing off my degree (last year!!) and my gf and i want nothing more than to spend the rest of our lives together! does it make a difference if we are in the US or not??
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

And I had to leave the US a month ago today (boo) - so we have definitely seen each other in person within the last 2 years!!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

And I had to leave the US a month ago today (boo) - so we have definitely seen each other in person within the last 2 years!!
Then for your specific purpose (traveling to the USA in order to marry your fiancee and remain in the USA), the K-1 is the way to go. And now you know you qualify.

Since you weren't planning to move to the USA until next year anyway, even the timing is perfect for you!

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:28 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Then for your specific purpose (traveling to the USA in order to marry your fiancee and remain in the USA), the K-1 is the way to go. And now you know you qualify.
He did mention a prior plea for help on the forum so maybe you already know the facts, but there are more requirements than just having met within the past 2 years. Is his fiancée a USC? Has she filed more than 2 I-129fs in the past? Is there past criminal problems to take into account? Are either of them of an age that would require special permission to marry in the state where the marriage is to occur? Does the U.S. fiancée meet or exceed the minimum income requirement? There are more I could list, but those are the first to spring to mind.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
He did mention a prior plea for help on the forum so maybe you already know the facts, but there are more requirements than just having met within the past 2 years. Is his fiancée a USC? Has she filed more than 2 I-129fs in the past? Is there past criminal problems to take into account? Are either of them of an age that would require special permission to marry in the state where the marriage is to occur? Does the U.S. fiancée meet or exceed the minimum income requirement? There are more I could list, but those are the first to spring to mind.
Yes, sorry, I said they qualified when I should have said they meet the requirement of having met in person in the past two years. I was only refering to that one item. I figured once they realize they CAN look into filing the I-129F, they would then go forth and read the instructions and see if they meet all the other eligibility requirements.

Rene