Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Mentally exhausted after getting Visa

Mentally exhausted after getting Visa

Old Mar 26th 2003, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mentally exhausted after getting Visa

Just thought I'd get a straw poll of all those who've successfully gotten their visa to get to the US for whatever reason.

I had a successful medical & interview at the US Embassy in London yesterday. Last night I was in bed by 8pm. Unheard of. I even missed most of Fear Factor. Again, unheard of in my house.

I've now just got back from work and am DRAINED, physically and mentally. My brain just wants to relax. I'm planning on doing less than nothing tonight and for the rest of the week. I may even be in bed by 7pm (so don't expect a reply from me to this thread til tomorrow!).

All I can think of is that after 6 months, I no longer have to think about forms or documents or interviews or medicals. Has anyone else experienced this lethargy after getting their visa?
Old Mar 26th 2003, 4:37 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

YUH HUH!!!!!
I had my interview on 13th Jan, and I was living in Wales at the time. I got back to Mum's (about an hour's train ride from London) around 4pm, and then had to drive for 3 hours back to Wales. I got back there about 11pm, and I was sooooooo tired. I'd already booked the next day off work, though, so I could catch up on my sleep. Well deserved it was, too!!! This process does take it's toll on people. Mentally, physically, and emotionally. Well worth it when you can book your one way flight and be re-united with your loved one, though!
Kate. xxxxx
Old Mar 26th 2003, 4:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mentally exhausted after getting Visa

Everyone reacts differently to stress and therefore the release of stress. For yourself, it is exhaustion and to be frank about it, you are in England and dealt with the US Consulate in London and thereby had a walk in the park in comparison to others.

For me, the release of stress means exhilaration and a high level of energy.

Hope they taped your show for you.

Rete

Originally posted by datcha
Just thought I'd get a straw poll of all those who've successfully gotten their visa to get to the US for whatever reason.

I had a successful medical & interview at the US Embassy in London yesterday. Last night I was in bed by 8pm. Unheard of. I even missed most of Fear Factor. Again, unheard of in my house.

I've now just got back from work and am DRAINED, physically and mentally. My brain just wants to relax. I'm planning on doing less than nothing tonight and for the rest of the week. I may even be in bed by 7pm (so don't expect a reply from me to this thread til tomorrow!).

All I can think of is that after 6 months, I no longer have to think about forms or documents or interviews or medicals. Has anyone else experienced this lethargy after getting their visa?
Old Mar 26th 2003, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

I think the last time I felt like this was after my first weekend camp with the Boy Scouts when I was a nipper. Still pretty elated though, especially as I told my boss today I'm leaving in a few months =)

I'm fully aware of how comparitively easy our process was compared with other peoples situations but even so, I'm proud that I spent all those hours, days and weeks doing my homework, getting everything together and making sure it was 100% watertight. That was the real stress. As with everyone else, though, the Embassy/Service Center/etc was completely out of my control with their processing timescales so I never let that get to me.

As for Fear Factor, I kinda dropped off after they served up the "Fear Factor Pizza" in round two..... it was VILE.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 5:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As for Fear Factor, I kinda dropped off after they served up the "Fear Factor Pizza" in round two..... it was VILE.

I was forced to watch this show once the first year it came out. My husband's relatives, who we were visiting, insisted they HAD to watch it while they served coffee and dessert. I found it out and out childish and downright stupid. Amazing what people will do for money, including prostituting themselves to some thought to be millionaire for the sake of the gold ring. If those are reality shows, then my life must be the fantasy.

Rete ;-)
Old Mar 26th 2003, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rete
I was forced to watch this show once the first year it came out. My husband's relatives, who we were visiting, insisted they HAD to watch it while they served coffee and dessert. I found it out and out childish and downright stupid. Amazing what people will do for money, including prostituting themselves to some thought to be millionaire for the sake of the gold ring. If those are reality shows, then my life must be the fantasy.

Rete ;-)
I think I enjoy the show because I seem to suffer from the great British tradition of wanting to see macho, big-headed and self-loving people fail miserably, preferably infront of an audience of millions. The host of the show is the star in my eyes - his grin as he stares in disbelief at some of the goons who go on there is worth a million words.

Anyway, terribly off-topic right now so, boing, back we go!
Old Mar 26th 2003, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I enjoy the show because I seem to suffer from the great British tradition of wanting to see macho, big-headed and self-loving people fail miserably, preferably infront of an audience of millions. The host of the show is the star in my eyes - his grin as he stares in disbelief at some of the goons who go on there is worth a million words.

Anyway, terribly off-topic right now so, boing, back we go!

And hell they dont come more macho or Big headed than that show.

Now is it just me or not..........why are all the men so damn fit and honed, and why do all the women have perfect figures with big breasts, lol. I want to see some podgy blimps out there fighting for the ultimate prize, smoking between takes and eating lots of fried foods. Believe me I know a few lads from down the pub that would eat those fermented Pigs testicles and Squid guts without batting an eye, and in one, not some soft arse nibble and gag way.

Rob
Old Mar 27th 2003, 10:15 pm
Michael

Default Re: Mentally exhausted after getting Visa

Just wait till you get to the USA, then your real headaches will start. Good
Luck.

Home Page: http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/h/khogue22/index.htm
Join in chat at #ukweather on undernet.
chat website http://www.weather.me.uk/

Old Mar 28th 2003, 9:56 pm
Srzia27

Default Re: OT fear factor

> I want to see some podgy blimps out there fighting for the ultimate
    >prize, smoking between takes and eating lots of fried foods. Believe me
    >I know a few lads from down the pub that would eat those fermented Pigs
    >testicles and Squid guts without batting an eye, and in one, not some
    >soft arse nibble and gag way.
    >Rob

lolololol rofl

Old Mar 29th 2003, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

gonecountry is an unknown quantity at this point

hey dave....
you ain't seen nothing yet hun!
since we got back from embassy tuesday night......
booked flights, booked animal cargo passage, sold car, booked hire car this side, booked hotel this side, ordered dollars, had haircuts (me , hubby and the dog) ordered clothes for the climate, booked a rental property until 30th April- god knows where we live after that, sold packed and posted 25 items on ebay, made about 20 calls to natwest credit card centre who have after 8 weeks still not sent my card- no card no hire car.... no hire car- disabled husband, 4 month old baby, 2 teenagers, cat, dog and me stranded at Houston Airport 200 miles from our new home with no way of getting there.... panicked alot... still not solved planning a trip to collect the card next week if they can get it ready- apparently its only a small possibility... any ideas anyone????. Still no home for other cat- worried... celebrated 38th birthday, introduced baby to solid food, baby had second set of shots, arranged meter readings, cancelled phone and sky TV, tried to get forwarding address for everyone... can't get PO box till we get there and therefore can't formally forward mail- took 2 boxes to charity shop, yelled at council for not collecting our rubbish for 2 weeks and there is now a lot of it!Screamed at husband unnecessarily probably 4 times and cried twice!
knackered running on thin air and will need to spend several weeks on the beach when i get there....
Ginny
Old Mar 29th 2003, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

DonnaT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dog Shipping?

Hi,

We are in the process of the dog shipping. How did you go about it?

Donna T
Old Mar 29th 2003, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

gonecountry is an unknown quantity at this point

we are using airpets

www.airpets.com they make it easy but not cheap!
Ginny
Old Mar 29th 2003, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

DonnaT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ginny, I just sent for a quote.

Donna