Meet Up in D/FW Area?

Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

thosebrits will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Meet Up in D/FW Area?

That sounds great. We will definately arrive before school starts so I'll keep you updated on our plans. I can't wait to get back. Chicago is great but just too cold.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I've certainly been enjoying the weather...had enough snow after living in MI for 8 years. Moving can be so stressful...keep smiling...you'll be in the warmth soon !
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Snow is only meant for Christmas and when you feel like having a snow day I'm just wondering if I've been to Weatherford, I remember passing through Mineral Wells one time on the way back to Flower Mound, so I may have passed through. Do you go down to the Stockyards much? We used to love going down there, kids loved Buckaroo's Soda Shop and we used to love having a beer in the outdoor garden at the White Elephant Saloon. Happy Days
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

We live just off the I20 between Aledo and Weatherford..I like the rural "feel". Been to the Stock yards...great fun. Enjoying trying out the different restaurants in FW ...so much more to see and do than where we were before. Have a great weekend....
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

I definately prefer Fort Worth to Dallas. Downtown Grapevine is great also.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 3:31 am
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

Gawd, you lot are rubbish at organising anything! Not that I'm volunteering, mind.

I'm currently in Euless, from Colchester. Have been here off and on for most of 2007, and more or less continuously since Dec, but only on the VWP (not working, of course), so now need to get legal. My company has offered me a job (they're in lovely Irving, on top of the soon-to-be-defuct Cowboys stadium), so I'm hoping they can get going on the L-1, I fly back to the UK to visit the embassy, then I get back out here.

If you don't mind, I'm kinda hijacking this thread a little with a few other questions, since you're all 'locals' to the DFW area. I've had the luxury of my company paying for most things over the past few months (car, apartment etc), but from April I'll have to find my own feet. I've renewed on the apartment for another few months, but the car is the big question. I'd rather not pay the $700 (+ silly insurance) for the hire car, but are there any options for someone with no US credit history, and limited cash (until my divorce is finalised)? My UK credit rating is fine, and thats how the apartment was secured, but I've yet to find a car dealer that's interested in that kind of thing.

BTW, I prefer thai over indian food , as does my (Texan/Nebraskan) OH. I do get some English swag from the Grapevine place, but the stock is fairly limited. I hear they've got limited edition champagne Marmite over in the UK right now, and if it's anything like as good as the Guiness Marmite, I want some! I also want to find somewhere that does decent cheese...picked up some mature Irish cheddar in Costco, but it's still not strong enough.

Oh, one other question...in the UK, 80% of my worky clothes come from Next, but there's nowhere like that over here that I've found. Is there anywhere in DFW that sells "european" cut trousers? I.e. not big, baggy, pleated US style trousers?

Thanks all!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Liselebrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Im originally from Liverpool, UK and live in Shreveport, Louisiana which is about 3-4 hours east of DFW ( depending on presence of state police on I20 LOL ) I would love to attend a get together in Dallas as I cant find any ex-pats on this side of the state line! Ive been to Dallas a few times, mainly for airport runs and outlet mall shopping! I look forward to hearing from you all.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Is there a Trader Joes in the area? I just came back from our local one and got Double Glocester with chives and Cheddar with caramelised onions. My OH is still in bed otherwise I would have asked him about clothes, I don't think he has bought anything over here for a while.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:42 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

Naw, no Trader Joes in Tx.

There's no emergency on the clothes, just getting a bit frsutrated from finding nothing in the malls around here. Well, that and the fact that I seem to be needing my "36 inch" wardrobe, which is still back in the UK. Damn this cheap, fattening food :-)
Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

You will be able to get English cheese at Whole Foods and I guess your local one is Arlington. I was there at Christmas for cheese and it was really good. I didn't realise Trader Joes wasn't in TX. We are in IL at the moment but moving down in the summer, we haven't lived in TX since 2002 so no doubt everything will be totally different.