Medical for visa in London

Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

oceans.apart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical for visa in London

I thought I would post this because I only found one other persons post about having your medical for your Visa at Knightsbridge doctors and his experience was very different to mine. I followed the guidelines on the US embassy web site and got all my, and my 3 children's medical records to take with us (at a cost of £50). We took the train to London Paddington and then taxi to Knightsbrige doctors which cost about £10. On arrival there are a big flight of stairs with 2 separate doors to go through. My son had a broken leg and is in a wheelchair. There is not wheelchair access! I had to carry him and the wheelchair up the stairs myself. I expected it to be a bit upmarket because of what they charge. Yes the building is old and i suppose posh, but the doctors are a money making business. They don't even have a water cooler. Take drinks snacks, and something to do because we were there for 4 hours!
First I was taken into a room told to take my top off and put on a gown, I then had a chest x-ray, and was told to keep the gown on. My children are under 14 so didn't need any x-ray.
I had initially been a bit nervous because the details on the US embassy say a full medical examination including genitals.
Then back to the waiting room to sit. The waiting rooms get very full and often you have to stand.
Each of my children were called in turn and i went in with them, The doctors looked in their ears, eyes, felt their stomach, listened to their chest, and said he didn't need the medical notes, because I would tell him anything he needed to know.
Eventually it was my turn, he listened to my chest,drew some blood from my arm for a syphilis test and thats all. The nurse had taken our vaccination records away. we were told to wait back in the waiting room.
She then called me in and told me what we needed, told me i could have them there for £210 or phone my own doctors. I phoned my doctors but getting the vaccinations would be quite a hassle and would cost maybe £100 less, so I decided to have it done then and there. I did tell the nurse I had had a a cold the last few days with a fever, she asked if i still was hot, i said no, and i was given all the vacines. The one thing that made me mad is she said afterwards, oh you aren't pregnant are you? I said no, and she said well don't get pregnant for 3 months because of the MMR and DPT vacine. My husband and I have been trying for a baby. We were then sent back to the waiting room, I was called to reception to pay and we left. I felt the whole experience was a farce. Out medical results will be sent to the US embassy in time for out interviews. The whole experience cost us over £1000 and I felt we were just being rubber stamped. In fact the doctor said to me at one stage is I only write down the medical history you tell me. Apparently most of the doctors there work on a locum service.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical for visa in London

What visa was this for?

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

i-130, My husband is American, I'm british, moving there to live with him.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry you didn't like your experience. That part about handicap access always puzzles me. IIRC, you need to arrange it in advance at the Embassy (if using a wheelchair).
There are lot of medical and other visa related posts more specific to your case in the marriage-based visa forum of BE; join us over there:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

How do I arrange the wheelchair access for the embassy?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:39 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we are here in the us and did medicals for our green cards here and the medical you describe wasn't vastly dissimilar to our experience. The genital check for me was literally the doc pulling up the gown and saying - yes you are a female. A bit flaming obvious really - as i was about 7 months pregnant at the time lol!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceans.apart
How do I arrange the wheelchair access for the embassy?
Ah, my correction... you don't have to arrange it with them in advance, but you let security know when you arrive.
http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...o_find_us.html

I do recall from a first-hand account that they will take you around back. That girl is quite severely limited, so I know if she made it, you can.

Originally Posted by MsElui
we are here in the us and did medicals for our green cards here and the medical you describe wasn't vastly dissimilar to our experience. The genital check for me was literally the doc pulling up the gown and saying - yes you are a female. A bit flaming obvious really - as i was about 7 months pregnant at the time lol!
Wellllll... you can't be too careful you know! Oregon man pregnant with third child

That 'check the external genitals' thing really riles people up, but it doesn't get done in every case.

I had to look up 'locum service'... does that mean temporary or fill-in staffing? I guess just the main surgery office could get certified, not the individual docs, but you know, the immigration medicals are an adventure. My DH had to go out after the exam, buy his own vax and return to the doc to get the jab. Go with the flow...
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

That's funny! But I didn't even get that! NOT that I'm complaining!!!! (in Reply to the look under your gown)

Last edited by oceans.apart; Jan 27th 2011 at 9:54 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:30 pm
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MsElui
as i was about 7 months pregnant at the time lol!
Lmao!!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:26 pm
C_C
Forum Regular

C_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud of

My experience with the medical in London was actually rather pleasant. I was in and out in just over an hour (most of which was spent waiting), but it was a rather quiet morning. I was the very first person of the day, and by the time I left there were another 4-5 people waiting to be seen.
Everyone I saw was pleasant, and especially the doctor (female) who took my blood samples and examined my body was super chatty
I didn't have my external genitals checked either - she just felt my tummy for a second and said "ok, you're a girl"

You're right about the disabled access - sorry you had this experience.

Re the MMR - yes, I was given it too, as apparently I only had the first dose when I was little, but not the second one. And she said I wasn't covered as an adult if I hadn't had the second one. And yes, she told me too not to get pregnant for 2-3 months after the vaccine just to be on the safe side of things. It doesn't mean that something bad will happen if you do, but there is the odd 1 in 1,000,000 chance that the foetus may be adversely affected by this vaccine. They say this just to be overly-cautious. The vaccine instructions for use they gave me say 28 days, so I think they just over-stress the potential implications.

Oh well, at least it was just one bad morning for you and now it's over. Good luck with your visa interview.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:02 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

There is, or was two offices for the doctors. The one I went to had a lift (elevator)
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

I had to look up 'locum service'... does that mean temporary or fill-in staffing?
It's always used for a substitute doctor in the UK -- from the Latin locum tenens. For example, when the doctor goes on vacation, he will arrange a "locum" to see his patients while he's away.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light

Can i just ask, is there only ONE USCIS civil surgeon in London??

If not, where can I find a list of USCIS Civil surgeons in London?

I only ask this because when I'll be sponsoring my parents to come over my dad is also a wheelchair user.

Do you get told to specifically go to the Knightsbridge one?? or are there others??
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by whatadiva
Can i just ask, is there only ONE USCIS civil surgeon in London??

If not, where can I find a list of USCIS Civil surgeons in London?

I only ask this because when I'll be sponsoring my parents to come over my dad is also a wheelchair user.

Do you get told to specifically go to the Knightsbridge one?? or are there others??
forget what i asked, i found the info here:

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/medical/...-0001-1007.pdf
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:21 pm
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by whatadiva
forget what i asked, i found the info here:

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/medical/...-0001-1007.pdf
Thanks!

Bookmarked and downloaded. It is out of date though, there is no mention that you have to bring a copy of your Police Certificate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.