Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Medical Exam - question re: vaccination records

Medical Exam - question re: vaccination records

Old May 8th 2004, 7:05 pm
Boise, ID

katie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant future
Default Medical Exam - question re: vaccination records

Hi Gang!
I have my Visa medical scheduled for this Wednesday & my Visa Interview scheduled for Friday May 28!!! Good God, that means it's all coming together!! We wait for so long, and then all of a sudden everything happens so quickly...

I'm wondering about my vaccinations...I'm required to have my vaccination records, but when I went to my doctor, she didn't have them (since I went to a pediatrician as a kid, and my records from there somehow didn't get transferred). She did, however, write a letter stating that I'm physically & mentally healthy, and listing the immunizations I received based on my birthdate. I also got a tetanus shot from her, since I hadn't had one in the past ten years.
BUT...now I'm worried that this letter won't be enough for the doctor at the medical. I've been told by people on another newsgroup that I could a) get vaccination records from my high school (but I'm kind of strapped for time, since the medical's on Wednesday!), or I could have the necessary vaccinations re-done (but the results take 7-10 days to get). Has anyone had any similar experiences at the Medical in Vancouver? Lately I'm the queen of "stressing about the little things", but I'm worried that this may actually be a "big thing"!!

Any comments/help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Katie
Old May 8th 2004, 7:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Exam - question re: vaccination records

I don't know what other site you are using but assume it is visajourney. The posters there should know that when you go for your K-1 medical the supplement will list what vaccinations are applicable to your age. The doctor also goes by the country you were raised in and what that country's requirements in terms of vaccinations are when determining what you are in need of. Canada, being very similar to the US in terms of vaccinations, means that you have had all of them with possibly the exception of the chicken pox vaccination and HepB innoculations. Your doctor could have done an antibody test for the pox to see if you have had it as a child and therefore are immune and don't require it. If you are in need of anything you can either opt to have it at the doctor's during the examination or chose to have it when you get to the US and before your AOS interview.

Either way, you should not have a problem with this portion of the medical.

Rete

Originally posted by katie4998
Hi Gang!
I have my Visa medical scheduled for this Wednesday & my Visa Interview scheduled for Friday May 28!!! Good God, that means it's all coming together!! We wait for so long, and then all of a sudden everything happens so quickly...

I'm wondering about my vaccinations...I'm required to have my vaccination records, but when I went to my doctor, she didn't have them (since I went to a pediatrician as a kid, and my records from there somehow didn't get transferred). She did, however, write a letter stating that I'm physically & mentally healthy, and listing the immunizations I received based on my birthdate. I also got a tetanus shot from her, since I hadn't had one in the past ten years.
BUT...now I'm worried that this letter won't be enough for the doctor at the medical. I've been told by people on another newsgroup that I could a) get vaccination records from my high school (but I'm kind of strapped for time, since the medical's on Wednesday!), or I could have the necessary vaccinations re-done (but the results take 7-10 days to get). Has anyone had any similar experiences at the Medical in Vancouver? Lately I'm the queen of "stressing about the little things", but I'm worried that this may actually be a "big thing"!!

Thanks!
Katie
Old May 8th 2004, 7:32 pm
Boise, ID

katie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant future

Hi Rete,

The other site is actually yahoo's canam couples newsgroup. Thanks so much for putting my mind at ease!! *phew*

Katie
Old May 8th 2004, 7:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rete,

The other site is actually yahoo's canam couples newsgroup. Thanks so much for putting my mind at ease!! *phew*

Katie

Hey that's cool. Another site for Can/Am couples. I love it. There are lots of us ;-)

Rete
Old May 8th 2004, 7:37 pm
Concierge

Originally posted by Rete
Hey that's cool. Another site for Can/Am couples. I love it. There are lots of us ;-)

Rete

Katie

On the Pox vaccination, I believe it is not given in Canada. My husband only had it as part of the military experience and his spending so much time overseas and not from his personal physican as a child.

You might want to have your doctor do the antibody test anyway so that if you are required to have it after coming to the US you will have the results that say you are immune (if you are) and thus you won't have to have innoculation.

Rete
Old May 8th 2004, 7:44 pm
Boise, ID

Thanks for the tip, Rete! I'll talk to my doc about that

-Katie
Old May 8th 2004, 8:48 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gang!

Thanks!
Katie
Hey Worrier!!

My Dr didn't have my vaccination record either so she wrote a letter stating that I was healthy and made a list of the immunizations based on my age too... It worked for me! I hope it works for you too!!

Hyper-Wisdom Teethless
Old May 9th 2004, 1:06 am
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Hey Worrier!!

My Dr didn't have my vaccination record either so she wrote a letter stating that I was healthy and made a list of the immunizations based on my age too... It worked for me! I hope it works for you too!!

Hyper-Wisdom Teethless

Thanks Hyper! I'm glad to hear it worked for you!! Between Rita & you, I've managed to stop worrying about that part!

On another note, I'll be getting my wisdom teeth out on June 11...ugh...was it horrible?? (i'm torturing myself by asking, I know...)