Medical - B1/2 Tourist visa

Old Jan 17th 2020, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Shade2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical - B1/2 Tourist visa

Good day everyone,

Hope someone can give a little advice, went for a medical for my b1 tourist visa as per the recommendation of the embassy due to a criminal conviction for drink driving and was advised that the medical report would be submitted to them between 5-7 working days providing there was no further information required after the test results. My medical was last Friday 10th and yesterday I had a email from the embassy advising I needed to log on to my account and check my updates, I logged on to find they have requested my passport to sent in and I am unsure why they would need it back to be able to make a decision on the final outcome regarding the medical, I would greatly appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

P.s just a side note I have seen many posts regarding ESTA and not being honest on them and then needing to apply for the full B1/B2 Tourist Visa, from my personal experience recently they do cross check ESTA questions and answers to the Visa application answers as this came up in my interview not because I wasnt honest btw but because of a conviction on my record for driving.

Last edited by Shade2001; Jan 17th 2020 at 5:06 am. Reason: title
Old Jan 17th 2020, 5:15 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical - B1/2 Tourist visa

When you're requested to send in your passport, it normally means they've taken the decision to grant your visa and need the passport back to attach the visa to it.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Oh ok I was concerned as the process has taken considerable time and costs and was about to get to the end of my tether with it all just to visit the states and my concern was that they have requested it pretty fast given the medical was only a week ago

Thanks for your reply though
Old Jan 17th 2020, 6:00 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shade2001
Oh ok I was concerned as the process has taken considerable time and costs and was about to get to the end of my tether with it all just to visit the states and my concern was that they have requested it pretty fast given the medical was only a week ago

Thanks for your reply though
Why were you applying for a B visa? Do you have other convictions apart from the drink driving that made you ineligible for ESTA for example?
Old Jan 17th 2020, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Yes I do, I had a DD charge in 2017 Oct however it was about 12 years since any other convictions so obviously I had to answer the ESTA questions appropriately and was rejected which I had anticipated and had planned for when researching my viability to visit the states and at interview I was rejected on a 221(d) (I think it was) and was referred to have a medical which I attended. I had been advised by other people that as I had been referred for a medical my chances were slim which is why their email request for my passport caught me off guard.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 7:30 am
Account Closed

Yes I do, I had a DD charge in 2017 Oct however it was about 12 years since any other convictions so obviously I had to answer the ESTA questions appropriately and was rejected which I had anticipated and had planned for when researching my viability to visit the states and at interview I was rejected on a 221(d) (I think it was) and was referred to have a medical which I attended. I had been advised by other people that as I had been referred for a medical my chances were slim which is why their email request for my passport caught me off guard.
So the previous convictions made you ineligible for ESTA? Were they crimes of moral turpitude or similar offences?

Just asking, because drink driving on its own would not be cause to fall foul of the eligibility questions on ESTA and be denied.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 7:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
When you're requested to send in your passport, it normally means they've taken the decision to grant your visa and need the passport back to attach the visa to it.
Agree with the above, they approved you.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
So the previous convictions made you ineligible for ESTA? Were they crimes of moral turpitude or similar offences?

Just asking, because drink driving on its own would not be cause to fall foul of the eligibility questions on ESTA and be denied.
Yes my previous convictions made me ineligible for a ESTA from the start regardless of the DD charge but I went through the ESTA process anyway for some silly reason and then after my ESTA rejection applied for the B1/2 Tourist Visa and had a interview and was rejected pending a medical. The verbal reason given on the day was that because my DD charge was less than 5 yrs old they would have made that refferal regardless. At that point I had to make a choice to spend the money and go for the medical and see what the outcome was or leave it a couple more years but would still have to apply for the B1/2 Visa, I decided I had spent (x) amount up to that point I may as well see it through as a full rejection would be better than a pulled application as it may look like i had something to hide if I ever applied again in the future.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

Yes my previous convictions made me ineligible for a ESTA from the start regardless of the DD charge but I went through the ESTA process anyway for some silly reason and then after my ESTA rejection applied for the B1/2 Tourist Visa and had a interview and was rejected pending a medical. The verbal reason given on the day was that because my DD charge was less than 5 yrs old they would have made that refferal regardless. At that point I had to make a choice to spend the money and go for the medical and see what the outcome was or leave it a couple more years but would still have to apply for the B1/2 Visa, I decided I had spent (x) amount up to that point I may as well see it through as a full rejection would be better than a pulled application as it may look like i had something to hide if I ever applied again in the future.
Thanks for clarifying the full circumstances and good luck to you. Seems as though you will be receiving your visa soon and can plan for your visit to the US.