Media Jobs ???

Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

georgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nice
Default Media Jobs ???

Hi all

Well we've been here just over a year and loving living here in Boston, MA

Only sticking point is that my husband has been unable to find work .... He's an ex BBC TV Health Correspondant looking to stay in TV but off air position as a producer .... But as he doesn't have a US degree he can't even get in front of the right people to get interviewed .....

He's got 20 years of experience and the BBC have given him a 2 yr sabbatical to come and live here .... which is up in June ... which means he can go back to his great job in the UK .. .but we don't want to go back !!!

Does anyone have any HELPFUL tips or hints as to how to break into this market ????

OOh should also tell you that he's been accepted to UMASS to do a degree in double quick time (part time) .... he's got a tonne of credits for his experience !!!! which in time will mean he isn't automatically disqualified from applying as he'll have the degree !!!!

Anyway don't want to bore - but helpful resources or tips gratefully received ...

Thanks

Georgia
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Media Jobs ???

Contacts...simple as that.

Apart from linkedin, get involved in media stuff, plenty of people in media do theatre projects, so getting involved in that would be a good way to meet up with people.

Also Comcast are all over the place, I know they made a bunch redundant, but a mate works for them after getting rehired, works on advertising for local businesses and the like but it's a way in.

Plenty of radio channels too to look at as well as digital media companies, gorilla marketing firms - http://www.pangeamedia.com/ shite like that are everywhere...
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

georgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob

Apart from linkedin, get involved in media stuff, plenty of people in media do theatre projects, so getting involved in that would be a good way to meet up with people.

Also Comcast are all over the place, I know they made a bunch redundant, but a mate works for them after getting rehired, works on advertising for local businesses and the like but it's a way in.

Plenty of radio channels too to look at as well as digital media companies, gorilla marketing firms - http://www.pangeamedia.com/ shite like that are everywhere...
Hi Bob

He's got good contacts with most of the public radio stations ... but they aren't hiring at the moment, plus when they advertise they specify 4 year BA as a minimum requirement ... He's on LinkedIN also ..

but i'll pass on the comcast tip and also the tip regarding theatre .. that's not something we've thought of so thanks for that !!!

He's done free charity speaking roles too ... life of a BBC reporter etc but it's tough out there at the moment ..

Anyway .. thanks for the tips bob everything helps !!!

Plus you are so right .. in life it's hardly ever what you know .. and more often who you know !!!

Georgia
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by georgiaw
Hi Bob

He's got good contacts with most of the public radio stations ... but they aren't hiring at the moment, plus when they advertise they specify 4 year BA as a minimum requirement ... He's on LinkedIN also ..
Don't worry about it, it's usually just fluff about a degree being a requirement...just a simple process to filter out resumes as they get hundreds per job, could just as easily be dropping anyone who said they went to BU or whatever.

Trick is getting the resume to who will see it as they'll be impressed with the experience over the jobsworth paid to filter resumes out in HR.

That's where linkedin is useful. I've posted before, but essentially search the company in linkedin, go through all the names and keep the name of the people you think you'll work with, creative director or whatever it might be for your sector.

Continue going through names till either you find someone who has their company email address shown in their profile or the HR recruiter who probably has. Copy the email and replace with the name of person your interested in as you'll have the company email structure. Failing finding an email, google the persons name, chances are you'll find an email somehow, either on their blog or personal website.

Sorted, now by passed HR and you've told whoever might be interested why your great, what your experiences are and how you meet or exceed what they are looking for.

And still be prepared to get knock backs, but this way you'll be able to ask for feedback after a few weeks, stick in their minds and ask about other opportunities they might have or know about. Shows you've done a bit of research and become a familiarity rather than a piece of paper.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:10 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Although there's nothing there for you at the moment, I'd recommend MediaBistro as a good source not only for job listings, but also for networking events. Most of the events on the East coast are in NYC, which could be a bit of a hike, but TBH, that's where the jobs are.

Give it a shot, subscribe to their daily newsletter, and see if something comes up. Good luck!

Last edited by Ridski; Dec 14th 2009 at 6:11 pm. Reason: forgot to add a link
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

twodice is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ridski
Although there's nothing there for you at the moment, I'd recommend MediaBistro as a good source not only for job listings, but also for networking events. Most of the events on the East coast are in NYC, which could be a bit of a hike, but TBH, that's where the jobs are.

Give it a shot, subscribe to their daily newsletter, and see if something comes up. Good luck!
Ill be looking into this aswell, planning on getting involved when I head out in 2010, hopefully the industry will pick up and they will let some grads in, Im trying to get any entry level roles here in London with no luck so going to head the unpaid route with my degree. Linkedin is where the people are, being young I have to work my way in. Any tips or leads you can give for a guy who will be going into the industry next year form london to nyc?
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:51 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twodice
Ill be looking into this aswell, planning on getting involved when I head out in 2010, hopefully the industry will pick up and they will let some grads in, Im trying to get any entry level roles here in London with no luck so going to head the unpaid route with my degree. Linkedin is where the people are, being young I have to work my way in. Any tips or leads you can give for a guy who will be going into the industry next year form london to nyc?
Well, obviously the first question is what kind of visa are you coming over on?
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:05 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

What about thinking sideways? Any of the big health organizations? American Cancer Society, Red Cross. BIG hospitals- PR dept- media relations etc???
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

twodice is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, obviously the first question is what kind of visa are you coming over on?
Visas in the pipeline, CR-1 and planning on heading out in 12-15 months from now once i get more experience and save some cash, graduate / entry level jobs are hard to find these days!
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by cindyabs
What about thinking sideways? Any of the big health organizations? American Cancer Society, Red Cross. BIG hospitals- PR dept- media relations etc???
Childrens hospital is a good one for that...

Also the colleges, especially MIT have decent media courses, so they'd be worth checking out with the amount of experience the OP has.

Bit of a shit alternative, but in Waltham, the big massive shiny building on I-95, one of the companies there is one of the largest media online and mail advertising places and they're usually looking for people with media and marketing experience.

Loads of insurance companies too around here that have media departments and finance companies to a lesser extent.

Monster and Careerbuilder are also based here and probably have some sort of media department.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:53 pm
Diamond Geezer

Originally Posted by twodice
Visas in the pipeline, CR-1 and planning on heading out in 12-15 months from now once i get more experience and save some cash, graduate / entry level jobs are hard to find these days!
Ok, that's cool. Didn't want you thinking you could just fly over after Uni and pick up a job, but I guess you've got that more than covered.

You are right, though. Graduate level jobs are difficult to come by. Bring plenty of optimism and confidence with you, you'll need it, and interviewers will feed off that.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 11:16 pm
BritChickUS

kwilson will become famous soon enoughkwilson will become famous soon enough

Start blogging! Show his expertise in the area he used to be a correspondent in, get some followers, submit his articles to the free article sites (eZine.com, FreeArticles.com), follow other bloggers in his space, use Twitter etc.

Simply put - build his reputation as an expert in his field, get his online profile and reputation built and the offers will come, believe me.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:01 pm
Diamond Geezer

Originally Posted by kwilson
Start blogging! Show his expertise in the area he used to be a correspondent in, get some followers, submit his articles to the free article sites (eZine.com, FreeArticles.com), follow other bloggers in his space, use Twitter etc.

Simply put - build his reputation as an expert in his field, get his online profile and reputation built and the offers will come, believe me.
Very smart idea.

My wife decided to do a radio course to pursue her dream of being a talk radio host. When it was over, she discovered she could continue to use the school's studios indefinitely as a grad, so I told her to start a podcast, build a reputation and a voice for herself, and have something more than just audition tapes she could send to job offers. She did work on satellite radio for a year, but was let go, so she switched directions and has just gotten picked up on an 18 month contract for a voice talent agency doing voice over work for TV & Radio commercials and animation. Still waiting for that big break, but, you know what, she's also still doing the podcast and loves it, and does have a small but dedicated following.

Always best to show what you can do, and that people are willing to read/listen/get involved in it, rather than just sit back and hope for the best. America does love its go-getters!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:12 pm
BritChickUS

kwilson will become famous soon enoughkwilson will become famous soon enough

Very smart idea.
Thanks Ridski!

America does love its go-getters!
Sure does!