Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Media (I) Visa - Anyone with experience or knowledge?

Media (I) Visa - Anyone with experience or knowledge?

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

RobertJMac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Media (I) Visa - Anyone with experience or knowledge?

Thanks for the help received in my other thread. I have searched for the forum for threads specific to this Visa and did not find very much. I hope people don't mind me starting another thread just to differentiate and grab the attention of anyone with knowledge or experience of this Visa who wouldn't otherwise see my other thread.

----------------------------------------------

I guess I'm asking for two types of people:

i) Anyone that has entered the US with an I Visa. Especially as a freelance.
ii) Anyone with a working knowledge of the Visa.

The criteria for the I Visa comes across as fairly simple. If I could show US Immigration that I have a contract to conduct newsgathering in the US for a UK audience then I will be able to get in for a year and renew it yearly thereafter. However surely it isn't that simple!!

Questions include:

a) How difficult is it to prove that the work you are contracted to do is Visa-worthy?
b) Is it very hard to renew year after year and do they eventually get fed up of you stringing them along and are likely to deny your request eventually even if your work contract is still the same?
c) What is the cost to an employer (my freelance commissioner) and how long does it take for the Visa application to be granted?

I'm sure I'll think of other questions as this thread continues, but I'd love to hear from somebody that has got in on an I Visa, especially as a freelance.

Last edited by RobertJMac; Jun 3rd 2008 at 9:12 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Media (I) Visa - Anyone with experience or knowledge?

Originally Posted by RobertJMac
Thanks for the help received in my other thread. I have searched for the forum for threads specific to this Visa and did not find very much. I hope people don't mind me starting another thread just to differentiate and grab the attention of anyone with knowledge or experience of this Visa who wouldn't otherwise see my other thread.
Very plainly laid out here

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1276.html
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sort of explains many questions I have regarding Journalism, especially when it comes to immigration issues.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to hear from somebody that has got in on an I Visa, especially as a freelance.
Off the top of my head, I really don't recall anyone going for an I visa and posting in these forums. You might want to also ask the question on the two big Usenet newsgroups: alt.visa.us and misc.immigration.usa.

Ian
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Off the top of my head, I really don't recall anyone going for an I visa and posting in these forums. You might want to also ask the question on the two big Usenet newsgroups: alt.visa.us and misc.immigration.usa.
Those groups aren't big anymore. 95% of the posts therein must have come from BE before the plug was pulled, because they're virtually dead now. My observation is that Usenet traffic is way, way down anyhow due to the proliferation of web forums.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:13 am
Just Joined

That link answered a lot of my initial questions Ray... now all I am wondering is if the whole thing is feasible.

The first part of the struggle would obviously still be getting a freelance contract to 'newsgather' in the US. I have a couple of contacts who I do politically-geared work for on occasion, and obviously plan to make many more contacts like this in the next year or two. I assume covering matters of US politics could quite easily class as newsgathering as opposed to entertainment (which is exempt from the I Visa)

The bigger struggle would be the logistics of it all.

For a start, I would be living in the US but getting paid into a UK bank account. How would that work and would I be taxed twice? Firstly PAYE in the UK and then when transfering my money (which would class as income) to the US.

Plan A is still to get a sponsoring job offer from a US company... but while I spend the next year contacting anyone I can think of, I'd also like to consider this back-up option.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

How would that work and would I be taxed twice?
There is a US/UK tax treaty... the practical upshot of which is that you avoid double taxation! On a US tax return, for example, you would include your UK income at the beginning, but subtract it out again later on because you've already paid tax on it.

Ian
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Well, that's good news for a start.

If I got granted an I Visa for one particular work contract, am I restricted from doing any other work while in the US?

The main reason I ask is because even full time freelancing is not exactly the most well paid of jobs - although I would of course have the exchange rate going in my favour.

I would be tempted to supplement my income with a second job, but I am guessing this is probably illegal and not an option?

Would I not be allowed to accept paid freelance commissions from US clients?

Would I be allowed to accept supplementary commissions from UK clients and carry out the work in the US?

Surely that would be too easy to be true?
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

For a start, I would be living in the US but getting paid into a UK bank account. How would that work and would I be taxed twice? Firstly PAYE in the UK and then when transfering my money (which would class as income) to the US.
Ian is correct; the tax treaty will prevent "double taxation". You would file returns in both countries but use the provisions of the treaty to either exclude foreign income or claim credit for foreign tax paid. There is more than one way to do the paperwork, but the end result should be the equivalent of a single tax hit. And don't confuse earning income with transferring funds. If your salary is paid into a UK account, transferring it to a US account doesn't mean you are "earning" it again. A simple transfer of funds is not a taxable event.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, that's good news for a start.

If I got granted an I Visa for one particular work contract, am I restricted from doing any other work while in the US?

The main reason I ask is because even full time freelancing is not exactly the most well paid of jobs - although I would of course have the exchange rate going in my favour.

I would be tempted to supplement my income with a second job, but I am guessing this is probably illegal and not an option?

Would I not be allowed to accept paid freelance commissions from US clients?

Would I be allowed to accept supplementary commissions from UK clients and carry out the work in the US?

Surely that would be too easy to be true?
You need to go back and re-read the link that Ray gave you.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

I was under the impression that in cases such as this, where you are covered by a double taxation treaty and do not have immigrant status or a SS number you are exempted from filing a US tax return. You get an ITIN instead of a SS number.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
I was under the impression that in cases such as this, where you are covered by a double taxation treaty and do not have immigrant status or a SS number you are exempted from filing a US tax return.
Your immigrant status is largely irrelevant for IRS purposes. If you are "resident" in the US (as defined by IRS), you must file a return. You need either a SSN or an ITIN... but you must still file. Of course, if your income is below a certain amount, you are exempt... but even so, it's always a good idea to file even if not required. (I fully expect some flack for this comment... so, bring it on!)

So, all those undocumented alien workers in CA, NM, AZ, and TX - even though they have no legal immigrant status, are still required to file a tax return (assuming they have sufficient income). I agree it's somewhat ludicrous in that situation considering that they are trying to stay under the radar... but hey... this is the USA - we welcome ludicrous!

Ian