May have overstayed visa

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

77alphafox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default May have overstayed visa

Hi,

In 1999, when I was ten, our family moved to Pennsylvania. I believe my dad was on an L1 Visa that lasted for a year. When the visas expired, my parents applied for a renewal, however, i think that no decision was made. Our Visa's expired, and we continued to stay in the US, just not travelling internationally.

Fast forward to 2007, we move back to the UK. We only ever had visas for that one year. Were we illegal from 2000-2007? Each of us has been back to the US on the visa waiver 4-5 times a year since we have been back, and have never had any trouble going in and out.

Since coming back at the age of 17, I have found it really difficult adjusting to life back in the UK and feel more "American" than British, and obviously I would like to return as soon as I can. Ideally, as soon as I finish my degree here.

My question is, would I ever be eligible to for another Visa, seeing as technically I overstayed my last one, even though I was a minor for the duration, and would the fact that I spent my formative years there help my case at all?

Thanks for the reply, and sorry about the wordy post

77af
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:47 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: May have overstayed visa

I'll say it before someone else does, read this

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Any overstay you may have shouldn't cause a life ban, but finding a valid reason for a visa is going to be a bigger problem.

Welcome to BE
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: May have overstayed visa

Originally Posted by 77alphafox
My question is, would I ever be eligible to for another Visa
Yes.

... seeing as technically I overstayed my last one
Not "technically"... actually!

... even though I was a minor for the duration
Since you left prior to turning 18, you accrued NO overstay time; therefore, no ban on returning.

... would the fact that I spent my formative years there help my case at all?
No.

Ian